Tomorrowland Overhaul Speculation

mickEblu

I'm sorry but I rather them move on from the failed Rocket Rods idea. Build something new if its not going to be the Tron coaster.

TDA, Don't rehash an old already failed idea just because you don't like Tron being forced on you. Aww, who am I kidding, that is the very definition of cheap, something I know they'll do anyways.

@mickEblu I'm not sure why you're giddy about this rumor, I figured you'd be all over the fact that its a cheap and uninspiring. The Tron coaster is at least a thrill ride, something I know you want more of at DLR. This Rocket Rods rehash won't be a thrill ride.

Well I’m assuming their going to build brand new tracks for these, are you not?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I’m assuming their going to build brand new tracks for these, are you not?
Even so, its a retread of a failed attraction. So much deja vu to something that happened before, oh wait I know Luigi's.

Its the same exact thing as Luigi's Flying Tires. The first time around the Flying Saucers didn't quite work (sound familiar). But because of Lassiter's nostalgia for them he tried it again with newer technology but with a different theme (again sound familiar almost exactly like this rumor) and again it failed.

I'd rather have a clone of a successful attraction (Tron coaster) than another potential failed retread of the same failed attraction.

mickEblu

Even so, its a retread of a failed attraction. So much deja vu to something that happened before, oh wait I know Luigi's.

Its the same exact thing as Luigi's Flying Tires. The first time around the Flying Saucers didn't quite work (sound familiar). But because of Lassiter's nostalgia for them he tried it again with newer technology but with a different theme (again sound familiar almost exactly like this rumor) and again it failed.

I'd rather have a clone of a successful attraction (Tron coaster) than another potential failed retread of the same attraction.

The difference is the Rocket Rod tracks weren’t built for the Rocket Rods. They were built for the Peoplemover. So a thrill ride on elevated tracks that give you views of TL, provides great kinetic energy and looks cool at night sounds pretty good to me.

Oh ya, it’s not a clone that may or may have not looked super out of place and customized for DL.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The difference is the Rocket Rod tracks weren’t built for the Rocket Rods. They were built for the Peoplemover. So a thrill ride on elevated tracks that give you views of TL, provides great kinetic energy and looks cool at night sounds pretty good to me.

Oh ya, it’s not a clone that may or may have not looked super out of place and customized for DL.
So you'd rather risk (not that we have any say) another failed Rocket Rods retread that'll leave "new tracks" abandoned in TL for another 30+ years than get a successful coaster because it "may or may not" look out of place?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’m not seeing the huge risk being that it would be purpose built.

You're forgetting the X-Factor in this equation, Chapek.

I'm going to be the doom and gloomer for a second here. There is no reason to think he wouldn't cut this project to the bone, just like what was done to Rocket Rods. And so just like Rocket Rods it'll end up failing and then we'll be stuck with those tracks for the next 20-30 years.

So yes there is a HUGE risk.

At least with Tron coaster we know about what we're going to get, give or take some design changes.

mickEblu

You're forgetting the X-Factor in this equation, Chapek.

I'm going to be the doom and gloomer for a second here. There is no reason to think he wouldn't cut this project to the bone, just like what was done to Rocket Rods. And so just like Rocket Rods it'll end up failing and then we'll be stuck with those tracks for the next 20-30 years.

So yes there is a HUGE risk.

At least with Tron coaster we know about what we're going to get, give or take some design changes.

Dammit every time I get optimistic for a second you guys remind me about Chapek!

Ok I’m not going to be a gloomer for a second. I think they learn their lesson from cheaping out on SWL and have a little more respect for an opening day land.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Dammit every time I get optimistic for a second you guys remind me about Chapek!

Ok I’m not going to be a gloomer for a second. I think they learn their lesson from cheaping out on SWL and have a little more respect for an opening day land.
I'm sorry but I hope you and this rumor is wrong. I don't want to have a potential Luigi's debacle again. And for that reason I think this rumor is false. We know Rocket Rods was a failure, for many reasons. We would hope they learned that lesson from the first time Rocket Rods failed. No reason to risk that happening again and everyone calling them out for retreading old failed ideas. It was bad enough when it happened with Luigi's, the press would have a field day if it happened again.

mickEblu

I'm sorry but I hope you and this rumor is wrong. I don't want to have a potential Luigi's debacle again. And for that reason I think this rumor is false. We know Rocket Rods was a failure, for many reasons. We would hope they learned that lesson from the first time Rocket Rods failed. No reason to risk that happening again and everyone calling them out for retreading old failed ideas. It was bad enough when it happened with Luigi's, the press would have a field day if it happened again.

Well I guess we ll find out soon. To be clear I’d also be ok with a Tron “clone.” As long as it was designed to fit Disneyland’s scale. It just seems tough in between Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. Also it doesn’t sound like their would be as much of the outdoor portion /views of TL as their would be on the Troncket Rods

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think you are confused. It's the Tron coaster, just in a unique for Disneyland layout.

The elements it shares with Rocket Rods is some of its footprint, nothing more.
Not the way the poster put it. They specifically described it as high capacity Rocket Rods.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I guess we ll find out soon. To be clear I’d also be ok with a Tron “clone.” As long as it was designed to fit Disneyland’s scale. It just seems tough in between Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. Also it doesn’t sound like their would be as much of the outdoor portion /views of TL as their would be on the Troncket Rods
Don’t confuse our talk of reimagining of the coaster here in this thread for the rumored actual attraction. There hasn’t been anything that I’ve seen about the DLR Tron coaster rumor that says it’ll have less outdoor portions.

mickEblu

Don’t confuse our talk of reimagining of the coaster here in this thread for the rumored actual attraction. There hasn’t been anything that I’ve seen about the DLR Tron coaster rumor that says it’ll have less outdoor portions.

So then what separates it from just being the Troncket Rods then?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom