News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

raymusiccity

One wishes that the Speedway unto itself will become a thing of the past sooner as opposed to later...

Lot of valuable real estate there...

It's always the adults wishing things away, then gnashing their teeth when they're disappointed with the mediocre replacement. I'll bet there were many that complained about the boring scenes in Snow Whites Scary Adventure.....so, now we have another Meet & Greet :( I've never seen anyone exiting the Speedway saying, 'I wish they'd get rid of that ride!'

It's always the adults wishing things away, then gnashing their teeth when they're disappointed with the mediocre replacement. I'll bet there were many that complained about the boring scenes in Snow Whites Scary Adventure.....so, now we have another Meet & Greet :( I've never seen anyone exiting the Speedway saying, 'I wish they'd get rid of that ride!'

I've never heard anyone say they wish we had a meet & greet instead of the Speedway. This seems like a bit of a strawman. While people might not complain after riding that doesn't preclude them from preferring something better if that were on the table. What some call charming I find a carnival distraction. Not everything can or will be an E-ticket, but they can do better. If they're not replacing it transitioning it to electric with an overlay makes sense and would calm most critics.

"It will reopen as the same attraction our guests know and love in the summer of 2019." This statement couldn't be more clear that there will NOT be a re-theme before summer 2019. Disney would never call a rethemed attraction "the same." No way to spin that. However, this does not preclude them from retheming AFTER summer 2019, with it perhaps closing again in 2021.

britain

Yes, if it was going to open with a different theme, this was their chance to say so, or say nothing. Instead they clearly stated it would be the same – no change.

Now, by the 50th? Plenty of time for a Tron overlay.

NelsonRD

Adjusted. The assumption I am reading here is the track will get even shorter. What is the possibility the track will get longer?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Of course, if you like the smell, then that's not an improvement. ;)

Electric cars with simulated engine noise could be nice, as long as there aren't any charging issues.

Tom P.

One wishes that the Speedway unto itself will become a thing of the past sooner as opposed to later...

Lot of valuable real estate there...
Not everyone thinks that. I, for one, want to see it stay. Re-theming is fine. Removing it? No way.

It is a popular attraction. It is always busy. People enjoy it. And Walt Disney World, unlike Disneyland, is hardly short on real estate.

What's the harm in keeping it, even if you personally don't like it?

JohnD

It is physically possible to run the trains in reverse. For many operational and safety reasons they likely would never do this again.

They run the trains in reverse probably every night back to the train house beyond the Fantasyland station (they switch the track). I can’t see them switching the track back so that it runs in reverse all the way back to Main Street in regular operation, though.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Not everyone thinks that. I, for one, want to see it stay. Re-theming is fine. Removing it? No way.

It is a popular attraction. It is always busy. People enjoy it. And Walt Disney World, unlike Disneyland, is hardly short on real estate.

What's the harm in keeping it, even if you personally don't like it?
For me, I wouldnt mind if it went away for something new. But at the same time, I wouldn't mind it staying if they did an overhaul and re-imagined it to be something that reflects tomorrow land. I'll admit I don't care about it but kids do love it. So just make it better and I don't think anyone will really have a problem.

JohnD

Why do people care about the theme of the speedway? It’s hardly “tomorrow” in Tomorrowland. Replace it with something else. I don’t care if it’s extra greenery between Tron and the tea cups.

DisAl

They run the trains in reverse probably every night back to the train house beyond the Fantasyland station (they switch the track). I can’t see them switching the track back so that it runs in reverse all the way back to Main Street in regular operation, though.
The trains could run back and forth in an emergency, but there would be too many safety issues to do it on a regular basis. There would not be any track switching to do because the only switch they have is the one to back the train into the "roundhouse". A much bigger issue would be the fact that there are no brakes on the locomotives. The only brakes are on the passenger cars, so rather than tension between the cars and locomotive when stopping the locomotive would be pushing towards the cars. I would think there would also be an increased risk of derailment with the locomotive pushing rather than pulling. (Think about pushing a rope instead of pulling it....)
And finally, it would be hard to understand the narrative played backwards. ;)
.egalliv naidni na ees ew thgir eht no pu gnimoC

Last edited:

peter11435

Correct they run in reverse every night. I should have been more clear. I meant they will likely never do this again in normal operation with guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom