Tom Fitzerald présente la rénovation de Phantom Manor

cjkeating

Well, it’s open... and it’s awful. Without spoilers, they didn’t understand what they had that made Phantom Manor special. They tried to make it as much like The Haunted Mansion as possible. It’s a sad day for Phantom Manor. All of the CMs coming off the ride are heartbroken to loose something as iconic to the park as the score for Phantom Manor. It’s really sad.

Uh-oh.

WowFactor

Well, it’s open... and it’s awful. Without spoilers, they didn’t understand what they had that made Phantom Manor special. They tried to make it as much like The Haunted Mansion as possible. It’s a sad day for Phantom Manor. All of the CMs coming off the ride are heartbroken to loose something as iconic to the park as the score for Phantom Manor. It’s really sad.
Noooooooooooooo :-(
Please say that you're joking about it

CraftyFox

This is a joke... right? Please let this be a late April Fools!

MotherOfBirds

I was pretty wary when they started talking about "reveals" and other such things. A total overhaul of the effects, AA's, lighting, and sets? Sure. Perfect. Sign me up.

But talking about "finally learning who the phantom is", among other things, is not what it needed. All of the HM's do best when much is left to the imagination. PM has the closest thing to a story of any HM, but it was still subtle. Please, Disney; stop thinking that I need my hand held. WDI has been using fan lore to pander and promote for a while now, at least since Pepe le Queue, and it's subtracting rather than adding.

I realize I'm calling this without having seen a ride-through yet, but PM is my favorite Disney attraction anywhere and I'm rather protective of it. I wanted to see it polished rather than reworked.

If y'all would be so kind as to post a ride-through once one appears, it would be greatly appreciated.. In the meantime, I'll make sure I have enough gin.

Yersterday it was just opened for Cast previews. From what I see on French forums, the Cast Members who did the ride really like it. ;)

KIGhostGuy

Sure. Two well-known forums about DLP are Ed92 and DCP.
Here are the links for the PM refurbishment:
- https://www.ed92.org/forums/topic/exclualadcouvertedephantommanor20/page/47/
- http://www.disneycentralplaza.com/t...on-de-phantom-manor-reouverture-le-3-mai-2019

By the way, you need an account to access the Ed92 forum.
Everything is in french so I'm going to try to do the best I can to translate the first returns in English.
Thank you! Will be interesting to read.

On Ed92:

- Fandlrp: "Pour le compte rendu, je peux dire que quasiment tous les update ont été présentés lors de la soirée, le ride ne change pas tant que ça. Ça reste super sympa."
“For the report , I can say that almost every updates were presented on April 12 at the evening event, the ride doesn’t change that much. It is still nice.”

On Disney Central Plaza:

- ManuV: "Les premiers retours sont "Génial", "Ça vaut vraiment le croup", "un vrai renouveau", et enfin "les fans vont être ravis"."
"The first returns are "Great”, “It is really worth it”, “a real renewal” and finally “fans will be delighted”."

- CaptainNemo: “Comme il faut garder la surprise, je ne dirais que ceci: ça fait plaisir “
“As it has to be a surprise, I will only say this: it cheers you up”

- Wolfoup: "J'ai pu faire l'attraction aujourd'hui. Je suis personnellement satisfait de cette rehab bien que les changements ne sont pas si majeurs qu'on ne le pense"
“I was able to ride it today. I am personally satisfied with this refurbishment even though changes are not as many as people think.”

The Visionary Soul

Yersterday it was just opened for Cast previews. From what I see on French forums, the Cast Members who did the ride really like it. ;)
The CMs saying good things are happy to have something new... the old ride was in dire need of refurbishment. However, those same French CMs don’t understand that Phantom Manor is meant to be different than the Haunted Mansion. I think they really don’t get it. My French friends... the ones who go to Florida and California all the time... they are the ones who are disappointed. As we will be.

britain

The CMs saying good things are happy to have something new... the old ride was in dire need of refurbishment. However, those same French CMs don’t understand that Phantom Manor is meant to be different than the Haunted Mansion. I think they really don’t get it. My French friends... the ones who go to Florida and California all the time... they are the ones who are disappointed. As we will be.

I always liked what Phantom Manor was “going for” but felt a few design / staging choices here and there had hamstrung it, and made it miscommunicate to the audience. I’m all for retaining mystery, so I don’t want the whole story spelled out to me, but mystery should tantalize with possibility. Not simply be confusing.

So I was hopeful for this revision. But they threw out the score!? If they have, I predict it will return in 5-10 years.

wdrive

There's updated portrait effects which are very nice and a simple but nice lighting change as the doors open to the elevator from the lobby. Graveyard animatronics are much more noticeable and smoother too.

britain

One reviewer I saw on Rat Chat said that the bride is essentially now Constance, but letting her father do the killing. Hence some new "will you marry me" invitations and maniacal laughter from her. I suppose that could be true, we'll see.

I suspect another possibility is that the poor bride has suffered such a mental breakdown after her suitors keep getting killed by some phantom (unbeknownst to her to be her father) that she has gone crazy, and thinks she's cursed. Thus her deranged marriage proposal to guests is more of a crazy dare than a murderous invitation.

Come on, youtube! Reveal your secrets!

The Visionary Soul

I always liked what Phantom Manor was “going for” but felt a few design / staging choices here and there had hamstrung it, and made it miscommunicate to the audience. I’m all for retaining mystery, so I don’t want the whole story spelled out to me, but mystery should tantalize with possibility. Not simply be confusing.

So I was hopeful for this revision. But they threw out the score!? If they have, I predict it will return in 5-10 years.
They didn’t throw away the score. It’s still there... but it feels piecemealed together. It goes away for a pretty large section of the attraction and then comes back. In the sections where it was removed, they inserted stuff from the Haunted Mansion. It’s really strange and doesn’t flow as well as the old ride did. The reason it’s so sad is because the scenes where the score was at it best... the ballroom for example... now have the Haunted Mansion score. They really screwed up the attraction.

britain

They didn’t throw away the score. It’s still there... but it feels piecemealed together. It goes away for a pretty large section of the attraction and then comes back. In the sections where it was removed, they inserted stuff from the Haunted Mansion. It’s really strange and doesn’t flow as well as the old ride did. The reason it’s so sad is because the scenes where the score was at it best... the ballroom for example... now have the Haunted Mansion score. They really screwed up the attraction.

Good to hear some of it is still there, I guess. I suppose there's something to the notion that the fully orchestrated dance music in the ballroom doesn't sound ...tragic enough? Perhaps they thought the bare bones organ was creepier.

The Visionary Soul

Good to hear some of it is still there, I guess. I suppose there's something to the notion that the fully orchestrated dance music in the ballroom doesn't sound ...tragic enough? Perhaps they thought the bare bones organ was creepier.
I don’t think that was the reasoning behind the change, as the old music was actually really cinematic in nature. It was the climax of the entire attraction in that scene. Now it’s just kind of... well, stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom