Tomorrowland new entrance

Ismael Flores

I had long known about the original idea to build a Star Wars coaster and remake half of Tomorrowland before the idea for Star Tours came along, but I had never SEEN the artwork ...before now!

View attachment 430044

Lots of artwork and even model shots here: https://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2019/12/discover-lucasport-other-star-wars-land.html

Makes you hope for a similar sort of bold move when it comes to Tomorrowland's future, huh?

It would be great to see them revisit this and see how space was designed to be used for different purposes. I hate how lately they do not think about that and they use huge sections of land for large show buildings and then retail next to it. with the shortage of land in Anaheim they need to think about layering things and this seem to do just that.

Rethink the large coaster and maybe minimize the space by not having the multi track experiences. Create a coaster that has highly detail show scenes and thrills and then layer smaller attractions within the concept.

The removal of Alien encounter in my opinion was a huge mistake. It was an attraction that is badly needed now for those thrill seekers that the parks need and want. A version of that should probably have been included in the Marvel expansion of DCA and i think would be much better received in Anaheim than Orlando.

D

Deleted member 107043

While I appreciate the name LucasPort, the giant ice crystal look is incredibly stupid.

I agree. The architecture and looping monorail seems to borrow heavily from Vancouver's Expo 86 and WDW's Future World, which isn't bad, but hardly groundbreaking.

At this point the only TL solution that would interest me would be a full blown leveling and reboot from scratch. Even then I doubt WDI has the talent or ability to create a fresh TL that's as compelling as the rest of the park. Not sure why but Disney can never seem to move past theatrical set dressing with TL.

mickEblu

I agree. The architecture and looping monorail seems to borrow heavily from Vancouver's Expo 86 and WDW's Future World, which isn't bad, but hardly groundbreaking.

At this point the only TL solution that would interest me would be a full blown leveling and reboot from scratch. Even then I doubt WDI has the talent or ability to create a fresh TL that's as compelling as the rest of the park. Not sure why but Disney can never seem to move past theatrical set dressing with TL.

That’s why I say give me Retro TL with some modern bells/ whistles and cutting edge attractions. I’d love it if the future looked and felt like TL 67.

mickEblu

If that new entrance design is any indication of how they would recreate the 1967 aesthetic, be careful what you wish for.

Haha. Well to be fair they have the first few feet of a new entrance mixed with the old Gold tomorrow Land color scheme. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to release that concept art but I’ll reserve judgment until I see concept art for the whole land and not just part of a new entrance with old concept art and the Astro Orbitor in the background.

RobWDW1971

Haha. Well to be fair they have the first few feet of a new entrance mixed with the old Gold tomorrow Land color scheme. Not sure why they thought it was a good idea to release that concept art but I’ll reserve judgment until I see concept art for the whole land and not just part of a new entrance with old concept art and the Astro Orbitor in the background.

Agreed - but what does that tell you that multiple levels of WDI A) Thought it looked good and B) Approved its release? Doesn’t fill me with confidence they have an Inspiring strategic vision for the land.

TP2000

True, I am getting a Vancouver 1986 World's Fair vibe from that artwork. All its missing is the giant Swatch watch at the Switzerland pavilion! (My gosh, Expo 86 was really fun and oozing with 1980's zip. I'm so glad I went!)

6expo86_swatch_mono.jpg

But what I find most interesting about this incredible artwork that I don't think any of us have ever seen before (and thanks @britain for offering that up!), is the use of space in what is quite clearly Disneyland's Tomorrowland hemmed in by Harbor Blvd.

Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2019-11-23%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B18.48.29.jpg

This is really an incredible use of space from a 1980's era where WDI wasn't afraid to rethink Disneyland's boundaries and back of house usage. The nice thing is that we've escaped the opposite era of the 1990's and 2000's when Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss guided an organization that thought very small and very cheap and would never allow such grand thinking.

With both Star Wars Land massively reconfiguring the northwest quadrant of the park, plus Runaway Railway unafraid to push the boundary north and evict long-standing back of house support buildings and facilities, Disneyland has entered an era where big thinking like that Tomorrowland image above is possible again.

There's acreage available to the east of Tomorrowland! Use it.

mickEblu

Agreed - but what does that tell you that multiple levels of WDI A) Thought it looked good and B) Approved it’s release? Doesn’t fill me with confidence they have a Inspiring strategic vision for the land.

Its quite confusing. I get that it may be too early to announce the new TL but what was there to gain from showing that concept art? Seems to me that parks blog is a lot more knee jerk reactionary these days.

britain

True, I am getting a Vancouver 1986 World's Fair vibe from that artwork. All its missing is the giant Swatch watch at the Switzerland pavilion! (My gosh, Expo 86 was really fun and oozing with 1980's zip. I'm so glad I went!)

6expo86_swatch_mono.jpg

But what I find most interesting about this incredible artwork that I don't think any of us have ever seen before (and thanks @britain for offering that up!), is the use of space in what is quite clearly Disneyland's Tomorrowland hemmed in by Harbor Blvd.

Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2019-11-23%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B18.48.29.jpg

This is really an incredible use of space from a 1980's era where WDI wasn't afraid to rethink Disneyland's boundaries and back of house usage. The nice thing is that we've escaped the opposite era of the 1990's and 2000's when Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss guided an organization that thought very small and very cheap and would never allow such grand thinking.

With both Star Wars Land massively reconfiguring the northwest quadrant of the park, plus Runaway Railway unafraid to push the boundary north and evict long-standing back of house support buildings and facilities, Disneyland has entered an era where big thinking like that Tomorrowland image above is possible again.

There's acreage available to the east of Tomorrowland! Use it.

Thanks to Alain for posting them on his site!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom