Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

jaxonp

I’m super excited for the Peter Pan part of this land and the ride. Never understood why they haven’t built Neverland anywhere else. It has so much potential. I now have an Asia tour planned for 2024 to try and visit all 3 asian resorts. Hope it all pans out.

hopefully Shanghai opens up... I love the free visa option they have/had* not sure.. Fly in Shanghai then fly to HK before flying/leaving Tokyo for the free transit visa. Hopefully some new things will be open at all three resorts.

SplashJacket

hopefully Shanghai opens up... I love the free visa option they have/had* not sure.. Fly in Shanghai then fly to HK before flying/leaving Tokyo for the free transit visa. Hopefully some new things will be open at all three resorts.
Exactly what we did in 2018.

Even with Zootopia and Frozen, not too eager to get back to either resort. And if we would go back to China, we’d want to spend more than the 144(?) hours there and explore beyond Shanghai.

In 24 we’re gonna thoroughly tour Japan and meetup with some family in Osaka with a few Tokyo Disney days tacked on.

ChiGuy4Now

I have to agree with you. This blueprint makes things way more exciting! With the show building being roughly the same size as Indy next door, this changes the game for me. Wasn't too excited for this attraction when the rumor was a FoP reworking, but now I am.

No Name

So is there going to be a gateway from Fantasyland to Fantasy Springs? I mean it’s no Potter but with the physical proximities, thematic similarities, and character redundancies, and all other -ies, it seems kind of obvious to me.

jaxonp

Exactly what we did in 2018.

Even with Zootopia and Frozen, not too eager to get back to either resort. And if we would go back to China, we’d want to spend more than the 144(?) hours there and explore beyond Shanghai.

In 24 we’re gonna thoroughly tour Japan and meetup with some family in Osaka with a few Tokyo Disney days tacked on.

Right- I was able to spend 3 days in Shanghai and 2 in Beijing including a trip to the Great Wall before heading to Hong Kong. The first time I went. I wish I had more days because China is really amazing, wild and everything you didn’t expect. I don’t even remember the first two days in Shanghai after dealing with the jet lag.

mrflo

OLC has released a press statement about the opening delay & rise in construction costs. They call out a "delay in productions overseas" as one of the main reasons for the delay - which sounds to me like WDI not being able to deliver assets (e.g. tech, decor, etc.) for the new land & rides in time.

Tokyo DisneySea® Large-Scale Expansion Project The New Themed Port Fantasy Springs Changes Regarding the Opening Date and Investment Amount

URAYASU, CHIBA—Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that there will be changes regarding the opening date and investment amount for Fantasy Springs, the eighth themed port currently under development as part of the Tokyo DisneySea Park large-scale expansion project. The scheduled opening date for Fantasy Springs will be changed to spring, 2024 (the first quarter of fiscal year 2024). This is due to the extension of the project’s construction period, which was impacted by delay in productions overseas, as well as restrictions placed on logistics and border measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In addition, the investment amount is projected to be about 320 billion yen. This is due to a rising cost associated with materials and personnel, requirements for further elaboration in planning, design, and procedures, the declining value of Japanese yen, etc., in addition to the extension of the construction period mentioned. Note: In press releases dated January 30, 2020 and June 14, 2018, it was announced that the opening date and planned investment amount for the Tokyo DisneySea large-scale expansion project was fiscal year 2023 (tentative) and approximately 250 billion yen, respectively.

RandySavage

FantasySpringsDroneFootageOctober2022_4-1200x657.jpeg
FantasySpringsConstruction102422_3.jpeg

In contrast to how the non-hotel parts of the land are coming along, the horridness of that hotel design/execution is (almost) beyond words.

As every construction photo/video update has been confirming, the hotel is completely inept in terms of its application & understanding of historic Architecture (required when creating a backdrop to a Fairytale setting), top-tier placemaking & production design. It looks like something you'd find at Legoland Shenzen; something created based on a random hotel-builder's vague memory of playing with a Barbie Palace set as a kid grafted onto an average modern-excrement-hotel-style building. I wouldn't be surprised if it's by the same embarrassments-to-the-profession that brought us The Riviera (or someone related to Chiger). But instead of being out-of-sight, out-of-mind, this thing will form an unignorable backdrop to an entire land in the best themed park in the world, forever marring this great achievement.

The hotel's failure to acknowledge/represent any historic precedent for a "Fairy Tale" theme, i.e., 18-19th century European styles, in the faithful way that MiraCosta does is an observable, objective fact. Some can like what they see, but they can't deny that fact. It isn't even faithful to stylized, animated hybrid styles you'd find in films like Tangled & Frozen. And it doesn't even attempt to feign historic materials on its walls or roofs.

Obviously, the mindset and talents that brought the brilliant Mira Costa into existence are long since departed from the OLC and Walt Disney Company, but this tripe is inexcusable and indefensible. It's much worse (for its criticial site) than anything I could have feared or imagined when the project was announced. The hotel concept art was iffy from the outset, but the reality, as we are seeing it is a theme park design nightmare. This is the equivalent of the "Mediterranean" Orlando Four Seasons being built in place of the Mira Costa. How could they get something this big and expensive and important so wrong? Are there no quality gatekeepers left at WDI, OLC or TWDC? Is this on Bob Weis? It angers me that the clueless, tasteless Philistine dunces responsible for this hotel are/will be proud of this massive, uncorrectible turd they've laid.

PiratesMansion

View attachment 675294View attachment 675295

In contrast to how the non-hotel parts of the land are coming along, the horridness of that hotel design/execution is (almost) beyond words.

As every construction photo/video update has been confirming, the hotel is completely inept in terms of its application & understanding of historic Architecture (required when creating a backdrop to a Fairytale setting), top-tier placemaking & production design. It looks like something you'd find at Legoland Shenzen; something created based on a random hotel-builder's vague memory of playing with a Barbie Palace set as a kid grafted onto an average modern-excrement-hotel-style building. I wouldn't be surprised if it's by the same embarrassments-to-the-profession that brought us The Riviera (or someone related to Chiger). But instead of being out-of-sight, out-of-mind, this thing will form an unignorable backdrop to an entire land in the best themed park in the world, forever marring this great achievement.

The hotel's failure to acknowledge/represent any historic precedent for a "Fairy Tale" theme, i.e., 18-19th century European styles, in the faithful way that MiraCosta does is an observable, objective fact. Some can like what they see, but they can't deny that fact. It isn't even faithful to stylized, animated hybrid styles you'd find in films like Tangled & Frozen. And it doesn't even attempt to feign historic materials on its walls or roofs.

Obviously, the mindset and talents that brought the brilliant Mira Costa into existence are long since departed from the OLC and Walt Disney Company, but this tripe is inexcusable and indefensible. It's much worse (for its criticial site) than anything I could have feared or imagined when the project was announced. The hotel concept art was iffy from the outset, but the reality, as we are seeing it is a theme park design nightmare. This is the equivalent of the "Mediterranean" Orlando Four Seasons being built in place of the Mira Costa. How could they get something this big and expensive and important so wrong? Are there no quality gatekeepers left at WDI, OLC or TWDC? Is this on Bob Weis? It angers me that the clueless, tasteless Philistine dunces responsible for this hotel are/will be proud of this massive, uncorrectible turd they've laid.
Luxury Hotel done by the designers of Shanghai Disneyland.

I know this is supposed to be great when it's open, and there are likely supply chain issues that probably aren't their fault, but I'm so tired of waiting for this to open.

I'm sure the land will be better than what I'm about to compare it to, but I'll still go ahead and say it anyway: this land is TDR's Tron, and for many of those waiting for it to be finished, it's probably not going to be worth the wait.

lazyboy97o

Fantasy Springs Hotel is going to be a great example of why spending lots of money and doing something are not always better than doing nothing. There is almost no chance of this thing being fixed in any sort of near or medium term. It’s there. As @FerretAfros has pointed out before, Eisner cheapness still resulted in good bones that could be built upon but Iger’s spending is so mismanaged and poorly executed that they are far more damaging because they must remain due to their immense cost and size.

BrianLo

That is a pretty long delay.

Not really, I think a lot of people were confused that fiscal year 2023 meant April 01 2023 - March 31 2024.

Now Q1 2024 (April 1 - June 30). Can't really blame them for bumping 3 months from their pre-pandemic guidance. I'm frankly surprised they didn't stop construction and push it way further back like some Orlando projects did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom