Tomorrowland new entrance

mickEblu

I'm not 100% certain, but I beleive it was either his idea or an idea he agreed with to place the sculpted 'planetary' rocks and the Astro Orbitor at the entrance.
I have heard him several times mention the reason for their placement, which I mentioned in my prior post being they were to be the iconic 'gateway' to the land.
Much like Adventureland has its Polynesian themed gateway, Frontierland has its wooden fort, and Fantasyland has its famous Castle.
That was the thinking at least.

The Orbitor had to go somewhere ground level due to the mechanics underneath it.
There was just no way it could be adapted to be placed high above as the old AstroJets were.
I'd love to see them try to create a new version to mount up there on the old pedestal, but with today's strict coding and needing ramp ways / handicapped access to the upper platform it would probably be a nightmare to sort out.

-

I think it was a good idea to have an Icon I just think a spinner was a poor choice. Adventureland and Frontierland gateways are tucked back and more understated. The castle is the icon of the park so that doesn’t count and it’s also not a spinner. Lol.

Yeah I’m hoping they address this issue and get a Rocket Jets equivalent up high again.

Phroobar

Original Poster
So I assume the box is mechanical equipment for the ride? That is another reason they needed to hide it with the crystal rocks.

George Lucas on a Bench

Rock update. I don't know how much longer I have to enjoy them.

20190914_140041_HDR.jpg

20190914_140303_HDR.jpg

SuddenStorm

Better photos of the new lowered curb in front of Tomorrowland, with additional benches added in front of wall. Umbrella in front of construction removed since yesterday, in yet another cut. I'm reminded of the legendary smoking area umbrella that's spoken of only in whisper.

But, in all seriousness, I question the wisdom of lowering the curb along the parade route. I imagine having a physical barrier for people to sit on, and that people are naturally trained not to cross helps make it just a little easier to handle the crowds at parade time.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Original Poster
Better photos of the new lowered curb in front of Tomorrowland, with additional benches added in front of wall. Umbrella in front of construction removed since yesterday, in yet another cut. I'm reminded of the legendary smoking area umbrella that's spoken of only in whisper.

View attachment 411017

View attachment 411018

But, in all seriousness, I question the wisdom of lowering the curb along the parade route. I imagine having a physical barrier for people to sit on, and that people are naturally trained not to cross helps make it just a little easier to handle the crowds at parade time.
Except after the parade when the crush of people make you trip over the curb and the flow pushes you out of the park.

mickEblu

View attachment 411017

View attachment 411018

How has the lowering of the curbs effected parade viewing? Doesn’t look very comfortable to sit flat on the ground without even a curb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom