News Tomorrowland Speedway and Walt Disney World Railroad to be impacted by TRON construction at the Magic Kingdom

Goofyernmost

We rode the speedway a couple weeks ago so we could get a closer look at Tron. I don't have any issues with a "drive your own" car ride just this version of it. I understand it is suppose to replicate racing but that doesn't come off well. The one at Disneyland is so much more interesting with it's spaghetti layout, up and down the hills and all the trees and bushes. I would prefer the land under the speedway to be used for a couple of new attractions or scrape out the speedway and put in a much more interesting Autopia. The white Christmas decorations were kind of neat and retro.
It does to a kid! It is amazing to me that a child can understand that it is not "racing", and an adult cannot accept that. To a kid it is driving, we adults can call it whatever we want, it is still a fun adventure for them. Most kids have boundless imaginations, something real life takes away from us grown-ups. The only theme it needs is the illusion that it is a highway and they are driving. That is what they are concentrating on, it could be in a cardboard box for all they care. Hell, when I was a kid I used to have imaginary trips across country pushing myself around, in a field (with one foot) in a little red wagon. White Christmas decorations, trees and bushes are for the entertainment of adults.

culturenthrills

I’m sure they need to beef up staffing but honestly isn’t this probably due to firework times? The fireworks are at 8:15, the train track is right in the fallout zone so in order for them to have enough time to cycle out, put the trains away and secure the area, I doubt they could stay open much later anyway…
They used to stay open to close. Usually pausing for the fireworks.

bcoachable

It does to a kid! It is amazing to me that a child can understand that it is not "racing", and an adult cannot accept that. To a kid it is driving, we adults can call it whatever we want, it is still a fun adventure for them. Most kids have boundless imaginations, something real life takes away from us grown-ups. The only theme it needs is the illusion that it is a highway and they are driving. That is what they are concentrating on, it could be in a cardboard box for all they care. Hell, when I was a kid I used to have imaginary trips across country pushing myself around, in a field (with one foot) in a little red wagon. White Christmas decorations, trees and bushes are for the entertainment of adults.
This is such a GREAT reminder! You just did a book report on “Hook” and didn’t even know it!

disneytrain2001

Different railroads haha!

Yes and to make matters worse the engineer was waving to the camera and let it go on for what felt like an eternity! They are going to ruin the locomotives if they can’t figure this out.
You have a point there. I mean the trainee engineer should be more concentrating on operating the locomotive's traction, instead of waving at the guests, although it makes sense that she's a friendly cast member. But STILL, IMO, she could have opened the cylinder drain to reduce the wheel slip while having the throttle fully opened.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

You have a point there. I mean the trainee engineer should be more concentrating on operating the locomotive's traction, instead of waving at the guests, although it makes sense that she's a friendly cast member. But STILL, IMO, she could have opened the cylinder drain to reduce the wheel slip while having the throttle fully opened.
I hope they got it sorted out in the year that has passed since the post you responded to was made

disneytrain2001

I hope they got it sorted out in the year that has passed since the post you responded to was made
Don't worry, I heard they're now under strict training to teach these rookie engineers by opening the cylinder drain and ease on the throttle while departing each station. Here's an example:

Last edited:

disneytrain2001

I just saw a horrendous video of Lily pulling out of the Fantasyland station. If you don’t know, there’s a grade pulling out of there and it can be somewhat difficult to pull out if that station, especially with a train full of guests. If the engineer isn’t skilled, then the wheels will just keep spinning and the train will barely move. This is what happened in that video. It doesn’t reflect well on their training and it can be harmful to the locomotives.
I don't think the engineer is spinning the Lilly Belle's wheels "on purpose" mind you. I'm pretty sure there's a logical explanation on what happened here. But I hope someone goes under investigation on the WDWRR to ask the engineer on why she spins the Lilly Belle's wheels. 🤔

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I don't think the engineer is spinning the Lilly Belle's wheels "on purpose" mind you. I'm pretty sure there's a logical explanation on what happened here. But I hope someone goes under investigation on the WDWRR to ask the engineer on why she spins the Lilly Belle's wheels. 🤔
You do understand the spin was over a year ago and no one is seeing it currently?

disneytrain2001

You do understand the spin was over a year ago and no one is seeing it currently?
Look I know wheel-slippage is dangerous and harmful to every locomotive far from it. But I was so steamed-off about some people on Twitter making very snide remarks to that rather unpleasant incident and claimed that the trainee doesn't deserve to be an engineer, which was very unconstructive, unhelpful, and uncalled for! 😠

Last edited:

Disone

Look I know wheel-slippage is dangerous and harmful to every locomotive far from it. But I was so steamed-off about some people on Twitter making very snide remarks to that rather unpleasant incident and claimed that the trainee doesn't deserve to be an engineer, which was very unconstructive, unhelpful, and uncalled for! 😠
I got a little side tracked myself....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom