Tomorrowland new entrance

SteamboatJoe

No but I’ve experienced WDW Tomorrowland and the land kinda feels dead walking into it. The Astro orbiters where Disneyland’s was and the people movers moving but when u first walk in it’s just feels like it’s lacking something.
That's because it's absent of any street level activity on either side. Some restaurants and/or shops should have been put along that corridor to give it life.

EDIT: It also seriously lacks meaningful landscaping to soften it's look and give it a feeling of freshness. Too cold and sterile.

Last edited:

jmuboy

Its so crazy to me that in just 20 years nearly everything from the NEW 98 Tomorrowland is gone. It has to be one of the most EPIC fails in WDI/DP&R history. It and DCA 1.0 just a few short years later.

As for the Orbitor....I love it and would be happy to see it moved back on top the platform in the back of TL to act as the kinetic wienie for the land. That said - I visited DL for the first time in 1997 as a young college kid. I have never known the wide open TL entrance. Will be weird to see it open if / when this last vestige of TL98 goes away. In the meantime DL has enough fake rock and I will be happy to see a more opened up TL entrance that is "Rock Free" in a few weeks. I do wonder if a TL marquee will return.....possibly hung from the People Mover tracks like back during the Star Wars events in the last few years.

Disneylover152

Its so crazy to me that in just 20 years nearly everything from the NEW 98 Tomorrowland is gone. It has to be one of the most EPIC fails in WDI/DP&R history. It and DCA 1.0 just a few short years later.

I think it has to do with the fact that while the land overall sucks theme wise, at least the individual rides are fun & enjoyable. People like them.

You can’t say the same about DCA 1.0. You hear lots of people have Space Mountain & Star Tours (Buzz to an extent) in their favorite ride list. Nobody ever had Superstar Limo or the Mulholland Madness in their favorite ride list.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I think it has to do with the fact that while the land overall sucks theme wise, at least the individual rides are fun & enjoyable. People like them.

You can’t say the same about DCA 1.0. You hear lots of people have Space Mountain & Star Tours (Buzz to an extent) in their favorite ride list. Nobody ever had Superstar Limo or the Mulholland Madness in their favorite ride list.
@George Lucas on a Bench loves Superstar Limo even though he wasn't old enough to ride it.

shambolicdefending

To me, those entry rocks and the decaying PeopleMover tracks have stood for two decades as a silent monument to bad executive decisions.

They are some of the final vestiges of the Pressler/Harriss era that I consider the worst 1-2 punch of Disneyland leaders in my lifetime, and likely of all time.

I am very happy to see the rocks go. I'll have more mixed feelings when the PeopleMover tracks finally come down.

SuddenStorm

Those two attractions predate Tomorrowland'98 and shouldn't be used as a barometer for the land's quality. Rocket Rods and Astro Orbitor are far better examples.

D

Deleted member 107043

To be fair the Ominbus or Pinocchio's Daring Journey aren't likely on anyone's favorite ride list either.

Don't Soarin' and California Screamin' Incredicoaster routinely rank as two of the most popular attractions at DLR?

DrAlice

I'd like to see the sleek look of the Rocket Jets return. Really shouldn't be too hard to design an eye pleasing, simple spinner. Use the orb shape that currently exists, paint it silver, put a radio tower/satellite on top (?), and place it above Tomorrowland. I never got to experience the Rocket Jets above the People Mover platform but I imagine it was one of those experiences that 'elevated' the attraction while looking sharp.
View attachment 399552View attachment 399554

Maybe I'm delusional, but I really don't think this 1980's Tomorrowland is all the outdated. The aesthetic still feels very much like something out of the future and science fiction that could exist today.

View attachment 399555
1566198182007-png.399556

I really adore this People Mover color scheme, too. It's so fresh. And the palm trees in the land are brilliant! If they're keeping the lagoon, I want more palm trees. That tropical paradise feeling of Tomorrowland is definitely part of its identity.

Awww.... This is MY Tomorrowland. The speedramps..... the PeopleMover... the neon space Mickey. *sigh* Those were the days. AND, we got to go into the crazy room where we could pay to call Grandma and ALL TALK TO HER AT THE SAME TIME (translation for the kiddies: there was a speakerphone pay phone in a soundproof room. No one had speakerphones at the time)! Just Magical.

My only regret was being too chicken to ride the AstroJets. If they moved that thing back up there, I'd face my fear of heights in a heartbeat to check that off the bucket list.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom