Tomorrowland new entrance

Mac Tonight

That was always my master plan for Tomorrowland. Give me a smaller version of Future World but updated to today's technology and topics. Horizons 2.0 is the centerpiece for a new Tomorrowland. Give me a new Space pavilion integrated with Space Mountain. Give me Seabase Delta in the lagoon of an active volcano that Tomorrowland uses to provide energy for the land. Underwater cycle coaster pass live fish. The subs as transportation (preshow) for Seabase Delta. Tron dark ride. Outdoor theater. Space restaurant. If they have to add Marvel at least make Horizons 2.0 a Stark Expo pavilion.
source.gif

Professortango1

I just don't understand the opposition for having a Tron ride in Tomorrowland. Tron is a home grown IP and is futurist enough to fit into Tomorrowland. I would love to see a version of Tron as a dark ride similar to Adventure though inner space. Imagine the queue being an arcade with classic games that you can play along the line. (I'd probably never get to the actual ride) You find a hidden passageway where a laser sucks you into the game world via Omnimover/lightcycle.

Nothing says the world of the future like an 1980's arcade. Maybe we can have a ride where we are sucked inside an iPod Shuffle.

Professortango1

Tron has the bike too that seems to be the new thing with roller coasters that even Universal did in Hagrid’s. This was never in Disneyland at all. Nothing wrong with Disneyland getting new technology rides just because other places might have them. Sorry, Tron is different enough from Space Mountain that no one will think they are the same. I still haven’t seen anyone duplicate Space Mountain successfully although they tried and failed.

Tron and Space are very similar type attractions. Nobody is going to mistake them for one another. But one fast-paced coaster through a black void being right next to another fast-paced coaster through a black void is kind of Disney admitting they've stopped caring.

el_super

I do not understand this logic.

Building TRON at Disneyland would mean removing a big chunk of rides with no height requirement, and replacing them with a ride that has a 48" requirement (which would be the most restrictive in Disneyland Park). The cycle style will automatically exclude people who are not physically able to mount and straddle the car. The indoor/outdoor/indoor lighting changes can be hard on the eyes in the daytime, and make seeing the "show" scenes impossible during the majority of operating hours. Not that you can really see the show scenes at night either, since you are naturally hunched over and facing down. Thankfully, if being hunched over is uncomfortable, it's all over in about 60 seconds.

It's not just that its a redundant experience to Space Mountain, it's also more restrictive and just not worth the real estate.

TrainsOfDisney

While I would personally love to see a return of the people mover.... IF they could do a tron style bike on the old people mover track (yes I’ve heard of rocket rods.... you’d have to put money in it and make it right) and have a super short indoor section /loading area ar the old people mover.... that could be pretty cool.

Ripping out subs, autopia, etc. for a clone of Shanghai? Please no.

DanielBB8

Tron and Space are very similar type attractions. Nobody is going to mistake them for one another. But one fast-paced coaster through a black void being right next to another fast-paced coaster through a black void is kind of Disney admitting they've stopped caring.
This is a weak argument. Nothing is similar about the attractions. Not the cars, not even the black void. Tron has an outdoor portion like Rocket Rods. This ride got rave reviews. Having the rides close together shows how different they actually are.

TROR

This is a weak argument. Nothing is similar about the attractions. Not the cars, not even the black void. Tron has an outdoor portion like Rocket Rods. This ride got rave reviews. Having the rides close together shows how different they actually are.
How do you get away with this?

Sharon&Susan

This whole discussion reminds me of how a new Peoplemover got axed in Shanghai.

Not to allocate the money to plus any of the existing rides or add any new ones, but instead allocated to fund showcase centers for Iger's buyout franchises: Marvel and Star Wars.

:(

EDIT: After looking around for a while, I must be misremembering or combining rumors in my head as other than one early piece concept art in Maps of The Disney Parks, I can not find anything else on a Peoplemover in Shanghai. Thanks @lazyboy97o for pointing this out!

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

It's still weird to have two sci-fi themed roller coaster E Tickets right next to each other, especially when one is hi-tech and modern and the other is an old pile of junk with no effects, fun as it is, as well as an increasingly shrinking go-kart ride. I mean WDW, by the way. I never chimed in on that, but there it is.

I'm a huge supporter of integrating TRON as a Rocket Rods type thing at Disneyland.

DanielBB8

It's still weird to have two sci-fi themed roller coaster E Tickets right next to each other, especially when one is hi-tech and modern and the other is an old pile of junk with no effects, fun as it is, as well as an increasingly shrinking go-kart ride. I mean WDW, by the way. I never chimed in on that, but there it is.

I'm a huge supporter of integrating TRON as a Rocket Rods type thing at Disneyland.
What are you referring to as a “old pile of junk”? Would that be Space Mountain? Definitely because it’s much older than Tron. WDW’s Magic Kingdom has chimed in on it. They’re getting Tron.

How do you get away with this?
I’m not sure I’m getting away with anything here.

lazyboy97o

This whole discussion reminds me of how a new Peoplemover got axed in Shanghai.

Not to allocate the money to plus any of the existing rides or add any new ones, but instead allocated to fund showcase centers for Iger's buyout franchises: Marvel and Star Wars.

:(
This isn't true. There was never a PeopleMove approved for Shanghai Disneyland. If one was ever pitched it was nixed before the attraction roster was largely approved in the summer of 2010.

D

Deleted member 107043

Building TRON at Disneyland would mean removing a big chunk of rides with no height requirement, and replacing them with a ride that has a 48" requirement (which would be the most restrictive in Disneyland Park).

The vast majority of attractions at DLR don't have height requirements, so having a few that do isn't an issue to me.

The cycle style will automatically exclude people who are not physically able to mount and straddle the car.

In Shanghai there’s a train with a Light Runner vehicle in the caboose for those who can't straddle a bike.

The indoor/outdoor/indoor lighting changes can be hard on the eyes in the daytime, and make seeing the "show" scenes impossible during the majority of operating hours. Not that you can really see the show scenes at night either, since you are naturally hunched over and facing down.

What show scenes? I mean, yes there's some scenery, but we're not talking Spaceship Earth here.

Thankfully, if being hunched over is uncomfortable, it's all over in about 60 seconds.

According to Wikipedia the Shanghai ride is 2 minutes.

Disney Analyst

The vast majority of attractions at DLR don't have height requirements, so having a few that do isn't an issue to me.

In Shanghai there’s a train with a Light Runner vehicle in the caboose for those who can't straddle a bike.

What show scenes? I mean, yes there's some scenery, but we're not talking Spaceship Earth here.

According to Wikipedia the Shanghai ride is 2 minutes.

This video shows the ride lasting from 1:43 in the video to 3:36. So a little under 2 minutes. This includes rolling from load to launch and from coaster ending to unload.

Honestly not a terrible run time for a launching coaster. Add in the fact it's highly themed and I don't see the issue. Nice to have a decent thrill ride at MK.

Professortango1

Coasters. In dark warehouses. Uses a few lit elements in the dark. A few projections.

And yes, Trons outdoor portion not only ruins the look and feel of the land around it, but also destroys the story experience of the actual ride. Yay...

Ismael Flores

Anyone notice in the latest Disney+. “The imagineering story”. Imagineer Joe Rohde playing around with a mock-up of a large roller coaster with a launch that went straight up? Is that from an existing coaster?

also

next shot he is looking at a large mock up of tomorrowland and he decides to pull up and remove the Launch Bay building off the mock up and then looks at the mock-up without it.
mThat part excited me and gave me hope that it will hopefully soon be demolished. also the peoplemover tracks are non existent in that mockup but the monorail tracks are.

the footage looked recent because there is a head on one of the cabinets used to make the AA for smugglers run

mickEblu

Anyone notice in the latest Disney+. “The imagineering story”. Imagineer Joe Rohde playing around with a mock-up of a large roller coaster with a launch that went straight up? Is that from an existing coaster?

also

next shot he is looking at a large mock up of tomorrowland and he decides to pull up and remove the Launch Bay building off the mock up and then looks at the mock-up without it.
mThat part excited me and gave me hope that it will hopefully soon be demolished. also the peoplemover tracks are non existent in that mockup but the monorail tracks are.

the footage looked recent because there is a head on one of the cabinets used to make the AA for smugglers run

Hmmm maybe a reworking of Space Mountain?

Good eye in regards to the TL model. I think him playing with it is very deliberate and done for nerds like us to confirm a TL redo is happening.

TROR

also

Would someone like to post screenshots?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom