Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, right?

Looking at its location relative to Haunted Mansion, I'd say that's probably Grandma Sara's Kitchen.

tokyo-disneyland-haunted-mansion-20170219297.jpg

Channy

Land behind of showbase (ex Bus terminal anex) is now cleared completely for redevelopment.
After the forest theater opens in 2020, pretty sure showbase will be closing.
This land is probably planed to be used for Tomorrowland expansion ?!

Attachments

• 7BA62C25-AB24-4A29-9BCD-EFC2AA33790F.jpeg
    7BA62C25-AB24-4A29-9BCD-EFC2AA33790F.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 210
  • CC13A14C-D52F-45A1-AC45-B6BBC30B741E.jpeg
    CC13A14C-D52F-45A1-AC45-B6BBC30B741E.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 204

Robbiem

Land behind of showbase (ex Bus terminal anex) is now cleared completely for redevelopment.

I thought the same thing about the showbase. I wonder how tomorrowland would expand? Perhaps being near star tours we might get a star wars land it would be interesting to see what WDI could do with this on a Tokyo budget. Alternatively if its a more ‘disney’ expansion (or if disney are keeping star wars for their own asian parks sometime down the line) I wouldn’t be suprized if we had something with wall e.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Original Poster
As much as I’d like to see something original, realistically whatever they build will be based on a movie. And while there is probably room to squeeze the two Galaxy’s Edge E Tickets in there if Star Tours is removed, it wouldn’t include any of the village and it’s unlike OLC to build a lesser version of something stateside.

I don’t know how Marvel works for TDR... is Guardians of the Galaxy fair game?

My bet is an original Wreck it Ralph E Ticket. OLC doesn’t seem very interested in the live action movies. It fits the aesthetics of their Tomorrowland and it would be a response to Super Mario World at USJ.

ThemeParkTraveller

I don’t know how Marvel works for TDR... is Guardians of the Galaxy fair game?

I think they can use any character not at USJ. So basically, just not Spider-Man (which is the most popular Marvel character in Japan). Marvel is a pretty small/niche brand in Japan (their films outside Spider-Man/Avengers usually bomb), so I don't think we will ever see a Marvel expansion at TDR. I agree that something based on a Star Wars, Pixar, or WDAS IP is far more likely.

BrianLo

While I do think Tokyo will expand that way (and are actively planning on it), I'd be a tad surprised if this was already underway without us having heard.

However it's not a huge amount of space, I always pictured them really going to town with that parking lot... but I don't think OLC is interested in Galaxies Edge.

What is outlined basically provides a nice cutout to tack on an E-ticket without much other fanfare to the land. Tokyo Disney Seas' expansion is so ginormous and all encompassing perhaps they did want to sneak in a 2022 Tokyo Disneyland attraction as counter programming (sort of the Soaring to the the current Beauty and the Beast situation).

But usually OLC is pretty forthcoming and doesn't start something without announcing it.

BrianLo

Speaking of Tomorrowland franchise possibilities... OLC has previously turned down all previous suggestions from WDI (they have been up-sold on Pandora, Carsland and Galaxies Edge over the years). In fact they pretty much are no longer taking anything not designed for them.

It's a bit of a pity Big Hero 6 is being possibly spent on the spinner. That seems like it would be a good fit (it did double the box office of Tangled, which is getting a far more substantial addition). I still have a dream of a Wall E attraction.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise doesn't seem to hold up financially in Japan to justify. Big Hero Six doubled the performance of most other MCU movies on a cursory glance. Star Wars again I don't think they are interested in beyond what they have. Wall E performed well if Tangled is the benchmark. Wreck is Ralph I don't think makes the cut.

Otherwise I don't know what else it would be, I highly doubt OLC would accept a Tron clone.

Animaniac93-98

Speaking of Tomorrowland franchise possibilities... OLC has previously turned down all previous suggestions from WDI (they have been up-sold on Pandora, Carsland and Galaxies Edge over the years). In fact they pretty much are no longer taking anything not designed for them.

It's a bit of a pity Big Hero 6 is being possibly spent on the spinner. That seems like it would be a good fit (it did double the box office of Tangled, which is getting a far more substantial addition). I still have a dream of a Wall E attraction.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise doesn't seem to hold up financially in Japan to justify. Big Hero Six doubled the performance of most other MCU movies on a cursory glance. Star Wars again I don't think they are interested in beyond what they have. Wall E performed well if Tangled is the benchmark. Wreck is Ralph I don't think makes the cut.

Otherwise I don't know what else it would be, I highly doubt OLC would accept a Tron clone.

An actual ride for Stitch, maybe? After so many years of Live!, Escape and Christmas shows, that would be nice.

I do also wish more were done with BH6. I still want a made-for-theatres sequel.

RandySavage

^If you scroll down a number of posts on that linked twitter feed you can see an elevated shot of the back from a hotel. Can't remember where the pic was from, but I've seen a ground shot from Triton's Kingdom exit looking across toward the Ariel M&G, behind which Soarin massively looms.

Also an update on a lesser known project... the new TDL entry plaza (source: https://twitter.com/OneYaoyaFamily):
DxFRAiEUwAAvVLa.jpg large.jpg

Japanese twitter accounts post updates all these projects quite regularly:
Dwwo5-VVYAAKgJ_.jpg large.jpg

Last edited:

BrianLo

This video from last September captures what the backside of Soarin' looks like from within Mermaid Lagoon. I'm not sure if it's visible from anywhere else in the park, but it doesn't look like too big an eyesore here. Some taller trees would work wonders at blocking it.

I kind of figured it would be painted go away blue, so really this is a pretty good compromise.

I think that whole corner is bound to change themes at some point anyways, the facility beside Arabian coast is slated as an expansion pad now and I can't imagine it would be utilized for more Mermaid.

SweetDuffy101

I kind of figured it would be painted go away blue, so really this is a pretty good compromise.

I think that whole corner is bound to change themes at some point anyways, the facility beside Arabian coast is slated as an expansion pad now and I can't imagine it would be utilized for more Mermaid.
It is impossible its the CEP(central energy plant)in that location Its one of the parks waterway filtration facilities.

Last edited:

BrianLo

It is impossible its the CEP(central energy plant)in that location Its one of the parks waterway filtration facilities.

We had thought they were moving it as part of the expansion. Highlighted from this users post below...

Unless they need another one, I realize now it was more user speculation than hard fact it would be going away.

more info from "Kensetsunews"
https://www.kensetsunews.com/web-kan/213920

Gross floor area
*82,129 sq.ft : Motion-base Ride (2 stories)
**5,812 sq.ft : Trackless Ride
**1,615 sq.ft : Pirates Ship
**1,076 sq.ft : Rockworks Building
*18,837 sq.ft : Restaurant A
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse A (backstage)

*38,965 sq.ft : Boat Ride A (2 stories)
****161 sq.ft : Boat Ride Entry Building
*49,945 sq.ft : Restaurant B & Restaurant C (2 stories)

*95,906 sq.ft : Boat Ride B (2 stories)
**1,076 sq.ft : Shop
**3,014 sq.ft : Area Restroom
****538 sq.ft : Ice & Drink Cart
****215 sq.ft : Popcorn Cart
****215 sq.ft : Merchandise Cart
****323 sq.ft : Vending Machine
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse B (backstage)

771,772 sq.ft : Hotel (9 stories)
****215 sq.ft : Hotel Security Booth
****484 sq.ft : Gazebo

*36,382 sq.ft : CEP Building (backstage)
**2,368 sq.ft : Power Branch(power generation) (backstage)

ThemeParkTraveller

Soaring: Fantastic Flight's official opening date now confirmed to be July 23. OLC also just released some new concept pictures of the queue. Looks amazing!

https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/bl...ebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=pr190118

25b2916b5c49db617f52fa5ea48efee7-55.jpg

25b2916b5c49db617f52fa5ea48efee7-52.jpg

25b2916b5c49db617f52fa5ea48efee7-51.jpg

There's also a dedicated page for the attraction with the backstory and such. The building appears to be a museum dedicated to the research of flight, with a special exhibition featuring a fictional inventor named Camellia Falco.

https://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/treasure/soaring/

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom