Tokyo Splash Retheme

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has there been any word on if Tokyo will indeed be saying goodbye to the Br'ers?

BasiltheBatLord

An OLC spokesman responded to a press inquiry saying something like they're "considering how to respond in Japan"

Aside from that nothing official. imo, that statement is vague enough to where I don't think there's a lot of reason to worry right now. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Animaniac93-98

TDR is already building 4 more rides and 2 new hotels at the moment, all of which are scheduled to be done within the next 3 years.

And they just finished an expansion of TDL and a redo of that park's entrance.

I don't think Splash is a priority for them right now. Maybe after Fantasy Springs is done.

Robbiem

If they did change splash in Tokyo I could see them having a different theme. The new orleans area is no where near critter country with most of adventureland and frontier between them and OLC aren’t as keen on clones anymore. Then again stitch is in adventureland and tomorrowland so anything could happen

G.L.A.D.I.O

Maybe...

Attachments

• 6c9f1df8918db90b5e2af1ac3557e830.jpg
    6c9f1df8918db90b5e2af1ac3557e830.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 441
  • 351_thum_name.jpg
    351_thum_name.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 461

ThemeParkTraveller

Never would have thought of it, but turning Critter Country into Wonderland is an interesting idea.

Moving the teacups over wouldn't be that hard, but what would happen to the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall?

In such a scenario, I imagine they could probably retheme the Banquet Hall to IASW next door. The whimsical and colorful design of the restaurant already lends itself well to such a change.

Homemade Imagineering

In such a scenario, I imagine they could probably retheme the Banquet Hall to IASW next door. The whimsical and colorful design of the restaurant already lends itself well to such a change.
Nice idea! They could retheme it to an extension of the “Small World Station” which is the indoor portion of the IASW queue. It could be a seafood restaurant, since you are next to a dock and you’re supposed to be next to the ocean, ready to set sail!

ThemeParkTraveller

Additional info on Splash:
This whole Splash Mountain thing was torpedoed by Tokyo. Disney wanted to get completely away from Song of the South, but OLC essentially told them to pound sand. That meant they're stuck spending enormous money just to match the current quality, and simultaneously NOT getting away from Song of the South. So the only gain they get is Tiana might sell better in the souvenir shop.

According to one of the insiders, it seems Disney tried and failed to sell the Splash Mountain re-theme project to OLC. It seems they are content to leave the attraction as it is.

tanc

No one has mentioned that Tokyo Disney has many sponsored rides, including Splash Mountain. I would imagine that if a company helps pay for a ride, that you would not want to retheme it. That would be quite rude, and that could be one of the reasons. Plus Tokyo has a restaurant area that is themed to Splash Mountain, that you can see the log flumes going by. They probably don't want to have to dismantle that too. It would be a massive project to undertake and Japan I doubt wants to deal with it.

Even if they would consider a retheme, they may not even want to because it's such a huge investment. Splash Mountain in inflated currency cost $186 million for just one. Now, imagine the cost of if they have to completely dismantle it, rebuild the structure and scenes, and redo the mountain. Very well could be a $200+ million retheme with the newest technology they can add. They don't even know how the ride will go, so they are the smarter ones if anything. I believe a complete reconstruction may have to be done because they make a tree in the new PATF and so we are talking about a huge investment. Tokyo also has its Splash Mountain restaurant that would have to be rethemed or completely dismantled as it is literally attached to the attraction basically.

The Japanese may even get confused as to why it is being rethemed, mind you that basically all of Tokyo Disneyland's attendance is by Japanese people. I don't see them caring much about the source material of the ride as that problem has nothing to do with them. Their theme parks are literally within the top 5 attended in the world. They see 15+ million people a year, and most of them are Japanese.

"Presented by Kao Corporation"

Last edited:

tanc

OLC told Disney to "Go pound sand" when the idea for a retheme was presented
I allegedly heard this, but I could see it happening. I would be happy if they had at least one version, although Disney will do everything they can when they have to money to get rid of it. Tokyo Disney may even fight back and say for them to make a critter country ride, and not PATF and even then they always want the best version of a ride.

Worst part is that the new PATF will likely have screens, which already to me downgrades the quality of the ride. Seeing animatronics is so cool and so Disney has a huge amount of expectation to replace the ride. There's literally not a single screen in Splash Mountain, which is just incredible to me.

Magic Feather

OLC told Disney to "Go pound sand" when the idea for a retheme was presented
The idea of a Japanese Businessman telling anyone to “go pound sand” is absolutely hilarious to me. I’d even go as far as to doubt it was a “hard no.” OLC has a reputation for pulling the “wait and see” approach when it comes to cloning things from other parks. If PatF becomes a huge hit and Japanese audiences want to see the ride at their park, it would absolutely come. The likelihood of that is... admittedly low, but barring the majority Japanese culture suddenly dropping its conservative backbone and mild ignorance towards issues of racism in Western cultures, Japan will likely be keeping Splash Mountain for the foreseeable future.

Brer Oswald

I allegedly heard this, but I could see it happening. I would be happy if they had at least one version, although Disney will do everything they can when they have to money to get rid of it. Tokyo Disney may even fight back and say for them to make a critter country ride, and not PATF and even then they always want the best version of a ride.

Worst part is that the new PATF will likely have screens, which already to me downgrades the quality of the ride. Seeing animatronics is so cool and so Disney has a huge amount of expectation to replace the ride. There's literally not a single screen in Splash Mountain, which is just incredible to me.
There’s two projected effects

Brer Oswald

The idea of a Japanese Businessman telling anyone to “go pound sand” is absolutely hilarious to me. I’d even go as far as to doubt it was a “hard no.” OLC has a reputation for pulling the “wait and see” approach when it comes to cloning things from other parks. If PatF becomes a huge hit and Japanese audiences want to see the ride at their park, it would absolutely come. The likelihood of that is... admittedly low, but barring the majority Japanese culture suddenly dropping its conservative backbone and mild ignorance towards issues of racism in Western cultures, Japan will likely be keeping Splash Mountain for the foreseeable future.
I doubt the phrase “Go pound sand” was used. They usually have a delicate way of saying “We’ve heard your idea and it sucks”, although it is pretty clear however they put it, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom