Tom Sawyer's Island & Hidden Paint Brushes?

BellaBelle27

Original Poster
What is the story with the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer Island? I've heard people talk about them but I don't really understand and I was wondering if someone could explain it better. Cast members hide the brushes only in the morning? What do you get if you find them? How well are they hidden? Anyone have any pics?

I've never even been to Tom Sawyer's Island in all my Magic Kingdom trips...am I missing anything? :shrug:

Doombuggy13

Apparently the CM's on TSI hide panitbrushes every morning in various places on the island. If your child finds one and presents it to a CM they will get fast passes for either Splash Mtn or Big Thunder Mtn. Also, supposedly they hide a bag of Mickey's gold in the caves on the island, which is simply a bag of gold colored Mickey confetti, I've heard that if you find this you once again get the mentioned fast passes and get to keep the bag of Mickey's Gold. We searched for both these items on our last trip but came up empty. If you want to find the brushes, you need to get there 1st thing in the morning when it opens, and I believe TSI opens at 10:00 a.m. As far as TSI being worth it, that depends. I am 43 and grew up watching the Tom Sawyer movies. For me it was great because I could relate to the things on the islands. For kids, they don't get it because Tom Sawyer is not Pokemon or based on a Pixar Cartoon. It is a walk around area with an old Mill, caves, and an old wooden fort. It's a nice place to relax and kill some time but not a must see.

GenerationX

I think there are between 4-6 brushes hidden each morning. They are obviously paint brushes, and the bristles have a bright-colored dried paint on them. I've heard that after they are all found, they may be re-hidden, but that is just a rumor.

If you want to find them, the 10:00am raft over to TSI when it opens is key. Be prepared for your kids to be racing against many adults, who seem more than happy to run past a bunch of kids to find them. When we went, my three sons found none, while some guy in his 20s found two.

The attraction itself is cool and a great way for kids to have a place to run around a bit.

pcarathers

My son found one of the paintbrushes a couple years ago. We told a CM at the raft, but we did not bring the brush with us. We didn't get anything for the effort, so remember to take the brush with you when you find it. When we went, it was in the afternoon.

As for the island, my son really liked it because of the caves and the "barrell" bridge. We really got a kick out of his reactions, because he imagined that he was in the pioneer days and acted out a few "scenes" for us.

wagnerdanp

What parts of TSI are the paint brushes normally hidden? I have never seen one hidden and I was curious where the paint brushes have been found.

Thanks

pcarathers

What parts of TSI are the paint brushes normally hidden? I have never seen one hidden and I was curious where the paint brushes have been found.

Thanks

well, my theory was this: Tom was supposed to paint a fence, so we looked for fences that would look like they were in the original story. That worked for us. My son found one in a bucket sitting in front of a fence. I'm not sure exactly where, but I think it was around Polly's? (not sure if that was the name?) anyway, it was the little snack area on the island.

DisneyBunny

We did this on the trip before last... We took the first raft to the island at 10:00 when it opened. The CM told us that Tom and Huck were painting the fence, but left brushes all over the place, and it was up to us to find them. The kids that were on the raft took off at lightning speed, followed by my DH and I. On our travels around the islands, we found two brushes, mostly so I could say I found one and cross it off my "Things I still haven't done at WDW yet" list. They were scattered across both islands, and we actually found more than just the two we picked up.

We then took them both with us to the raft and gave them to two families to turn in for the free fastpasses. The expression on the kids' faces was great. I wanted to make sure some of the younger kids got them, as there were a few gung-ho trampling teens on the raft too, and I wanted to spread the magic around a bit. The CM saw that we gave them away, and gave us fastpasses anyways, which we then gave away to a family at BTM, since we couldn't use them anyways - we were leaving soon, and that was our last stop in the parks. It was a good memory. :D

Here's one of them:

2005-2006_10311.jpg

RachelP6877

Well I was just there on my Honeymoon and we found 2, As for all this "JUst for Kids" too bad, being at WDW is for all to be kids. Disney NOT just for Kids to enjoy the special extras, Like in Japan Area of EPCOT the woman who makes the candy animals only was giving it to Kids ????? I think an Adult would like one too,

DizneyPryncess

They change the amount hidden everyday, according to our raft CM the day we found ours. She said they hide some very easy & some harder each day. The fast pass is good for your whole group for BTMR or Splash, and if you decide to use it, you can't keep it. They ripped ours in half, and wouldn't even let us keep it then. I'm a scrapbooker so I was sad. I have the whole story in my blog - here's a few pics for ya!

47b8dd03b3127cce98548a3529f800000027102AZNG7Zq3cMp

47b8dd03b3127cce98548a3729fa00000027112AZNG7Zq3cMp

JohnByers

if you are lucky, like me you don't have to be there so early. I found one in one of the caverns @ 11:30 the first day in the parks when my family when in early April. The prize was great as far as I am concerned, since we had just finished splash before we went on Tom Sawyers Island we did BTMR. I remember my wife getting mad because she didn't know about it and thought I was going to get in trouble for picking up a prop! :ROFLOL:

bgraham34

My co-worker was telling me that they went last month and the kids so bad wanted to find the brush. They were looking forward to doing this on their trip. All the brush's had been found. When my co-workers husband went to ask if they had all been gone the CM said yes. But the CM saw how sad the girls looked and hid one for them.

Jerm

But the CM saw how sad the girls looked and hid one for them.

Most of the time you need to be on the first raft over and go hog wild looking for it then enjoy the island. Also talking with some of the CM's they do at times re-hide them if the island is slow enough, but odds are high if you don't get there early you wont get them.

klineski96

BUMP

I've seen a few recent comments here and there regarding the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer's Island... so I did a search and found this aging thread.

Anyone found any recently? Does anyone know if CM's are still doing this on a daily basis? Anyone else have any photos to share?

I'm thinking about heading down to MK one weekend in the a.m. to look for one.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Last time we looked, the CM said they didn't have any of the fastpass coupons printed up so they stopped hiding the brushes. Not sure if this is a permanent thing or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom