News Tomorrowland love

Captain Neo

Well, it’s still open so it must be deemed to be safe.

Doesn’t mean much. Space mountain at disneyland was allowed to run even though several managers warned the existing infrastructure was way past its due date. It took a near accident during a maintenance test one morning where I recall a train went off the rails for them to permanently close it and do a rebuild.

lazyboy97o

Doesn’t mean much. Space mountain at disneyland was allowed to run even though several managers warned the existing infrastructure was way past its due date. It took a near accident during a maintenance test one morning where I recall a train went off the rails for them to permanently close it and do a rebuild.
There was no derailment. The track cracked a few months before its planned closure.

duder

I'm probably in the minority, but I find the Orlando Space Mountain the funnest to ride. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to the roughness experienced by others, but the jankiness of the ride is what makes it fun for me. The hard turns, the hitchy drops, I just enjoy it.

It would be great to have music on board, but I find the track layout and the cars themselves more enjoyable than in Anaheim or Tokyo (I dont count Paris as SM). I also have a soft spot for the que, music, and lift hill in Orlando.

They should have never closed off the ceiling in the boarding area, and it definitely needs some updated projections and some TLC, but I would be pretty disappointed if it became more like Tokyo and Anaheim (both I still really like).

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
SM has needed a new track for well over 10 years. Personally, my preference is to rebuild it with the same layout. It's unique to Orlando and is quite fun. Add a few bells and whistles, but leave the layout the same.
Yes x 100. While the DL version of SM is really smooth, I find the layout generally boring. Straightaway, sharp turn, straightaway, sharp turn, etc. The MK version, if you don't know it, keeps you guessing. In complete darkness, as it was when I rode during MNSSHP, it's brilliant. With 100's of rides under my belt, even I was unsure of where I was at times, and a few of the drops actually surprised me. It's imperative that any rebuild of the MK SM, removes the trim brakes, and keeps it's original layout!

ToTBellHop

I'm probably in the minority, but I find the Orlando Space Mountain the funnest to ride. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to the roughness experienced by others, but the jankiness of the ride is what makes it fun for me. The hard turns, the hitchy drops, I just enjoy it.

It would be great to have music on board, but I find the track layout and the cars themselves more enjoyable than in Anaheim or Tokyo (I dont count Paris as SM). I also have a soft spot for the que, music, and lift hill in Orlando.

They should have never closed off the ceiling in the boarding area, and it definitely needs some updated projections and some TLC, but I would be pretty disappointed if it became more like Tokyo and Anaheim (both I still really like).
I think the actual track has the best layout of the SMs. With a new track of the same layout, onboard audio, and better sealing to block out sunlight, we’d have the best SM. Considering the track MUST be replaced soon, there would be little further expense to give us an awesome ride.

The Pho

Yes x 100. While the DL version of SM is really smooth, I find the layout generally boring. Straightaway, sharp turn, straightaway, sharp turn, etc. The MK version, if you don't know it, keeps you guessing. In complete darkness, as it was when I rode during MNSSHP, it's brilliant. With 100's of rides under my belt, even I was unsure of where I was at times, and a few of the drops actually surprised me. It's imperative that any rebuild of the MK SM, removes the trim brakes, and keeps it's original layout!
Surprise elements are a very rare feature for a coaster. That’s part of why it has remained a favorite of mine even after riding hundreds of other coasters.

Kman101

If we're comparing it to other Disney roller coasters, I found Matterhorn to be much, much rougher than WDW's Space Mountain during my trip to Disneyland in 2015.

I think they're on par with each other, personally. I don't agree Matterhorn is all that much smoother. Slightly better? Sure. (Given the context, I feel like it's being implied to be better to more highlight how much worse SM is ... which I guess is ultimately true)

ELG13

I definitively think space mountain could use a Polish....not much, but maybe a little clean up, the space station at the entrance could use a refresh, but not too much because the cheesy decor is kind of what makes it awesome!!!!

Expo_Seeker40

One thing I want to know so bad is what happened to the displays in the Star Tunnel windows? Not to be confused with the displays in the zig zag corridor which are still there on the FastPass side, the start tunnel also had displays in it from 1975-1985 and I only know of one photo that exists of it.

I seriously hope space mountain gets a full makeover/rejuvenation while restoring the music and some of the few remaining original elements.

Attachments

• smstrcdr.JPG
    smstrcdr.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 133

matt9112

I think the actual track has the best layout of the SMs. With a new track of the same layout, onboard audio, and better sealing to block out sunlight, we’d have the best SM. Considering the track MUST be replaced soon, there would be little further expense to give us an awesome ride.

Could replace track keep the layout the same (maybe modify unload and load for capacity possibly) and add two seats per row cars. Im imagining the mountain has enough room to accommodate a slightly wider track if need be to handle the extra mass etc. Also would require minor modifications to make it work with the extra mass but i assume this could all be done by a good firm to retain same layout in laymans terms but likely some different angles and such. Again this only makes sense if full replacement has to occur you could increase capacity alot if you went this route.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom