Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

RandySavage

^ Agreed.

I'm fine with the TDL Hotel, but it doesn't have the elegant proportions nor the restraint that the DLP hotel/Grand Floridian (original version) have and is somewhat clunky and overbearing in its (McMansionish) application of ornament. Disney's "Mictorian" Hotels are inspired by the American coastal resort Victorian-style, and the few examples of that style tended to be lower and more sprawling (as noted above).

In looking at it, while its colors, paneling and turrets are Victorian, TDL Hotel's verticality and gilded domes remind me of some European resorts of the Grand Hotel era, (a style which Disney's Riviera completely face-planted in trying to evoke). If you took the TDL Hotel plans, replaced the witches hat turrets with neobaroque domes and made the facade look like masonry, you'd end-up with a vastly-superior Riviera-themed deluxe hotel than what WDW just built, architecturally.

I give TDL hotel leaway for a couple reasons, a big one being that the facade of World Bazaar isn't some gloriously-rendered edifice - it's on par with the hotel (or slightly below, even). This is reason why I'm good with the crazy new Hong Kong castle... it's execution, as artificial or Frankensteinish as it might look to some, harmonizes with the level/style of HK's Fantasyland.

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm fine with the TDL Hotel, but it doesn't have the elegant proportions nor the restraint that the DLP hotel/Grand Floridian (original version) have and is somewhat clunky and overbearing in its (McMansionish) application of ornament. Disney's "Mictorian" Hotels are inspired by the American coastal resort Victorian-style, and the few examples of that style tended to be lower and more sprawling (as noted above).

The original concept for the TDL Hotel appears to have been closer to the others in scale. The central turret with the Mickey Mouse clock seems directly inspired by the DL Hotel in Paris.

47a481056c35df41ea5010f9932a9ede.gif

A year or so later, the concept changed to reflect the current design. One of the biggest issues I have with the TDL Hotel currently is the beige, untextured exterior. It lacks the visible woodwork found in the other "Mictorian" hotels, making the overall structure feel inauthentic (in addition to its size) for the Victorian period its trying to portray.

7734f841920cd9b2fa6dd1a14be74de7.gif

RandySavage

Lots of notable pics on the TDL expansion from Japanese twitter today: https://twitter.com/minnie_level_X
Here are a few:
Overall State:
EK1zUgnUYAASTW6.jpg large.jpg

Knew this was going to be an issue from the Model release long ago: B&B showbuilding gets the "Go-Away-Green" Treatment in Toontown:
EK1HUx9UUAAOQ9H.jpg

Painted flat(ish) backdrops for the theater: a middle ground between best practice (real, dimensional theme-ing) and worst (nothing).
EK1t4h6UYAAFEeh.jpg

Here's a question I've had since noting this same practice at MK's Little Mermaid: If the upper elements (such as statuary or ballustrades) of the castle are at a smaller scale (forced perspective), why are roof shingles/tiles kept at full 1:1 scale? Is this done intentionally to confuse the eye? Do scaled-down roof tiles look worse? I wonder...
EK2Skb7UwAAecjq.jpg

Overall castle:
EK2R0hQVUAcbrjy.jpg

Robbiem

I dont mind the Tokyo Disneyland hotel. Ive not stayed there but ive visited the public spaces are nice especially the lobby. I always thought the colour scheme was to make the hotel look cheerful in overcast tokyo skies

I found the miracosta to be nice on the outside but the lobby and public areas were very crowded im not sure id stay there except for the amazing views you’d get from some of the rooms to be honest it was my least favourite of the three on site official hotels

lazyboy97o

I'll let @lazyboy97o answer that. He had a solid rant a few years ago. I think the oversimplified answer is that it is a few stories too large and a bit grotesque as a result.

15a19fd7_z.jpg

80455618-chiba-japan-view-of-tokyo-disneyland-hotel-located-in-tokyo-disney-resort-urayasu-chiba-japan.jpg

It's not terrible, but in terms of park integration that's probably more in line to OLC's tastes.

(also full disclosure I know nothing about what makes good architecture...)
Thanks! I tried searching because I rant, a lot, and am curious to remember what I wrote. I think a lot of what I would say now was covered. @RandySavage mentioning McMansions is a really great summary. The proportions are just all wonky for what it is supposed to represent

The original concept for the TDL Hotel appears to have been closer to the others in scale. The central turret with the Mickey Mouse clock seems directly inspired by the DL Hotel in Paris.

47a481056c35df41ea5010f9932a9ede.gif

A year or so later, the concept changed to reflect the current design. One of the biggest issues I have with the TDL Hotel currently is the beige, untextured exterior. It lacks the visible woodwork found in the other "Mictorian" hotels, making the overall structure feel inauthentic (in addition to its size) for the Victorian period its trying to portray.

7734f841920cd9b2fa6dd1a14be74de7.gif
Even in that early art you see the same sort of problems that are throughout the Tokyo Disneyland and show how it is a sort of imitation of an imitation. It’s got the huge quasi-Palladian windows on the lobby. It is topped by large, cantilevering balconies that make sense on an eccentric Victorian house but not a grand seaside resort. The roof gets a bit better in the later art, as a Mansard makes more sense for the scale but is clearly not occupied. Even it’s U-shape is kind of odd and creates a weird set of relationships with the towers.

Lots of notable pics on the TDL expansion from Japanese twitter today: https://twitter.com/minnie_level_X
Here are a few:
Overall State:
View attachment 430065

Knew this was going to be an issue from the Model release long ago: B&B showbuilding gets the "Go-Away-Green" Treatment in Toontown:
View attachment 430066

Painted flat(ish) backdrops for the theater: a middle ground between best practice (real, dimensional theme-ing) and worst (nothing).
View attachment 430067

Here's a question I've had since noting this same practice at MK's Little Mermaid: If the upper elements (such as statuary or ballustrades) of the castle are at a smaller scale (forced perspective), why are roof shingles/tiles kept at full 1:1 scale? Is this done intentionally to confuse the eye? Do scaled-down roof tiles look worse? I wonder...
View attachment 430076

Overall castle:
View attachment 430077
The green box in ToonTown is vary disappointing.

The actual painting of the flat looks nice in the photograph. I think the typical problem with this approach is that Mountain sort of just pops up, so it stands out as something unique but then is flat and ends up reading more like a well painted building. The easy solution is to add more, but it’s easy to be viewed as wasting money on what is a cheaper, less desired approach.

Regulatory approvals and warranties is why I would imagine roof tiles are not scaled.

Animaniac93-98

That's a big relief. My TDL routine will now be to Fastpass Ride and Go Seek, immediately standby for Hunny Hunt, and use single rider for Beauty and the Beast and Splash Mountain.

The two times I did Ride and Go Seek were both within the hour before closing. Both times stand by was under 30 min.

Not sure if that's true most days, but it's worked for me.

Does Big Thunder still have its single rider line? That was great!

RandySavage

I found this image very surprising:
ELUOruxU8AAp7QF.jpg large.jpg

This is the Cindy Castle refurb, which would indicate a significantly different skin is going on it - at least the upper parts:
1. I couldn't see OLC doing this without a big announcement, artwork, etc..
2. I assume the Japanese audience is even more sentimentally attached to their castle than Americans are and wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of making major changes.
3. Is there time to reskin the entire castle before the Improved Tokyo Disneyland (entrance, expansion) is completed in Mid April?

Is this Tokyo not wanting to be the only castle park with a (mostly) cloned centerpiece?

Timothy_Q

I found this image very surprising:
View attachment 431825

This is the Cindy Castle refurb, which would indicate a significantly different skin is going on it - at least the upper parts:
1. I couldn't see OLC doing this without a big announcement, artwork, etc..
2. I assume the Japanese audience is even more sentimentally attached to their castle than Americans are and wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of making major changes.
3. Is there time to reskin the entire castle before the Improved Tokyo Disneyland (entrance, expansion) is completed in Mid April?

Is this Tokyo not wanting to be the only castle park with a (mostly) cloned centerpiece?
That’s part of the main window, looks exactly the same to me.

is that piece being added or being removed?

RandySavage

^ Hah! Yeah, looking at a close-up of the castle, I see now where it goes.

False alarm.

Maybe it's the (Hong Kong-like) color or seeing it in isolation threw me for a loop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom