Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

PiratesMansion

Would LOVE to know if Beauty and the Beast is actually opening...it should, right?

I believe they announced that the opening of BATB would be delayed.

Edit: Another thought occured to me regarding the various Splash Mountains. The US parks have had long term issues with keeping everything running and in shape with their versions of Splash, and there's speculation in other threads that part of the reason the changes are happening now is because Splash would have needed major work anyway even if they weren't planning to change the storyline. In retrospect, I wonder if the primary reason for the closure of Critter Country and the entire riverfront last year was that Tokyo's Splash, which opened the same year as WDW's, was at the point where it needed that major work and they seized the opportunity to expand that to encompass the entire riverfront area while the area's major draw was down.

I have no proof of this, but given what some people are saying in other threads, it would seem to line up.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

Tokyo Disney Resort app is now live on international app stores and Canada.
and No Previews for new rides but the area is open and Bgm is turned on.

IN ENGLISH! I'm registering and am so unbelievably thrilled!

This was unthinkable a year or two ago. I'm guessing the Olympics made them decide to act, but even when the Japanese app came out there were people saying they didn't think it would ever happen. This is huge!

EDIT: It's even linked to existing Disney accounts for other parks!

I love how the orientation of the park changes when you move from one park to the other so that it's oriented in the same way the map is. This is the correct approach, instead of locking the park in N/S orientation no matter what and extending that to maps too a la WDW that makes navigating DHS harder than it should be, unless they got around to changing that.

Last edited:

Stevie Amsterdam

EDIT:
Those Marvel attractions...will NOT age well. In 15 years, they will feel washed out. We need MORE instant classics.
Beauty and the Beast, Peter Pan, Frozen, Tangled, Snow White, Ariel, even Mickey&Minnie. These will endure the test of time.
Now all I can dream of is a POCAHONTAS ride :cry: (Would love that in Paris, in a Bear Country setting, but anywhere in the world would still be okay).
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Marvel has been around for six decades and it is their compelling story telling that makes the franchise so popular (admittedly their hefty cgi movies play a part in that too, lol ;)).

While you're not wrong that the classics you mentioned are still relevant today, so is Marvel. It just "feels" newer because the MCU has been around for, what, 11 years now?

Toni25

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Marvel has been around for six decades and it is their compelling story telling that makes the franchise so popular (admittedly their hefty cgi movies play a part in that too, lol ;)).

While you're not wrong that the classics you mentioned are still relevant today, so is Marvel. It just "feels" newer because the MCU has been around for, what, 11 years now?
And you believe attractions built after live action movies are instant classics like animations?
An animation never gets old...live actions on the other hand 🙃
I bet some Marvel Attractions won't even get to age since reboots are such a quick happening in Hollywood, everything is made for the moment, not with longevity in mind.
Animations on the other hand, are timeless.

EDIT: The only attraction after a live action movie that I can think of right now, that ended up standing the test of time, is Indiana Jones.
But not thanks to the movie, thanks to the reputation of the ride itself. These new Marvel attractions are HEAVILY screen based.

Robbiem

And you believe attractions built after live action movies are instant classics like animations?
An animation never gets old...live actions on the other hand 🙃
I bet some Marvel Attractions won't even get to age since reboots are such a quick happening in Hollywood, everything is made for the moment, not with longevity in mind.
Animations on the other hand, are timeless.

EDIT: The only attraction after a live action movie that I can think of right now, that ended up standing the test of time, is Indiana Jones.
But not thanks to the movie, thanks to the reputation of the ride itself. These new Marvel attractions are HEAVILY screen based.

i agree the problem with attractions based on ‘real’ people is that the people age like Ellen and the universe of energy& it makes people think about the age of the ride. a classic ride like star tours gets round it by not having the original cast - think how dated the ride would be if the pre show had featured mid 80s mark hamill, or how dated something like rise of the resistance will be in 30 years time when the actors on the screens are the age of the original stars

Similarly Indy only bookends the ride and you really play his part on it. Marvel as itself isn’t the problem but the execution is something like guardians will datemore quickly than the spidey ride at universal because the actors will age or get swapped out etc

brb1006

Meanwhile at Walt Disney World
01-be-our-guest-entry-night-castle.jpg

PiratesMansion

I don't know that any of the Marvel attractions I've experienced are *bad* per se, other than Ant-Man, but they don't feel like they belong within the established aesthetics, traditions, etc that defines most of Disney's work. They feel distinctly different and more within, say, Universal's aesthetic.

They lack a certain wonder and intrigue (or disarming simplicity) that the best attractions provide.

The Pandora rides feel more "Disney" than any of the Marvel attractions IMO.

BubbaisSleep

I don't know that any of the Marvel attractions I've experienced are *bad* per se, other than Ant-Man, but they don't feel like they belong within the established aesthetics, traditions, etc that defines most of Disney's work. They feel distinctly different and more within, say, Universal's aesthetic.

They lack a certain wonder and intrigue (or disarming simplicity) that the best attractions provide.

The Pandora rides feel more "Disney" than any of the Marvel attractions IMO.
Disney has been busy shoehorning everything in they forgot how to make the content relate to their parks.

Stark expo perfectly represents Tomorrowland & Epcot, & it could have brought classics like ATIS, Journey in Imagination, Innoventions, and more back into our lives in a way that is still fresh & would bring in today’s youth. It would have been the most realistic way as Disney only does IP but it still would have stayed true to Disney. Stark Expo is basically a copy of the NY World Fair & Epcot, if you google it you would probably think it was concept art for Epcot.

Not only does Disney lack the creativity, but they sadly couldn’t do this due to IOA’s contract. Now we get Moana and a sky bar. Epcot...

jrhwdw

So... seeing on Twitter that TDR just cancelled ALL EVENTS Except Bay-Max through March 2021!!!
Thought Christmas was safe but guess not!! Doesn't give me hope for Christmas at US Parks! Why cann Christmas now?!

I'm guessing we won't be seeing Dreaming Up!/Dreamlights/New Fantasyland until Spring 2021??

PiratesMansion

So... seeing on Twitter that TDR just cancelled ALL EVENTS Except Bay-Max through March 2021!!!
Thought Christmas was safe but guess not!! Doesn't give me hope for Christmas at US Parks! Why cann Christmas now?!

I'm guessing we won't be seeing Dreaming Up!/Dreamlights/New Fantasyland until Spring 2021??

In fairness, they were already scheduled to be light on events in 2020 prior to Covid19.

I imagine the US parks will put up their decorations but cancel the parties and entertainment.

Maybe the entertainment going is sad, but...there's very little justification for the Christmas parties anyway besides $$$$$, so I'm not going to be upset about that particular loss.

SweetDuffy101

Heck its going to be a miracle to get a 20th anniversary celebration in september, Or maybe we will get a toned down celebration like we had in 2011.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom