Tomorrowland Overhaul Speculation

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster
The only Disneyland projects rumored to be announced at D23 are a new parade to replace Soundsational, and new Marvel Land details. Are we expecting anything else? Maybe new Galaxy's Edge enhancements? Disneyland will look dead compared to the amount they will be announcing at Walt Disney World.

Unless...

Disneyland may be gearing up for an announcement that some may not be expecting. Why else would they announce Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway back in April at no major event? One reason... To announce an even bigger project at D23. Could this be the announcement of the Tomorrowland overhaul everyone has been waiting for? The subs are no longer being repaired, nor is Autopia. Rumor is Disneyland even lost a submarine. And Autopia's contract with Honda runs out in 2 years. What better timing to redo Tomorrowland than now? If this turns out to be correct, at the very most we will get the confirmation the overhaul and maybe one piece of concept art similar to the one we received at the 2017 D23 Expo for the Epcot Future World overhaul.

TROR

The only Disneyland projects rumored to be announced at D23 are a new parade to replace Soundsational, and new Marvel Land details. Are we expecting anything else? Maybe new Galaxy's Edge enhancements? Disneyland will look dead compared to the amount they will be announcing at Walt Disney World.

Unless...

Disneyland may be gearing up for an announcement that some may not be expecting. Why else would they announce Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway back in April at no major event? One reason... To announce an even bigger project at D23. Could this be the announcement of the Tomorrowland overhaul everyone has been waiting for? The subs are no longer being repaired, nor is Autopia. Rumor is Disneyland even lost a submarine. And Autopia's contract with Honda runs out in 2 years. What better timing to redo Tomorrowland than now? If this turns out to be correct, at the very most we will get the confirmation the overhaul and maybe one piece of concept art similar to the one we received at the 2017 D23 Expo for the Epcot Future World overhaul.
Lightyear’s also been left to the wayside.

Pam Hates Penguins

Original Poster
Bob Iger back at the Shareholder's Meeting in March confirmed that the Imagineers already have plans for Tomorrowland. Perhaps ready to at least confirm a major overhaul starting in the next couple of years?

"We have been working with the Imagineers to consider a number of different concepts for Tomorrowland. They've got some great plans that we've recently reviewed but nothing we are ready to announce at this point, but expect in the years ahead there will be a lot of Tomorrowland activity." - Bob Iger (3/7/2019)

TP2000

It needs a full replacement. Not another half-butt thing where they keep the Carousel of Progress and Bell System and Monsanto buildings intact and just repaint the submarine lagoon and Autopia cars. And of course Star Tours now seems pointless.

Just bulldoze it all and start over. I'm even over Space Mountain at this point. It's all just so trashy and half-assed to think about when you realize we are heading into the 2020's.

Snow Queen

It needs a full replacement. Not another half-butt thing where they keep the Carousel of Progress and Bell System and Monsanto buildings intact and just repaint the submarine lagoon and Autopia cars. And of course Star Tours now seems pointless.

Just bulldoze it all and start over. I'm even over Space Mountain at this point. It's all just so trashy and half-assed to think about when you realize we are heading into the 2020's.
I'm a little more married to Space Mountain and Star Tours than you are, but I have to agree overall. The whole area needs a complete refresh. No more breathing in fumes while sitting in traffic, that's for the drive to the park. No more giant building for some corporate showrooms. No more atmosphere of a poorly designed strip mall with a coat of paint.

Anjin

Space Mountain is an icon of the park, second only the Sleeping Beauty Castle. But since the Mary Blair murals are almost certainly lost to time, I would not blink if they leveled the rest of Tomorrowland.

Last edited:

britain

Bob Iger back at the Shareholder's Meeting in March confirmed that the Imagineers already have plans for Tomorrowland. Perhaps ready to at least confirm a major overhaul starting in the next couple of years?

"We have been working with the Imagineers to consider a number of different concepts for Tomorrowland. They've got some great plans that we've recently reviewed but nothing we are ready to announce at this point, but expect in the years ahead there will be a lot of Tomorrowland activity." - Bob Iger (3/7/2019)

Funny thing is about that quote, Iger was asked about WDW‘s Tomorrowland. However, I think that even though he was asked about Florida, when he answered he may have been thinking about California. Or both.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Aren’t you worried what current WDI / Chapek would do with it though? I agree that they need to start from scratch (except for Space Mountain which I think only needs exterior and interior Q work) I just worry that the we d lose the charm that it does have left and cohesiveness with Fantasyland/ Matterhorn for some slick soulless and most likely out of place structures. Like... Tron. It’ll most likely be a net loss in rides, charm and cohesiveness.

planodisney

I think a lot of DL fans are underestimating the huge effect that the reception of Galaxys Edge in Anaheim is going to have on the future of the resort. Hollywood Studios is about to open to massive crowds. Don’t believe me, the reservations for Savis workshop opened up yesterday and in 1 day there are no reservations available until October. I’m going September 23rd with my wife and kids and virtually everything is booked up from the Cantina to Savis and Droid Depot. The comparison between the 2 openings is going to place DLR and it’s fanbase and it’s ability to pull big spending tourists in a very very bad light to Disney Execs. I see massive purse strings being tightened out west and major additions shelved. As well as maintenance deteriorating.
I’m sorry but a large part of the local fanbase either and moan 24 hours a day about EVERYTHING, or they show up to the parks, looking and behaving like misfits/animals/white trash. I used to feel that DL had the higher class customers but man has that ever changed!!!
I think lean times are coming for Anaheim.
Either that, or they will finally say screw it to catering to and being fearful of the DL loyalists who want the park to be a museum and keep TDA from making the decisions to turn DLR into a true destination like Vegas or WDW or.........
Yes I’m looking at you puny castle that almost looks ridiculously little when walking down main street and is always the NUMBER 1 thing people who have visited other Disney destinations and then go to DL remember and talk about.
And no loyalists, they don’t go on and on about Pirates being 8 minutes longer and the cozy square in the back of New Orleans. FWIW, I love both of those aspects of DL. Just venting some frustration here over the poor reception of GE in Anaheim and ridiculous armchair imagineer “geniuses” who hate everything going on but are on Disney park fansites virtually 24 hours a day.

Ok there!!
Now be gentle with the returning onslaught please!
Believe it or not I hate confrontation but I guess I deserve what’s coming!!
I just want to see DLR do well and grow and have exciting expansions and I’m frustrated with how hard it is out west.

TROR

I think a lot of DL fans are underestimating the huge effect that the reception of Galaxys Edge in Anaheim is going to have on the future of the resort. Hollywood Studios is about to open to massive crowds. Don’t believe me, the reservations for Savis workshop opened up yesterday and in 1 day there are no reservations available until October. I’m going September 23rd with my wife and kids and virtually everything is booked up from the Cantina to Savis and Droid Depot. The comparison between the 2 openings is going to place DLR and it’s fanbase and it’s ability to pull big spending tourists in a very very bad light to Disney Execs. I see massive purse strings being tightened out west and major additions shelved. As well as maintenance deteriorating.
I’m sorry but a large part of the local fanbase either ***** and moan 24 hours a day about EVERYTHING, or they show up to the parks, looking and behaving like misfits/animals/white trash. I used to feel that DL had the higher class customers but man has that ever changed!!!
Either that, or they will finally say screw it to catering to and being fearful of the DL loyalists who want the park to be a museum and keep TDA from making the decisions to turn DLR into a true destination like Vegas or WDW or.........
Yes I’m looking at you puny castle that almost looks ridiculously little when walking down main street and is always the NUMBER 1 thing people who have visited other Disney destinations and then go to DL remember and talk about.
And no loyalists, they don’t go on and on about Pirates being 8 minutes longer and the cozy square in the back of New Orleans. FWIW, I love both of those aspects of DL. Just venting some frustration here over the **** poor reception of GE in Anaheim and ridiculous armchair imagineer “geniuses” who hate everything going on but are on Disney park fansites virtually 24 hours a day.

Ok there!!
I just want to see DLR do well and grow and have exciting expansions and I’m frustrated with how hard it is out west.
You're frustrated with how Disney has treated Disneyland and that's our fault for expressing the same frustration?

George Lucas on a Bench

I’m sorry but a large part of the local fanbase either ***** and moan 24 hours a day about EVERYTHING, or they show up to the parks, looking and behaving like misfits/animals/white trash. I used to feel that DL had the higher class customers but man has that ever changed!!!
And no loyalists, they don’t go on and on about Pirates being 8 minutes longer and the cozy square in the back of New Orleans. FWIW, I love both of those aspects of DL. Just venting some frustration here over the **** poor reception of GE in Anaheim and ridiculous armchair imagineer “geniuses” who hate everything going on but are on Disney park fansites virtually 24 hours a day.

Ok there!!

What.

mickEblu

Ok there!!

I could have stopped after your castle comment. You don’t know anything about Disneyland or about themed design. They just added Galaxies Edge inside DL and you think Disney is catering to loyalists?

mccgavin

That's uncalled for

Don’t believe me, the reservations for Savis workshop opened up yesterday and in 1 day there are no reservations available until October. I’m going September 23rd with my wife and kids and virtually everything is booked up from the Cantina to Savis and Droid Depot.

Savi's Workshop & Oga's Cantina have been consistently crowded in Aneheim regardless if the park is busy that day. They have also only been offering online reservations in advance for these experiences for two weeks now. Just from a bit of searching on the website it appears that many of these experiences are mostly booked through October.

It's a bit puzzling that you're asking for civil replies, and yet have no problem going out and name calling others. I would also encourage you to do a bit more research before you go out and make false claims like you are doing here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom