Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

RandySavage

The execution of the themed hotel will be critical to this land (as will blocking out the midrise unthemed hotels which loom nearby).

I don't have a ton of confidence that Iger's Disney has the ability/will to design & build a themed resort hotel that is architecturally worthy of being onstage in a park, especially a DisneySea.

The art they showed is essentially a modernish hotel in its underlying form, but with an odd DisneyPrincess dressing, which is not a building-type you'd find in a bygone fairytale setting. Contrast that to MiraCosta or Disneyland Paris Hotels, which architecturally conform to and enhance the historic architectural styles of the lands to which they're attached.

The unusual "two-hotel-massing" in this foam model may be good sign that it will veer from standard hotel massing.

Regardless, it will be a fun mega-project to watch.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

The execution of the themed hotel will be critical to this land (as will blocking out the midrise unthemed hotels which loom nearby).

I don't have a ton of confidence that Iger's Disney has the ability/will to design & build a themed resort hotel that is architecturally worthy of being onstage in a park, especially a DisneySea.

The art they showed is essentially a modernish hotel in its underlying form, but with an odd DisneyPrincess dressing, which is not a building-type you'd find in a bygone fairytale setting. Contrast that to MiraCosta or Disneyland Paris Hotels, which architecturally conform to and enhance the historic architectural styles of the lands to which they're attached.

The unusual "two-hotel-massing" in this foam model may be good sign that it will veer from standard hotel massing.

Regardless, it will be a fun mega-project to watch.

I wonder if there might be two distinctly themed wings to the hotel- one bordering the Neverland section and the other facing Arendelle.

Pics of Fantasy Springs expansion model have hit Twitter:

It's early, basic foam, so it doesn't overly-impress, but interesting to learn how it will be laid out.

I must say I'm jealous seeing TDR getting 1:1 scale (at least you can get inside even if not 1:1) castles all over TDL and TDS while other parks only have miniatures or models that are magnified just by forced perspective...

SappySappy

Screenshot_20191202-054155_Twitter.jpg

Are we sure that the Tinker Bell ride is gonna be a trackless ride? Because when i zoomed the model there's like a flying track for suspended ride, like Peter Pan's Flight... and when you see it there's "...nker Be..." written probably for "Tinker Bell" and then "F..." under it... is the ride gonna be called "Tinker Bell's Flight" and gonna use the same ride system as Peter Pan's Flight?

Timothy_Q

View attachment 429793

Are we sure that the Tinker Bell ride is gonna be a trackless ride? Because when i zoomed the model there's like a flying track for suspended ride, like Peter Pan's Flight... and when you see it there's "...nker Be..." written probably for "Tinker Bell" and then "F..." under it... is the ride gonna be called "Tinker Bell's Flight" and gonna use the same ride system as Peter Pan's Flight?
Good catch!

If they're indeed tracks, they look extremely close to each other in every turn.
I wonder what system it is

Either way, feels like it'll be more than the standard american parks flat ride

BrianLo

To be fair, I don't think the CEO has much of anything to do with OLC projects historically. I know he at one point tried to sell them on Pandora and Radiator Springs, but it very much seems like OLC is just calling the shots.

Just look to the garbage Eisner's Disney was delivering at the same time as DisneySea.

The problem of course is MiraCosta is great, but the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is a weird monstrosity. So when it comes to hotel design I worry what they prefer.

PiratesMansion

To be fair, I don't think the CEO has much of anything to do with OLC projects historically. I know he at one point tried to sell them on Pandora and Radiator Springs, but it very much seems like OLC is just calling the shots.

Just look to the garbage Eisner's Disney was delivering at the same time as DisneySea.

The problem of course is MiraCosta is great, but the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is a weird monstrosity. So when it comes to hotel design I worry what they prefer.

What's wrong with the TDL Hotel? I think it's the overall best of the 'Mictorians' (albeit I have never stayed in any of them) visually.

It does tower over the entrance a bit more than their other hotels, but that seems intentional to block out the outside world from TDL's entrance.

Animaniac93-98

What's wrong with the TDL Hotel? I think it's the overall best of the 'Mictorians' (albeit I have never stayed in any of them) visually.

It does tower over the entrance a bit more than their other hotels, but that seems intentional to block out the outside world from TDL's entrance.

IMO it's a weird shape and very odd from a colour standpoint. Lots of gold. Too much gold.

It's "fancy" to the point of being a bit tacky. I prefer the Paris Disneyland Hotel and HKDL Hotel (the only one I've stayed at of the four).

BrianLo

I'll let @lazyboy97o answer that. He had a solid rant a few years ago. I think the oversimplified answer is that it is a few stories too large and a bit grotesque as a result.

15a19fd7_z.jpg

80455618-chiba-japan-view-of-tokyo-disneyland-hotel-located-in-tokyo-disney-resort-urayasu-chiba-japan.jpg

It's not terrible, but in terms of park integration that's probably more in line to OLC's tastes.

(also full disclosure I know nothing about what makes good architecture...)

BrianLo

Looking at this picture I'm getting Macau/Vegas vibes from it. Like someone wanted to replicate the style of the Paris hotel, but make it "prettier".

5-7 stories and a mansard tends to be most European city buildings. If they knocked off 3 stories and re-designed it, I think it would be palatable.

From what I can see of the TDS design, it might not actually be so looming. Or at least taper itself.

It's definitely busy just to be busy, I agree.

ThemeParkTraveller

I suppose MiraCosta's design had to seamlessly blend in with the rest of Mediterranean Harbor since it's not only an in-park hotel but also the backbone of the entire TDS entrance. The TDL Hotel probably didn't have the same thematic constraints since it's not integral to any part of TDL itself. One can only hope that the new Fantasy Springs hotel is more meticulously designed to ensure it enhances instead of detracts from the immersiveness of the new port.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom