Tom Staggs visits Epcot

Brian Noble

He's not just "at" Cedar Fair, either---he's the CEO. He's only been on the clock for a few months, but so far he is saying (and, to the extent we can see, doing) all the right things. The guy he is replacing was great for the company for a long time, but had really hit his ceiling and made some pretty serious mistakes along the way. As Cedar Point is my "home park", I'm really excited to see how things change over the coming years.

lebeau

He's not just "at" Cedar Fair, either---he's the CEO. He's only been on the clock for a few months, but so far he is saying (and, to the extent we can see, doing) all the right things. The guy he is replacing was great for the company for a long time, but had really hit his ceiling and made some pretty serious mistakes along the way. As Cedar Point is my "home park", I'm really excited to see how things change over the coming years.

Yep. Kings Island is our home park. The changes are very small so far. But if you are paying attention, it's exciting. Little things like improving park food. Ouimet has talked about courting families back to the parks and you can definitely see steps in that direction.

I hope he has a long run at CF. I like what I am seeing so far.

Gregoryp73

Yep. Kings Island is our home park. The changes are very small so far. But if you are paying attention, it's exciting. Little things like improving park food. Ouimet has talked about courting families back to the parks and you can definitely see steps in that direction.

I hope he has a long run at CF. I like what I am seeing so far.

He's not responsible for "dinosaurs alive!" is he??

lebeau

He's not responsible for "dinosaurs alive!" is he??

Nope. That was just before he came on board.

I haven't been to Dinos Alive, so I can't comment one way or another. I have no objection to it and it seems like it has been successful. They are cloning it at other CF parks. I suppose Oimet could be credited/blamed for the decision to clone it.

disnyfan89

Original Poster
LOL, hilarious!
Are Disney CM's restricted from mentioning any of their competitors? I ask because I'm reminded of a line a TM in the Horror Makeup Show at Universal uses while scolding a child who supposedly threw a rock onto the stage. He says, "This isn't Disney World, I don't have to be nice to you!" Universal TM's can't speak negative of the competition but they're not restricted from mentioning them, especially if someone asks them. Just wondering if Disney has any restrictions.
Disney CM are more than welcome to freely talk about Universal. Their are no restrictions and in fact you'll find a wide variety of responses.

Also, I have no doubt in my mind that Tom has already been to HP world. It would be unlikely that he hasn't considering how many other theme park executives from around the world have already been.

RSoxNo1

Could someone tell the guy that EPCOT has not gotten a new major attraction since Mission Space? Ya know, around a eight years or so?

Soarin' in 2006 was new (just not original)
Spaceship Earth, The Seas With Nemo and Friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Gran Fiesta Tour have all been refurbished, modified or added since then as well.

I view it as a much larger problem that Animal Kingdom hasn't received anything since Everest/Nemo in 2006/2007. That park is in a much greater need of expansion.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Spaceship Earth, The Seas With Nemo and Friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Gran Fiesta Tour have all been refurbished, modified or added since then as well.

I view it as a much larger problem that Animal Kingdom hasn't received anything since Everest/Nemo in 2006/2007. That park is in a much greater need of expansion.

Soarin opened in May 2005. I remember because it was in soft open towards the end of my college program.

As far as I know we are not restricted. When I'm feeling snarky, I'll say "we know you have a choice in theme parks and we appreciate your choosing timeless classics over pop culture" when people are getting off the ferry boats.

wickedfan07

Soarin; - 2005
The Seas with Nemo and Friends/Turtle Talk with Crush - 2006
El Rio del Tiempo / Gran Fiesta Tour - 2007
O Canada - 2007
Spaceship Earth refurbishment - 2007

Nothing has been significantly altered at Eo\pcot since Spacehip Earth reopened from its "refurbishment" in time for the holidays in 2007. Furthermore, none of the projects since Soarin' were anything more than changing an existing facility to a new version of an existing attraction (except maybe Turtle Talk, arguably). There have been a few general refurbishments
in this period of time, but nothing that significantly altered an attraction. (Imagination.Imageworks, Energy, Living with the Land, Maelstrom and Impressions de France all being examples).

At Animal Kingdom, Expedition Everest opened in April 2006. The only newer attraction at Animal Kingdom is Finding Nemo:The Musical, which opened either very late 2006 or early 2007. (I saw it in June '07 on my most recent trip). The only change to AK's attraction roster since has been the closing of Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends at the end of September '08. Primeval Whirl had a fairly significant downtime last year but nothing about the ride really changed to my knowledge. the only other attraction that has had downtime is Kali for routine maintenance every so often.

Both Epcot and Animal Kingdom have not seen significant change since or addition since 2007. Even the Studios has more recent attraction and entertainment changes. (Toy Story Mania in 2008, American Idol and Disney Junior in 2009, Star Tours in 2011, and two different parades since 2008.)

Epcot looks like it is in better shape on the surface for two reasons: (1) It is larger than Animal Kingdom (in terms of areas guests can actually walk into and explore without being in a ride vehicle), and (2) it is older and has had more time to grow and change. The fact still remains that FUTURE World is still plugging through with attractions that opened in 1996 (Energy), 1986 (Captain EO is still from the 80s even if it was gone for a decade) and 1999 (Test Track, not to mention an entire pavilion just sitting and collecting dust. World Showcase hasn't seen a new pavilion or significant attraction since Morocco opened in 1988. And Reflections of Earth (for as much as I love it) has been playing without any major nhancements or changes since 1999 also.

Likewise, Animal Kingdom has had two large, completely cleared plots since opening day in 1998. Those areas could have been developed about three or four times over by now.

I agree that Animal Kingdom is in desperate need of expansion. There's no doubt about that. That said, I think epcot definitely needs some improvement.\ as well. Out of the four, it is has to worry the least about capacity problems, but it certainly does need to worry about its relevance and ever-increasing staleness. All four theme parks need to worry about that.

WED Purist

Friday the 30th

By the way, Staggs was in Magic Kingdom today. With Lasseter. It's nice to have a Roy/Walt relationship again.

RunnerEd

By the way, Staggs was in Magic Kingdom today. With Lasseter. It's nice to have a Roy/Walt relationship again.

This trip sounds very promising if they are both in the parks. I don't know enough about Staggs to really have an opinion but John Lasseter; I believe in that guy. Very promising indeed.

misterID

I'd feel a lot better if Lasseter were with staggs at EPCOT and they were standing in front of Imagination shaking their heads in disgust.

TropicalFig8

I'd feel a lot better if Lasseter were with staggs at EPCOT and they were standing in front of Imagination shaking their heads in disgust.

riker.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom