Tomorrowland DLR in my mind

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
Best guess:

With SWGE pulling crowds away from an overworked tomorrow land, imagineers are hard at work planning Tomorrowland 4.0 at DLR.

Once avengers campus is completed crowds should ideally abandon Tomorrowland altogether.

I would imagine Tomorrowland, almost entirely to close once avengers opens. Probably following the subsequent holiday season just to accommodate crowds.

Star Tours:
Will be re skinned - re themed into another space themed attraction - as a budget overlay like guardians, Wall-E seems most likely to me. It makes little sense to keep a Star Wars attraction outside the realm of the new land. I wouldn’t entirely close the door on a non ip based simulator ride like Epcot’s mission space either.

Space Mountain:
Zero changes - will likely remain open during land refurb via overflow walkway access behind the plaza inn.

Autopia:
Scrapped - we can drive go carts at any boomers or mini golf in so cal.

Submarines:
Hiatus but returns mostly unchanged. Difficult spiral staircases reworked to allow linear boarding. Entering from the front and exiting from the back would eliminate the excessive boarding process requiring all passengers disembark before new guest can even start boarding. Combined with the new 3 sub load / unload station should solve the capacity issues plaguing this attraction.

Astro blasters:
Vehicle repairs / replaced. Overall attraction is in disrepair. It could be eliminated entirely. They have not fixed anything since the 50th anniversary.

Innoventions show building:
Will become the queue / station and multiple pre show rooms housing for a new attraction based on the new Pixar film onward- while no details of the film are known - title and trailer may suggest that in some way the film could be futuristic as evolution and growth seem to prevail in the trailer “times change”. Indoor story telling can take place on multiple levels of the enormous structure. Outdoor thrilling sections can utilize the huge footprint from autopia. I would imagine an Intamin or Mack rides multi launch coaster, both companies have a solid reputation with WDI.

People mover tracks:
I truly believe they have not removed these tracks for a reason, besides being cheap. These tracks - in some form will be used for something. I’d like to see an attraction based on past future present - travel through the worlds of space in the wall e and space mountain attractions - travel though the now in the Forrest and sub lagoon - travel through the worlds of imagining the impossible with buzz Lightyear and fantasyland views. I really think it could be epic if the ride vehicles were extraordinary like encapsulated in semi transparent parabolic dome where a projector could paint a world for the rider mixing reality around them and imagination layered in.

Tomorrowland Terrace stage will be completely removed to Re-home the Astro orbiter - finally allowing free flowing traffic in and out of the land.

The motion theater under space mtn queue can be opened up to provide live entertainment and stage shows to a semi open air audience by removing the facade facing the plaza. Movie previews can be done at the opera house. There’s no reason that auditorium should be used for previews and not be an attraction itself.

These are all just my imagination!

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
I’m curious as to why you assume people would just stop visiting Tomorrowland after the opening of Avengers?

Autopia is nothing like Go Karts at Boomers.

I assume tomorrow land would be deserted based on a few things -

1. New anything pulls crowds - when cars land opened in 2012, DCA was a walk on practically for every other attraction including etickets for nearly two years. It was heaven to be in any part of that park except Route 66.

2. Avengers / Star Wars franchises cater to (I don’t mean to over generalize here) approximately the same crowd. Even on packed days recently star tours has had ~20-30 minute wait times and the indoor queue is hardly utilized. Buzz Lightyear pulls a bigger crowd at times.

Launch bay - no need anymore - ghost town already.

Path of the Jedi - again. Ghost town.

I know autopia is a beloved “Walt built this attraction” and still draws crowds. But I like to think that if he visited the park today and saw fantasmic overlaying his river serenity. Or the changes to the railroad path. Or jack skellington taking over the mansion. He’d probably be okay with removing a ride where you literally just press a pedal for 4 minutes to make way for something exciting. It is Tomorrowland after all. Gas powered single person vehicles aren’t really that futuristic. They abolished smoking areas within the park for guest comfort when the 96 lawnmower engines running around the clock are equally foul.

The subs could stay open with access from Matterhorn and space mtn could stay open with access behind the corn dog cart. But frankly everything else in that land is already kind of deserted.

Just my thoughts - again it’s all speculation.

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
Your Tomorrowland overhaul consists of not overhauling Tomorrowland.
I thought I had a few good ideas 😉 but you’re right. I should dream bigger. I tried to keep it in a reasonable budget mentally -but knowing Burbank lol. We’re entering post euro Disney era fiscal shortfalls

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
Your Tomorrowland overhaul consists of not overhauling Tomorrowland.
Fixing buzz. Resurrecting the ppl mover tracks. Star tours into wall-e. Moving the orbiter to the terrace stage and the stage into the theater and making it open air. Utilizing the huge show building that’s basically empty for a multi launch rollercoaster. Fixing capacity issues on subs. Closing the eco travesty autopia to make way for something actually exciting.

Why do you think that’s not an overhaul?

Phroobar

I assume tomorrow land would be deserted based on a few things -

1. New anything pulls crowds - when cars land opened in 2012, DCA was a walk on practically for every other attraction including etickets for nearly two years. It was heaven to be in any part of that park except Route 66.

2. Avengers / Star Wars franchises cater to (I don’t mean to over generalize here) approximately the same crowd. Even on packed days recently star tours has had ~20-30 minute wait times and the indoor queue is hardly utilized. Buzz Lightyear pulls a bigger crowd at times.
I really don't think people will abandon Tomorrowland for new things. It didn't happen this year even with 16 acres of GE. Galaxy's Edge was a bust. Disneyland had its slowest summer since 9/11. The Avengers area follows the same pattern as GE with a subpar D-ticket, a bar and two expensive shops. There is an e-ticket planned but it won't open with the rest of the land just like Galaxys Edge's e-ticket.

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
I really don't think people will abandon Tomorrowland for new things. It didn't happen this year even with 16 acres of GE. Galaxy's Edge was a bust. Disneyland had its slowest summer since 9/11. The Avengers area follows the same pattern as GE with a subpar D-ticket, a bar and two expensive shops. There is an e-ticket planned but it won't open with the rest of the land just like Galaxys Edge's e-ticket.

Well they didn’t leave Tomorrowland for GE because GE is literally terrible. It a nature preserve, I joke that they should cancel it all and just turn it into agrabah. Also I think avengers are much more relevant and will draw a much larger crowd because the characters, stories, films aren’t completely exhausted from 40 years of merchandising and letting the fan base age off.

I mean I get that you don’t like my thoughts on the future of a land stuck in 1900’s when automobiles and submarines were new and exciting. I was just trying to share some fun thoughts - so what is your vision for the future of the land?

Phroobar

My idea is to build Seabase Delta and volcano in the submarine lagoon. The submarines would act as preshow transportation to Seabase Delta which resides in the lagoon of an active volcano. Inside Seabase Delta would be a underwater rollercoaster in tubes pass live fish. Another ride would be a modern version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. People would take the subs back out of Seabase Delta. Delta for Disneyland.

The Innoventions building would be demoed for a new version of Horizons 2.0. There would be a time travel omni mover ride too where Pizza Planet is now that incorporates the dinosaurs and the train. Space Mountain would receive a new preshow in the old Starcade where our space station is be evacuated because of a meteorite storm. Special effects in the preshow would be similar to WDS Armageddon show.

The Star Tours building would be demoed for a new ride based on micro biology. It wouldn't be a simulator ride but more of a dark ride using the robot arms as we jet pack through the human body. Think Body Wars meets Harry Potter but outside of the sub. The other side where Buzz is would be rethemed to a Tron Deadly Discs shooter.

The Tomorrowland Terrace would be enclosed and rethemed to a space restaurant similar to what Epcot is getting complete with AA alien band show. The 3D theater area would be used for a two level rocket spinner. Imagine not only going up and down in a circle but in and out too on two levels. The old People mover track would be completely removed but the monorail would stay with a slightly altered track.

All the buildings would be in futuristic whites and blue with fountains at the entrance.

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
My idea is to build Seabase Delta and volcano in the submarine lagoon. The submarines would act as preshow transportation to Seabase Delta which resides in the lagoon of an active volcano. Inside Seabase Delta would be a underwater rollercoaster in tubes pass live fish. Another ride would be a modern version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. People would take the subs back out of Seabase Delta. Delta for Disneyland.

The Innoventions building would be demoed for a new version of Horizons 2.0. There would be a time travel omni mover ride too where Pizza Planet is now that incorporates the dinosaurs and the train. Space Mountain would receive a new preshow in the old Starcade where our space station is be evacuated because of a meteorite storm. Special effects in the preshow would be similar to WDS Armageddon show.

The Star Tours building would be demoed for a new ride based on micro biology. It wouldn't be a simulator ride but more of a dark ride using the robot arms as we jet pack through the human body. Think Body Wars meets Harry Potter but outside of the sub. The other side where Buzz is would be rethemed to a Tron Deadly Discs shooter.

The Tomorrowland Terrace would be enclosed and rethemed to a space restaurant similar to what Epcot is getting complete with AA alien band show. The 3D theater area would be used for a two level rocket spinner. Imagine not only going up and down in a circle but in and out too on two levels. The old People mover track would be completely removed but the monorail would stay with a slightly altered track.

All the buildings would be in futuristic whites and blue with fountains at the entrance.
That’s sounds really awesome man! I love it. I was only trying to spark thought into the future of the land. I love you’re ideas.

Phroobar

That’s sounds really awesome man! I love it. I was only trying to spark thought into the future of the land. I love you’re ideas.
Thanks. I want basically a Future World 2.0. I want to see Tomorrowland brought back to a science and future tech roots. I would also love to see a ride based on genetic engineering as a basis for a Tomorrowland haunted house. Let's not reuse what is there. Dream big.

Andrewarthur89

Original Poster
Thanks. I want basically a Future World 2.0. I want to see Tomorrowland brought back to a science and future tech roots. I would also love to see a ride based on genetic engineering as a basis for a Tomorrowland haunted house. Let's not reuse what is there. Dream big.
Agreed I was thinking with a Burbank budget mindset especially with all the shortfalls and over expenditures

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Is it realistic that TDA could demo / rebuild the people mover tracks and bring back some sort of transport ride throughout the land? All costs considered..

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
They re routed a river and 60 year old train! Why not!?!

For Star Wars Land. Something TDA thought would give them a really healthy return with a strong IP placement (which we now know it didn't, and under performed).

Since the Peoplemover track weaves in and out of random TL buildings, including Space Mountain, it would mean a lot of downtime for pretty much every structure in TL for some heavy duty work. I'm with you, i'd really like to see a new people mover. I just don't see it unless Tomorrowland is converted to Pixar's Future Land or Future Arendelle. If anything I see them revamping Tomorrowland the same way they revamped Pixar Pier. We already have a taste of it now with HyPeRsPaCe MoUnTaIn and Star Wars Innoventions.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

With SWGE pulling crowds away from an overworked tomorrow land, i
WHAT????? There are more people in Tomorrowland still than STAR WARS TOWN. Star Wars Town could not bring guests into DISNEYLAND itself over the summer, it certainly is not pulling guests away from other lands making those lands empty. Don't know where you got that idea from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom