Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm assuming, based on the available space, the square footages listed early in this thread are total floor area (including 2nd stories), not building footprint. So the footprint of multi-level Frozen ride may not be as large as the one-level Beauty & Beast ride?

From what I gather, this "Enchanted Springs" addition ranks as the most expensive, most filled-out, and largest expansion land ever added to a Disney or Universal park - outranking peers such as Galaxy's Edge, Carsland, Pandora, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, etc.

The Beauty and the Beast show building is supposedly two stories as well. Here are the statistics for all the new attractions coming to TDR in the near future.

more info from "Kensetsunews"
https://www.kensetsunews.com/web-kan/213920

Gross floor area
*82,129 sq.ft : Motion-base Ride (2 stories) (Peter Pan)
**5,812 sq.ft : Trackless Ride (Pixie Hollow)

**1,615 sq.ft : Pirates Ship
**1,076 sq.ft : Rockworks Building
*18,837 sq.ft : Restaurant A
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse A (backstage)

*38,965 sq.ft : Boat Ride A (2 stories) (Tangled)
****161 sq.ft : Boat Ride Entry Building
*49,945 sq.ft : Restaurant B & Restaurant C (2 stories)

*95,906 sq.ft : Boat Ride B (2 stories) (Frozen)
**1,076 sq.ft : Shop
**3,014 sq.ft : Area Restroom
****538 sq.ft : Ice & Drink Cart
****215 sq.ft : Popcorn Cart
****215 sq.ft : Merchandise Cart
****323 sq.ft : Vending Machine
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse B (backstage)

771,772 sq.ft : Hotel (9 stories)
****215 sq.ft : Hotel Security Booth
****484 sq.ft : Gazebo

*36,382 sq.ft : CEP Building (backstage)
**2,368 sq.ft : Power Branch(power generation) (backstage)

81,935 sq.ft : Beauty and the Beast Ride (2 stories)

RandySavage

^Thanks for reposting that.

I just tried this area calculator and it showed the footprint of Beauty & Beast ride under construction to be similar to the listed figure (81,935), so maybe the do refer to footprints: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Rough footprint of the TDL Hotel buildings, including convention & parking garage is about 350,000sq ft.

I guess time will tell...

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

^Thanks for reposting that.

I just tried this area calculator and it showed the footprint of Beauty & Beast ride under construction to be similar to the listed figure (81,935), so maybe the do refer to footprints: https://www.mapdevelopers.com/area_finder.php

Rough footprint of the TDL Hotel buildings, including convention & parking garage is about 350,000sq ft.

I guess time will tell...

The footprint for the new hotel does sound suspiciously big compared to the others considering its room count and number of floors. The MiraCosta, which has a similar number of rooms, is approximately 430,000 square feet including nearby facilities. The total expansion pad for this new port is about 1,500,000 square feet including backstage, so that would be half just for the hotel alone if true.

Timothy_Q

The Fantasy Springs expansion at TDS will be the first add-on land built by Disney with 4 rides
(Ticket levels just personal opinion)

Fantasy Springs - 4 (2E, 1D, 1C)
Zootopia - 1 (1E)
Arandelle HKD - 2 (2D)
Galaxy's Edge - 2 (2E)
Toy Story Land DHS - 2 (1C, 1B)
Pandora - 2 (1E, 1D)
Cars Land - 3 (1E, 2B)
New Fantasyland - 2 (2D)
Toy Story Lands - 3 (3B)
Mystic Point - 1 (1E)
Grizzly Gulch - 1 (1E)
Toontown - 2 (1E, 1C)

Last edited:

jrhwdw

Change of Topics, New heads are coming to Tokyo Parks On march 27 or on April 01
, 2019.
Here's thge proof!:

I don't believe it! I was hoping TDR would avoid these like they never got the talking heads .Must the new heads be at every resort?! I knew TDS's Easter Concept Art this year was trobule!(new heads wise)

mickeyfan5534

Here's thge proof!:

I don't believe it! I was hoping TDR would avoid these like they never got the talking heads .Must the new heads be at every resort?! I knew TDS's Easter Concept Art this year was trobule!(new heads wise)
Why is this bad? The new heads are a lot more expressive and natural than the last ones and they are a lot less uncanny valley

cheezbat

Here's thge proof!:

As much as I loved the old heads, it would be weird to visit every Disney resort and see the new heads, but then get to Tokyo only to see the old ones. They may not be a Disney owned resort, but that shouldnt matter..consistency in character design is important.

BrianLo

Makes sense-I'd assume their relative complacency has caused them to lose market share, which has been Universal's gain. Probably time to strike back against HP and the other Uni additions.

Disclaimer that I'm not super-versed in the Japanese theme park market, but everything I've heard has made it sound like USJ has been doing gangbuster business over the past decade and TDR has mostly maintained attendance. If you go by the "official" numbers, USJ beat DisneySea last year.

USJ and Tokyo Disney are in pretty distant geographical markets. ~350 miles. The attendance overlap between them is actually pretty negligible.

Not to say they don't pay attention to one another, but they are more distant cousins than direct competitors. Versus something like Orlando.

That's sort of why Universal Beijing kind of doesn't matter to Disney either.

ThemeParkTraveller

USJ and Tokyo Disney are in pretty distant geographical markets. ~350 miles. The attendance overlap between them is actually pretty negligible.

Not to say they don't pay attention to one another, but they are more distant cousins than direct competitors. Versus something like Orlando.

That's sort of why Universal Beijing kind of doesn't matter to Disney either.

Correct. According to OLC's attendance breakdown, the Kansai region typically only makes up around 6-7% of total guests. The Kanto region averages around 65% of total guests in comparison.

PiratesMansion

Correct. According to OLC's attendance breakdown, the Kansai region typically only makes up around 6-7% of total guests. The Kanto region averages around 65% of total guests in comparison.

While that's certainly true, I'd be interested to see how TDR's attendance by region has fluctuated since Harry Potter opened. I'd hazard that not all of Universal's growth is just within the Kansai region.

ThemeParkTraveller

While that's certainly true, I'd be interested to see how TDR's attendance by region has fluctuated since Harry Potter opened. I'd hazard that not all of Universal's growth is just within the Kansai region.

The Kanto share is down very slightly, but the biggest change appears to be the number of international guests doubling since 2014.

eddie104

The Fantasy Springs expansion at TDS will be the first add-on land built by Disney with 4 rides
(Ticket levels just personal opinion)

Fantasy Springs - 4 (2E, 1D, 1C)
Zootopia - 1 (1E)
Arandelle HKD - 2 (2D)
Galaxy's Edge - 2 (2E)
Toy Story Land DHS - 2 (1C, 1B)
Pandora - 2 (1E, 1D)
Cars Land - 3 (1E, 2B)
New Fantasyland - 2 (2D)
Toy Story Lands - 3 (3B)
Mystic Point - 1 (1E)
Grizzly Gulch - 1 (1E)
Toontown - 2 (1E, 1C)
I'm guessing the FS addition is so big and fleshed out is because that is only major expansion pad left in TDS or am I wrong ?

ThemeParkTraveller

I'm guessing the FS addition is so big and fleshed out is because that is only major expansion pad left in TDS or am I wrong ?

It is by far the largest expansion pad left, but there is another large one beside Indiana Jones. This is where the new port was originally going to be located before OLC decided to scale up the plans.

Old Plans

tokyo_disney_expansion_original.png

New Plans

Tokyo-DisneySea-expansion-plans-map-aerial-view-a2.jpg

eddie104

It is by far the largest expansion pad left, but there is another large one beside Indiana Jones. This is where the new port was originally going to be located before OLC decided to scale up the plans.

Old Plans

tokyo_disney_expansion_original.png

New Plans

Tokyo-DisneySea-expansion-plans-map-aerial-view-a2.jpg
Okay they definitely had a huge budget for this project and I'm happy for you guys to be getting some new rides. Which ones are you most excited about ?

ThemeParkTraveller

Okay they definitely had a huge budget for this project and I'm happy for you guys to be getting some new rides. Which ones are you most excited about ?

Peter Pan is the most intriguing to me because we still have no idea what kind of tech it will be using (only that it will be motion-based). The show building is huge, so it is unlikely to be primarily screens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom