Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

brb1006

Yes, the current Dreamlights train float is the only one still around from the parade's debut in 2001.

All others have been replaced or updated.
Not to mention, the original Dreamlights train float is also one of the last place guests you can still hear Yuko Mizutani (previous Japanese voice of Minnie until her passing in 2016) and Takashi Aoyagi (who retired the role of Mickey Mouse in 2018).

Last edited:

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
Not to mention, the original Dreamlights train float is also the last place guests you can still hear Yuko Mizutani (previous Japanese voice of Minnie until her passing in 2016) and Takashi Aoyagi (who retired the role of Mickey Mouse in 2018).
Not necessarily, you can still hear them both in Mickey's PhilharMagic and Disney Christmas Stories (provided that actually comes back). Aoyagi is also still in Usatama on the Run and Let's Party Gras (if that comes back).

Personally, I still like him far more than Takanori Hoshino, they made a huge mistake not casting someone with a similar voice to Aoyagi because people noticed and plenty still don't think Mickey sounds right. The change between Yuko Mizutani and Aya Endo was far more seamless.

brb1006

Not necessarily, you can still hear them both in Mickey's PhilharMagic and Disney Christmas Stories (provided that actually comes back). Aoyagi is also still in Usatama on the Run and Let's Party Gras (if that comes back).

Personally, I still like him far more than Takanori Hoshino, they made a huge mistake not casting someone with a similar voice to Aoyagi because people noticed and plenty still don't think Mickey sounds right. The change between Yuko Mizutani and Aya Endo was far more seamless.
That's a fascinating comment, reminds me of how Mickey's current VA (Bret Iwan) took a while to get used to during the first half of the 2010s decade. I wonder which Tokyo attraction or show where Aya Endo's performance as Minnie was first heard.

Also correct me if I'm wrong since I'm note as familiar with Official Japanese voice actors of Disney Characters. But I vividly remember Sukekiyo Kameyama (current voice of Winnie the Pooh) suddenly replacing Shun Yashiro sometime between 2006 or 2007 for Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade Dreamlights. But eventually became the new vice of Pooh in 2014.

Original version

With Sukekiyo Kameyama

Since Shun Yashiro's performance as Pooh was heard during the first couple of years of the parade (and still heard at Pooh's Hunny Hunt).

Also who voiced The Mad Hatter, alongside Marie, Toulouse, and Berlioz for the Happiness is Here Parade?

I'm aware Marie's Japanese voice would alternate between shows or parade due to being voice by actual child. But occasionally grown women might had been brought in. However, the Hatter's voice is notably different in the Dreaming Up Parade (which Takanori Hoshino's performance as Mickey was first heard in late 2018/early 2019).

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
All Asian parks have exclusivity clauses in their attractions and shows, and have for decades.
I’m aware, but it seems likely OLC has more stringent terms for their exclusivity compared to, say, Shanghai, as we’ve seen with their headliner TRON already being cloned in Florida versus the extreme unlikelihood we’ll see a clone of Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast anytime soon, if ever.

lazyboy97o

I’m aware, but it seems likely OLC has more stringent terms for their exclusivity compared to, say, Shanghai, as we’ve seen with their headliner TRON already being cloned in Florida versus the extreme unlikelihood we’ll see a clone of Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast anytime soon, if ever.
There is no blanket or uniform exclusivity for the Asian parks. It’s something paid for on an attraction by attraction basis. TRON in particular was originally supposed to be a co-financed project between Shanghai Disneyland and Magic Kingdom like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, it never had exclusivity.

Toni25

There is no blanket or uniform exclusivity for the Asian parks. It’s something paid for on an attraction by attraction basis. TRON in particular was originally supposed to be a co-financed project between Shanghai Disneyland and Magic Kingdom like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, it never had exclusivity.
Maybe not for ALL Asian Parks, but what about Tokyo in particular?

tanc

Disney doesn't want to spend the money for some of the attractions originally in Tokyo I guess. They have a special relationship with Tokyo in that money is not an object for them, they have creative freedom they can't do elsewhere.

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
Maybe not for ALL Asian Parks, but what about Tokyo in particular?
This is exactly what I mean. SHDL and HKDL are a different case because they’re still at least part-owned and fully operated by Disney, and really AFAIK the government owners don’t play a massive role in decision making anyway. OLC is completely independent, has their own coffers, and is well aware that Disney would gladly piggyback off their R&D and attraction designs if allowed to because it would save them a boatload of money.

I can say with 100% confidence that the MO at OLC going forward is to lean into being the different resort, which means having different attractions and lands. So they likely have instituted significantly longer exclusivity windows, to the point that by the time Disney is allowed to clone a land or attraction, there would be no point because better technology and/or properties will be around.

Toni25

This is exactly what I mean. SHDL and HKDL are a different case because they’re still at least part-owned and fully operated by Disney, and really AFAIK the government owners don’t play a massive role in decision making anyway. OLC is completely independent, has their own coffers, and is well aware that Disney would gladly piggyback off their R&D and attraction designs if allowed to because it would save them a boatload of money.

I can say with 100% confidence that the MO at OLC going forward is to lean into being the different resort, which means having different attractions and lands. So they likely have instituted significantly longer exclusivity windows, to the point that by the time Disney is allowed to clone a land or attraction, there would be no point because better technology and/or properties will be around.

Kind of ironic because they don't even focus on new IPs that much.
They opened Beauty & the Beast; Next up: Peter Pan; Space Mountain rebuild;
+a Frozen Land that all other parks got (but of course, a different ride type than the other cloned boat rides).
With that being said, I hope Paris gets Beauty and the Beast ride after that "exclusivity" deal expires 😭 it's one of the most quintessentially French Disney productions.

PS:
I always felt like with Disney building rides based on new IPs all the time doesn't feel nostalgic or romantic anymore, it's kind of...douchey? Obnoxious, flashy, vulgar.
Like new money vs old money.
A tuned neon yellow Lamborghini Huracan vs 70s Rolls Royce Phantom.
Nostalgia sells...and it's a beautiful feeling, why not focus on that? I hope OLC will influence WDC to change their perspective in the future.

Last edited:

Soleurs

In the Parks
Yes
Kind of ironic because they don't even focus on new IPs that much.
They opened Beauty & the Beast; Next up: Peter Pan; Space Mountain rebuild;
+a Frozen Land that all other parks got (but of course, a different ride type than the other cloned boat rides).
With that being said, I hope Paris gets Beauty and the Beast ride after that "exclusivity" deal expires 😭 it's one of the most quintessentially French Disney productions.

PS:
I always felt like with Disney building rides based on new IPs all the time doesn't feel nostalgic or romantic anymore, it's kind of...douchey? Obnoxious, flashy, vulgar.
Like new money vs old money.
A tuned neon yellow Lamborghini Huracan vs 70s Rolls Royce Phantom.
Nostalgia sells...and it's a beautiful feeling, why not focus on that? I hope OLC will influence WDC to change their perspective in the future.
OLC is pretty conservative with how they spend their money, not out of character for a big Japanese company. In their specific case, OLC wants to ensure that whatever they spend significant sums on (i.e. attractions) will have long-term staying power, and that means choosing properties that already have that quality, or creating something original that's equally able to captivate guests for decades (see Chandu).

I think that's a big part of why they aren't on board with PatF, that IP has virtually no significance in Japan, ask anyone who isn't a Disney nerd about who Tiana is and you'll get a big shrug. She never had a presence here in any respect, and it's just not a proven IP for Japan. Couple that with how high guest satisfaction is for Splash Mountain (one of the highest at the resort as I recall) and the fact an entire land is built around the ride, there'll have to be something REAL big to be worth replacing Splash Mountain and Critter Country for.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom