Tokyo Trip Report from Mid April

Piebald

Original Poster
I got the chance to visit TDR last month as a portion of a larger Tokyo trip. It had always been a bucket list item for me to go to Japan and being that we love Disney it was a no brainer to visit the parks. My girlfriend I could tell was slightly apprehensive about Japan overall because she had been to China for work and while she isnt ignorant enough to think the two are similar, I could tell she was concerned about food and cultural differences. She is the planner in the relationship and has planned all of our trips, but let me take the reigns here as she really wasnt sure what to expect.

I decided to start our trip with Disney because of logistical reasons and because I really want to ensure we had time to decide on a Mt. Fuji day trip (which is very dependent on weather.) We ended up visiting on a Sunday, Mon and Tues even after we had heard weekends were horribly busy. We also decided to stay at the Tokyo Disney Celebration Hotel to ensure we would be guaranteed admission. Staying at a Disney resort ensures you can buy tickets otherwise you run the risk on having to buy them the day of and possibly being at capacity. We tried buying them online but evidently it is difficult as your US c.c. will get declined. There is another option through Klook but you can only get a one or two day pass. We wanted the 3 day pass because it is the only park hopper option available at the resort.

Day 1- we arrived super early because we had read up on the resort and learned that people show up very early. Coincidentally it was also the first day of their 35th celebration so we anticipated crowds. The forecast called for light rain and the night before was quite rainy and windy. I chalked it up to us being right on the water (TDR is essentially right on the bay) but good God was "light rain" the understatement of all time. As someone who has lived in FL all my life, this was tropical storm level weather possibly weak Hurricane Cat 1. There were gusts of winds that almost knocked me down. As a reddit user said in a more vulgar way, "Japanese people do not give a crap about the rain so dont think less crowds if its rainy" and it was all I could think about. No one cared. Babies in strollers, the elderly, people getting soaked and having their umbrellas broken...no one batted an eye. We waited in line in horrible wind and rain for an hour and we were finally allowed in. Resort guests are allowed 15 minute early entrance which makes a huge difference here. As we walked in it was a mad dash to get to Main Street since its covered entirely with a roof. When we got in, there were dozens and dozens of cast members waving frantically and smiling from ear to ear. High fiving everyone with excitement as they came in. The first thing I did was walk in a buy a new pair of socks. FINALLY it stopped raining around 10am. By then we had started at Space Mountain and worked our way through the park counter clockwise. Unfortunately Pooh was closed for refurbishment but we did nearly every attraction here. The park is very similar to the US twins, but much more spacious. Tomorrowland is a little bland, and Fantasyland is a little bare but it's still a lovely park. We saw people lining up 4 hours for the new parade, Dreaming Up. No that's not a typo. Four hours. It was a great parade and I'm still trying to figure out who the singer is. If you remove the Disney aspects of it, it is quite easily a top 40 song on the radio. It's very modern by Disney standards and very catchy. The parade is excellent and the floats are top notch.

The attractions are fine, if not a little different. Space Mountain is strange because theres no music. Just oddly silent. Monsters Inc is cute. Way better than the DL version but not something I'd say is a do or die attraction. Their HM is strange because it's in Fantasyland and adjacent to their very very large Splash Mountain.

After spending a very long day it was time for their night parade. Did I mention everyone sits for the parades? Yes what a novelty. No one stands. Everyone brings these plastic mats to sit on. They're almost all Disney themed and can be bought in the parks. At first when the parade started I heard the all too familiar MSEP music and noticed the beginning was the same float. I thought to myself sort of disappointingly, "wait...its just the same old MSEP?"

Of course not. Like everything in Tokyo Disney, it was way better than whatever versions we had and the tech was glaringly different as well as different floats. Excellent parade and as soon as it ended we were worn out. Winds cancelled the fireworks so we headed back. Unlike the nightmare that is when you leave MK after their fireworks and make your way back to the TTC, it seemed way easier to get out of the park. We walked straight to the bus station which doesnt seem miles away like it does in other parks, got on the shuttle and went back to our hotel. Ready for another long day.

Piebald

Original Poster
Day 2- we woke up to a beautiful clear day and began our trek to Disneysea. The Celebration Hotel is an official Disney hotel but it was formerly something else and repurposed by Disney. I personally thought it was fantastic although for their value option it certainly isnt cheap. I say trek because the other strike against it is that it is 15 minutes by shuttle bus. It's not really a strike but if one is hoping to walk to the parks or something then it's a bit far. The great thing here is Japan is extremely punctual so going back and forth is 0 issue. I think a shuttle came every 10 minutes and there is a printed schedule. No waiting around forever and being teased by buses driving by.

Once again we got there early and the line was incredibly long again. The key here is that everyone makes a mad dash towards Toy Story Mania, but since its identical to the US parks we skipped it. We followed the crowd but then went straight instead of left and got FP for Tower of Terror, then worked out way back to Mysterious Island to do Journey and 20k. We had read this was the best strategy to be efficient and it worked very well. First let me say Journey to the Center of the Earth is the quintessential Disney thrill ride. It has a great story, great AA and great thrills. While it may not be a technological marvel that Avatar is, it is AWESOME. We ended up riding this 5 times throughout the day. The YouTube videos dont do it justice. After Journey we did 20k Leagues which is sort of in the same "mountain". This was a neat little ride but not for the claustrophobic for sure. It also seems like it would get really hot and stuffy. The whole island/land is incredibly themed.

Afterwards we walked over to Lost River Delta, which is a very well themed land based on South America. It is home to Indiana Jones and Raging Spirits. Indy is essentially the same ride as DL but the queue is a little different and I believe one of the rooms in the ride is different. The effects all seemed better but I still think DL has a very fine attraction that has aged very well. Raging Spirits is OK, not the best thing ever but something that would be a nice addition at DHS or AK. It's a heck of a lot better than Primeval Whirl.

Close by is Arabian Coast, home to Sindbad which surprisingly I think is the second best attraction at TDS. It is extremely well done yet simple. The AAs are amazing and the music is catchy. For a ride that evidently never has much of a line, it is excellent. It's just a dark ride on a boat with singing and dancing AAs, yet no other Disney attraction comes close to it for some reason. It's just really well done.

Their version of Tower looks absolutely stunning. The theme is entirely different and the main character is modeled after Joe Rhode. The preshow is awesome and actually left me with a rare "how did they do that?" moment that I had to look up once I got home. The ride is pretty much the same concept and offers a nice view of Mysterious Island. Big Band Beat is a great show that features music and dance from American 1920s. The show is one of the rare performances at TDR in English and it features a finale with Mickey performing a drum solo which I believe was not prerecorded but I could be wrong? Cool show that requires either a long standby line or a lottery system where you scan your ticket to see if you "won" a seat that day.

Aside from Nemo which we heard was disappointing and Toy Story, we did pretty much everything at this park multiple times. We ended the night walking out and catching glimpses of their version of Fantasmic which is done in a lagoon and on moving stages. Looked interesting but we were dead tired after being there close to 14 hours.

Piebald

Original Poster
Day 3- this was really a day to shop and re ride some things we enjoyed. The plan was to leave in the afternoon and make our way into Shinjuku Tokyo where we were staying for the Tokyo of our trip. I'll use this portion of my report to summarize some observations.

-TDR is the best resort I've been to. I've visited all but Shanghai and HK but this one beats the others with quite the beatdown.

- while TDL is a fine park, Disneysea is what carries the resort to a new level. The theming is just out of this world. I had friends who legitimately thought I was in Italy when I posted some pictures. In fact, the park isn't even really about the attractions to me. They are secondary to the ambience and theme. That being said, I am disappointed their next big attraction is Soarin. I dont get the company's fascination with it and I'm surprised the OLC is fine with that coming over to Disneysea especially with some of the pretty good attractions we've seen since TDS opened.

- the food is quite good. Every little snack, while some odd, are all tasty. The Chandu tail I heard so much about? I had like 5 of them in the course of 2 days. The pizza egg rolls, the shrimp burgers, the rice cake wrapped in pork....its all so good and so different. You won't find your burgers and chicken tenders here, at least not prevalent. If you're a picky eater this may be a bit of an adventure. While its no fried salamander on a stick adventurous, their foods are quite unique. I didn't even eat at a table service the entire time. Their QS options and prices were worlds better than the other parks.

-the merchandise. Its eccentric, weird....but AWESOME. Disney has definitely stepped up their merch game in recent years, even while placating to the hoarders and resellers with their limited edition stuff, but Tokyos merch is really out there. It's much more character driven by what people like over there. They really like their cute stuff. I dont even have to venture into the whole Duffy thing. That's a beast on it's own. No wonder they tried to shove Duffy down out throats here; it was certainly worth a shot. I noticed Donald is "cute" here. In all the plush he looks more like his nephews. Its interesting. They also really love Chip and Dale. You will find some obscure character merchandise there as well. Like, really obscure.

- the characters. I'm not a big character guy, but I do think it adds a unique twist to visiting a Disney park. If you like them, they have a ton here...and the unique style of meeting them is so much better. No queues or feelings of conveyor belt style m&g...just very organic and fluid interactions. I must say I really felt like the CMs here are way way more animated. Their movements and ability to communicate with you, really makes you feel like youre meeting Genie and not sweaty college kid. The few face characters who interacted with me were fantastic. I can only assume these are coveted roles there and Disney sends their best.

-the culture. Above all, this is a huge reason I think these parks cant be replicated no matter how many attractions or shows they decided to copy. The culture is so incredibly polite and the people take such pride in their roles. No off day grumpy bus driver or distracted cashier talking BS with their coworkers. These people acted as if they were programmed by the creators of Westworld to 100% acquiesce every guest. That's not an insult to say the Japanese people are some robotic caricatures; they're just awesome. I saw this extended throughout our trip in Japan beyond the theme parks where surely people would be more "real" and prone to having a bad day, right? Nope. So clean, so polite and so many (good) OCD like tendencies...it really makes the whole experience awesome. If you have the opportunity to visit TDR, GO! Dont let language or culture deter you. I have an AP to WDW and for several reasons I have yet to make it out in nearly a month but I'm almost afraid the entire time I'll be sizing it up to TDR from now on.

For anyone who bothered reading this and is planning a trip, I must say proper planning is definitely necessary. I think we planned well and we had a great time, but I could see it getting out of hand if one doesnt read up on everything and plans it all out meticulously. Its Disney you're familiar with, but with a significant twist.

IMDREW

Thank you so much! I am planning a trip for january next year and this helps me so much! Am thinking about staying at a disney hotel as well so I can get in haha. Does it work if you stay 1 night, but do 3 days?

Piebald

Original Poster
Thank you so much! I am planning a trip for january next year and this helps me so much! Am thinking about staying at a disney hotel as well so I can get in haha. Does it work if you stay 1 night, but do 3 days?

You mean stay off property the other 2 days? Sure, people do it all the time but its definitely more convenient to stay close. TDR is in an odd place that can be best described as semi industrial area. It's near the bay so aside from some hotels it's not some super touristy area. Tokyo is unimaginably huge.

IMDREW

You mean stay off property the other 2 days? Sure, people do it all the time but its definitely more convenient to stay close. TDR is in an odd place that can be best described as semi industrial area. It's near the bay so aside from some hotels it's not some super touristy area. Tokyo is unimaginably huge.
Yes, well I got a good rate for the Hilton next to the resort. So that’s still closeby but much cheaper than a disney hotel for me. But one night would give me that little disney hotel taste and if it guarantees entrance to the parks for my three days, it’ll be worth it.

Piebald

Original Poster
Yes, well I got a good rate for the Hilton next to the resort. So that’s still closeby but much cheaper than a disney hotel for me. But one night would give me that little disney hotel taste and if it guarantees entrance to the parks for my three days, it’ll be worth it.
If you can't stay at a resort you can still buy tickets in advance. Itd just be a bit more stressful if you flew directly into Tokyo and planned to do Disney immediately. If you're in town a few days or have a day or two before actually going to a park its fine. They even sell tickets at Lawson I believe, a store similar to 7/11. You can definitely buy them at the Disney store too.

IMDREW

If you can't stay at a resort you can still buy tickets in advance. Itd just be a bit more stressful if you flew directly into Tokyo and planned to do Disney immediately. If you're in town a few days or have a day or two before actually going to a park its fine. They even sell tickets at Lawson I believe, a store similar to 7/11. You can definitely buy them at the Disney store too.
Thanks! Helps alot! So just to be clear; if you’re staying at a disneyresort you are guaranteed entrace to the parks? Sorry if I’m being confusing, english is not my first language. But it sounds like you had a great time!

Piebald

Original Poster
Thanks! Helps alot! So just to be clear; if you’re staying at a disneyresort you are guaranteed entrace to the parks? Sorry if I’m being confusing, english is not my first language. But it sounds like you had a great time!
Yes so if you stay at a Disney resort you are guaranteed a ticket for the length of your stay. You dont have to worry about them being sold out.

jaxonp

Great review.. I was just there last month and wrote down my thoughts.. I haven't finished my last two days.. been busy but I echo much of what you said. Tokyo Disney is the heart of Disney. I believe it is the Magic Kingdom that Walt would have wanted to build. He'd be so proud of this place.

david10225

Loved your report. Similar to my trip 3 years ago. I would love to hear how you managed the Mt Fuji portion. Early planning a trip back this fall.

Piebald

Original Poster
Loved your report. Similar to my trip 3 years ago. I would love to hear how you managed the Mt Fuji portion. Early planning a trip back this fall.
Very easy. I booked a bus from Shinjuku station to Fujiyoshida. The same bus stops in Fuji Q Highland. From Fujiyoshida station you can jump on a bus that goes all around Lake Kawaguchiko. We took a very short 5 minute train to Shimyoshida station where we walked up to the chureito pagoda.

david10225

Thanks - I've made my plans and we will be in Tokyo in October (after some time in Italy). If I have the guts, I'll try and make it out to Mt. Fuji with your advice noted above.

Piebald

Original Poster
Thanks - I've made my plans and we will be in Tokyo in October (after some time in Italy). If I have the guts, I'll try and make it out to Mt. Fuji with your advice noted above.
You should. It's very simple. You can PM and I can tell you very specifically how to do it. Of course it all depends on weather as IMO a trip out is not worth it if there is any cloud coverage or fog. But its totally worth a day trip if not more. October should be a beautiful time for TDR. I'm jealous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom