Tomorrowland Overhaul Speculation

trainplane3

For those wondering about Tron in DL TL...from over at the DHS RotR thread:
And Disneyland gets this by 2028 (does not include redos)
  • Avengers E-ticket (2022?)
  • Mickey Ride E-ticket (2022)
  • Coco D/E-ticket (2023?)
  • TRON variation E-ticket (2024?)
  • Galaxy's Edge E-ticket (2028?)
  • Throw in at least another one or two rides
No variant of Tron is on the way. It requires far, far too much land.

mccgavin

You know it is a lie since it says Galaxy's Edge E-ticket. Does it really take eight years to come up with an X-Wing coaster?
I will never understand why people want this. Neither Disneyland or Walt Disney World need another enclosed space-themed roller coaster. Disneyland has 1 and WDW will soon have 2. A thrill-oriented ride would be cool for the land, but not that.

TROR

I will never understand why people want this. Neither Disneyland or Walt Disney World need another enclosed space-themed roller coaster. Disneyland has 1 and WDW will soon have 2. A thrill-oriented ride would be cool for the land, but not that.
An indoor coaster with full sets and show scenes as opposed to just a ride in the dark with John Williams music blasting and sitting in an X Wing doesn’t excite you?

mccgavin

An indoor coaster with full sets and show scenes as opposed to just a ride in the dark with John Williams music blasting and sitting in an X Wing doesn’t excite you?
Realistically if it had been done, it would likely have turned out very similar to the Guardians Coaster currently being built in Epcot. While those patents looked pretty cool, I'm somewhat doubtful that's what the final product would've looked like. One thing I like about Galaxy's Edge is the uniqueness of the attractions, and even if you're not a fan of how they were executed, I feel like conceptually they were both great ideas.

mickEblu

Because coasters are fun. I don’t trust WDI with some new age fancy smancy thrill ride. The land doesn’t need another ROTR or simulator. It needs a real thrill ride. What ride system would you propose for the land?

TROR

Realistically if it had been done, it would likely have turned out very similar to the Guardians Coaster currently being built in Epcot. While those patents looked pretty cool, I'm somewhat doubtful that's what the final product would've looked like. One thing I like about Galaxy's Edge is the uniqueness of the attractions, and even if you're not a fan of how they were executed, I feel like conceptually they were both great ideas.
I remember criticizing the concept of the Falcon when the rumors first appeared on MiceChat. I was right in all my critiques.

mickEblu

I remember criticizing the concept of the Falcon when the rumors first appeared on MiceChat. I was right in all my critiques.

I was right on a lot of my predictions on GE And it’s effect (or lack thereof) on DL. I knew Falcon was going to be a dud a few months before it opened. With that said, when Falcon was first announced I really thought it was going to be this amazing next gen simulator (before details started coming in). I thought being that this was going to be the FALCON in Disney’s new billion dollar land that it had to be next level. Not sure exactly what I was expecting other than it was going to blow Star Tours out of the water because of the advanced tech over the past 30+ years, all the possibilities they could do with the Falcon and what I imagined the movement to be like.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

I was right on a lot of my predictions on GE And it’s effect (or lack thereof) on DL. I knew Falcon was going to be a dud a few months before it opened. With that said, when Falcon was first announced I really thought it was going to be this amazing next gen simulator (before details started coming in). I thought being that this was going to be the FALCON in Disney’s new billion dollar land that it had to be next level. Not sure exactly what I was expecting other than it was going to blow Star Tours out of the water because of the advanced tech over the past 30+ years, all the possibilities they could do with the Falcon and what I imagined the movement to be like.

It could have been a lot cooler. After ROTR, it feels even crappier like the rest of the land. Static, lifeless, unimpressive. I never liked the queue and even entering the cargo hold or whatever doesn't feel right because it never feels like you're actually entering the ship. This was what they did in ROTR with the bus ship and they actually transport you and you exit into another location rather convincingly.

Falcon feels like it was made 15 years ago. The screen is too dark with unimpressive graphics that mostly don't look cinematic or convincing (only the ending is rendered nicely), the interactivity is trash aside from pilots and the ride itself doesn't deliver any thrills. I remember how cool the old Star Tours was when you were driving down at the Death Star and you really felt the steep angle like Titanic slipping into the sea.

SuddenStorm

The year leading up to Galaxy's Edge open- as more and more details leaked- really started to demonstrate a lot of potential issues with the land.

Really helped me feel justified in my stance that it has no place inside Disneyland Park- and seeing the giant yawn the land has received from Disney fans, Star Wars fans, and the general public has been quite interesting. Even if we predicted it wouldn't be the home run Disney expected, I don't think any of us thought it'd be this bad.

Mac Tonight

The year leading up to Galaxy's Edge open- as more and more details leaked- really started to demonstrate a lot of potential issues with the land.

Really helped me feel justified in my stance that it has no place inside Disneyland Park- and seeing the giant yawn the land has received from Disney fans, Star Wars fans, and the general public has been quite interesting. Even if we predicted it wouldn't be the home run Disney expected, I don't think any of us thought it'd be this bad.
It is a real shame that the land didn't come together more cohesively to actually be a jaw-dropping, can't-miss experience. It also sets a pretty pessimistic table for any and all forthcoming "lands" or major E-ticket attractions (looking at you Avengers Campus!).

For a project that took so long to come to fruition, it somehow feels rushed and thrown together.
At the same time, now that Rise is open, it still somehow doesn't feel finished...

It's so many things... and yet, for me, "enjoyable" is pretty far down on the list.

Disneylover152

Last trip I took was for a school field trip with 15 of my classmates, none are major theme park fans and none have been to Disneyland before (seeing as we are from the Northeast). It was all of our first times in Galaxy's Edge and granted Rise of the Resistance wasn't open, but we probably spent a total of 10 minutes in the land (not counting Millenium Falcon). Some of them were Star Wars fans, and they still didn't really love the land. HyperSpace Mountain however we spent so much time riding & re-riding.

I don't really know what's wrong with Galaxy's Edge, but it just feels different and off. I also think it's sad that we spent more time on the Star Wars Space Mountain overlay that cost them $10 to do than the billion-dollar land they created. Not saying Galaxy's Edge is bad by any standards, it's just not good. A little disappointing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom