Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

Peter Pano

While I admit being a bit torn regarding the idea of a „magical springs“ port, I like that the area is rather secluded from the main park and I think the new hotel thankfully will only be seen from within the new area.

What I honestly do not get is why OLC isn‘t all over a Moana inspired Polynesian area. It‘s the one IP that screams to be included in DisneySea yet seems to have been overlooked so far. It would check all the boxes: thematic homerun (exploration, seas, relation of culture & nature), appropriate IP together with strong visuals. I really hope it will be put in the last (easily available) expansion slot next to Lost River Delta, to which the connection could be done quite seamlessly.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

While I admit being a bit torn regarding the idea of a „magical springs“ port, I like that the area is rather secluded from the main park and I think the new hotel thankfully will only be seen from within the new area.

What I honestly do not get is why OLC isn‘t all over a Moana inspired Polynesian area. It‘s the one IP that screams to be included in DisneySea yet seems to have been overlooked so far. It would check all the boxes: thematic homerun (exploration, seas, relation of culture & nature), apropriate IP together with strong visuals. I really hope it will be put in the last (easily available) expansion slot next to Lost River Delta, to which the connection could be done quite seamless.

I agree that Moana is a perfect thematic fit for TDS, not to mention Polynesian culture is very popular in Japan too. I'm guessing OLC thought it might be redundant to have two volcano-themed areas. According to the official TDS press release, Mysterious Island also takes place in the South Pacific.

On an uncharted island somewhere in the South Pacific, Mysterious Island rises up from the ocean depths. In the shadow of a giant volcano, the enigmatic genius Captain Nemo has established this desolate site as his secret base of operations. It is here that he is engaged in experiments and research intent upon unlocking the secrets of the oceans and uncovering the hidden forces of nature deep beneath the earth's surface.

Peter Pano

I agree that Moana is a perfect thematic fit for TDS, not to mention Polynesian culture is very popular in Japan too. I'm guessing OLC thought it might be redundant to have two volcano-themed areas. According to the official TDS press release, Mysterious Island also takes place in the South Pacific.

True, in that way it could be considered redundant. It probably wouldn‘t be a good idea to build another vulcano, instead Mt. Prometheus would have to do as a backdrop. Anyway, the Polynesian/Moana theme is just too good a fit, and visually different enough from Mysterious Island or any other port, to let these concerns hinder its inclusion. Surely the OLC must see that, too? ;)

Last edited:

Robbiem

I think a Polynesia area would be a great addition, a volcano attraction could be a bit of a double up of mysterious island but you could do a great splash mountain style water ride like the once planned version of pirates in HK which is something Disneysea is missing. Add a coupe of family friendly C/d rides, move the luau or even the tiki room from Adventureland (freeing up space for a new ride in Tokyo Disneyland) or add a new theatre with a luau show and put in a quick service restaurant service Polynesian food and you’d have a nice area

BrianLo

@WDW1974 once described the then massive expanse of land that would become Star Wars Land and the new Rivers of America as a "tumor" growing on the back of the park. There can be no more succinct description of this new "port."

But before I talk about my feelings about this project, I want to talk about Tokyo Disney Sea...

By the early 1990s EPCOT Center had launched and been built out to its fullest. It was a success and paved the way for thousands of hotel rooms, new gated attractions, and putting Orlando on the map.

But it wasn't perfect.

In its development, it radically departed from its predecessors Disneyland and Magic Kingdom. It was a complete rethink of what a theme park could be. Like any radical rethink of an existing entity or product, sometimes there will be misses. But for the most part, EPCOT Center was a triumph. But Imagineering wasn't finished yet. Many of the younger stars of the EPCOT Center project were wanting their own shot at new parks. Ultimately, 4 radical new parks were proposed. Disney's Wild Animal Kingdom, Disney Sea, Disney's America, and Westcot. These parks were going to be the merging of the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT Center concepts. Taking the edutainment ideas and blending them with much more immersive environments and stories. Instead of a pavilion celebrating a country, they would simply take you straight into the country. It would be more about feelings and story, and little less about straight science and history, but they would still carry the purposeful education mission at their cores.

Only one of those parks made it out of the development inferno; the newly renamed Disney's Animal Kingdom opened in 1998 (though that park would suffer for nearly 20 years because of the chronic lack of investment at its beginning). Luckily something magical happened. The Oriental Land Company decided to trade in their lackluster "Studio Park," for a more ambitious concept. Off they went with Tokyo Disney Sea. An undisputed hit from day one, it carried the same educational boldness as EPCOT Center with more of a story conscious Magic Kingdom style delivery to major success. Up until a few years ago, things had been smooth sailing (hah), but recently it has become apparent that expansion is necessary. Tokyo Disney SEA was built with Expansion in mind. With two ride spots in the New York section of the park (one for Tower of Terror and another for a dark ride taking you into a high speed chase between gangsters and the police [think Mr Toad's Wild Ride Sans the the Toad]), a plot between Lost River Delta (which would become Raging Spirits and Jasmine's Flying Carpets), a spot in Mediterranean Harbor (Soarin'- Coming Soon!), and a spot for a whole new Port between Port Discovery and Lost River Delta (Scandinavia!).

But now with many of the Expansion Pads already utilized, Disney is pushing outward:

View attachment 293150

Behold the "tumor!"

Tokyo Disney Sea has core themes. Themes are not decorations. For example, you cannot theme a place to Toy Story. You cannot theme something to the jungle. You cannot theme a land to Tangled, Frozen, and Peter Pan. Themes are the core messages that an artistic expression is trying to convey. A theme of Toy Story the movie is the power of friendship. The toys are not a theme, but instead a story device to get the theme across to the audience. A theme of the Jurassic Movie Franchise (hahahahaha) is nature's ability to overcome hurdles and overpower the plans of man. Isla Nublar is not a theme, but a setting. A place where the characters have a chance to communicate that theme to the audience.

Themes of Tokyo Disney Sea are not New York, Italy, Mysterious Island, or Arabian Coast. Here's a few:

1) Man's Curiosity and Drive to Explore the Seas- Fortress Explorations, Submarines, Sinbad, and the Little Mermaid areas capture this theme.

2) The Seas connect people for good and for bad- The beautiful transition from Mediterranean Harbor to American Waterfront encapsulates this perfectly. You can feel the DNA of Italy seeping into the City, and see the natural progression of things. One of my favorite details is a billboard for Zamboni Brother's Products in America, a nod to the restaurant just a short distance away. This underscores the fact that they likely immigrated to America and have started a new life! What a small but genius detail. Once again Sinbad reminds us of this truth. Oh, and let us not forget Tower of Terror and Indiana Jones's conflicts. In each case American Explorers seek out objects of great importance to native cultures, and in turn are punished. Sometimes it might be best to leave things be!

3) The Seas are a way of life and development for many cultures- American Waterfront, Mediterranean Harbor, Arabian Coast.

4) Man's attempts to explore and tame nature will almost always end up poorly...- Journey to the Center of the Earth, Submarines, Storm Rider

5) Talking Toys... That travesty.

We'll stick with the first four. Those themes are powerful and educational. They empower the guest to think and learn. They also opened the door for some of the most unique and exciting attractions ever to exist.

But this Port isn't about any of those themes. Instead we have a magical spring popping up out of the ground and causing a whole bunch of random Disney Franchises to come into existence (you can learn more about this magical story in the ground floor gift shop of the Hotel!). Let's get this out of the way. The story is terrible. They should have owned the fact they were doing this, instead of trying to make some convoluted backstory. Very ham handed of them, and it frankly just sounds stupid. It also doesn't match any of the themes of the park. The closest might be the Peter Pan Attraction and land. It also doesn't match the more serious and educational tone of the park. More than powerful themes, painstaking recreations of actual places in the past were brought to the park so guests could really know what it was like to go to a Spanish Fortress. Really learn about New York life. Go to Italy. Etc. It might sound idealistic, but that's what the park creators were doing! This is the next EPCOT Center, and 20 years later OLC is watering it down. What a shame.

Can we also talk about this Hotel...
View attachment 293166

Welcome to Las Vegas! Or perhaps more suitably Macao. Everyone who though Coronado Springs was bad... Ha, that's nothing. Welcome to the ugly hotel that doesn't tell any story next to one of the best executed theme parks in the world. It's a horror. This is the same park with MiraCosta for crying out loud! The visual intrusion into the various parts of the lands will cheapen the experience of the average park goer. It's unfair to the 99% of guests not staying inside the hotel. Also, did I mention it's UGLY?

Now it's not all bad. I'm sure the lands will be well executed and the rides amazing. OLC knows what DISNEY is (hint, it ain't Star Wars and Marvel or any flashy acquisition Bob is looking at next). They happened to pick three of my favorite Disney Animated Movies (I know I know, Frozen is over rated blah blah blah). Seeing a land without budget compromises is going to be awesome!

But imagine what the Imagineers could have done without the constraints of existing franchises. Imagine the Sinbads, Journey to the Center of the Earths, and Tower of Terrors we just lost for movie recap rides. What a terrible shame. This park is crumbling.

I'm looking forward to visiting, but I wish this didn't have to be soulless and themeless. Also, I'm not staying at that hotel anytime soon...

I strongly reward you (and a few others) for being consistent in your convictions. This project doesn't drive me crazy. What drives me crazy is people talking about Star Wars being the tumour of Disneyland and then speaking in accolades about a smattering of animated Fantasyland tacked onto Disney Sea. If people really believe in thematic consistency above all else then believe in it fully like you, @lazyboy97o and @the.dreamfinder have been consistent with.

Now my only small quip... you are really confounding Disney Sea's beautiful place making as edutainment. That's not edutainment, it's real world placemaking.

Frankly most castle parks offer more true 'edutainment' with their Lincoln/Hall of Presidents type attractions than I can name at Disney Sea. The Studio parks definitely offered edutainment with the backlot/behind the scenes aspects. Animal Kingdom offers edutainment... Even DCA has more edutainment than TDS...

Do you really learn anything about Italy, New York or a Spanish Fort? Or do you vaguely feel like you visited a fantastical location inspired by them?

rabbit111

"The Daily Engineering & Construction News" announced building plans for the TDS new area!

Site area : 137,907sqm (34 acre)
Building area : 49,750sqm (12.29 acre)
Total Floor area : 103,240sqm (25.51 acre)
Tallest building : 38m (125 feet) (9 stories) Hotel?
Total : 23 buildings

Opening : March 2023(End of the financial year 2022)

https://www.decn.co.jp/?p=101004

Last edited:

Disneylover152

"The Daily Engineering & Construction News" announced building plans for the TDS new area!

Site area : 137,907sqm (34 acre)
Building area : 49,750sqm (12.29 acre)
Total Floor area : 103,240sqm (25.51 acre)
Tallest building : 38m (9 stories) Hotel?
Total : 23 buildings

Opening : March 2023(End of the financial year 2022)

https://www.decn.co.jp/?p=101004

I know where I'll be in 2023. Both Hong Kong and Tokyo's expansions will be complete!

ThemeParkTraveller

The tallest building is likely the mountain show building housing Elsa's ice palace. For comparison, TDL's Beauty and the Beast castle will be 30 meters tall when completed. The TDL Hotel is about 30 meters tall too, but I don't think this new hotel will be as massive with only 475 rooms to TDL Hotel's 705 rooms. The new hotel's structure should be more similar to the MiraCosta (502 rooms) in size.

Am I reading that correctly that 34 acres is the total area of the new port including all backstage structures, and 25.5 acres is the total guest accessible area (including the hotel)?

Last edited:

rabbit111

The tallest building is likely the mountain show building housing Elsa's ice palace. For comparison, TDL's Beauty and the Beast castle will be 30 meters tall when completed. The TDL Hotel is about 30 meters tall too, but I don't think this new hotel will be as massive with only 475 rooms to TDL Hotel's 705 rooms. The new hotel's structure should be more similar to the MiraCosta (502 rooms) in size.

Am I reading that correctly that 34 acres is the total area of the new port including all backstage structures, and 25.5 acres is the total guest accessible area (including the hotel)?

I read that is the total area including the backstage & hotel.

Timothy_Q

This sounds huge, even by Tokyo's standards.

This is what 34 acres look like

TDS expansion 1.jpg

by comparison, other lands at TDR:

New BatB area - 7 acres
Fantasyland (original + Batb area + Castle) - 20 acres
American Waterfront (without Cape Cod) - 15 acres
Arabian Coast - 11 acres

I'll be curious to hear more details about their plans for this area.
Sounds like they're going all out

ThemeParkTraveller

by comparison, other lands at TDR:

New BatB area - 7 acres
Fantasyland (original + Batb area + Castle) - 20 acres
American Waterfront (without Cape Cod) - 15 acres
Arabian Coast - 11 acres

I'll be curious to hear more details about their plans for this area.
Sounds like they're going all out

That does seem like a massive amount of space even factoring in the new hotel. Given the jaw-dropping budget, I really hope it blows away everything Disney has done to date (including SWL).

And is the new BatB area at TDL really only 7 acres? The news articles I've read say 11.6 acres for the entire area, which would be around the same size as Pandora or Cars Land.

P.S. Do you have a size estimate for the expansion pad between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery (the one originally designated for the new port)?

Timothy_Q

And is the new BatB area at TDL really only 7 acres? The news articles I've read say 11.6 acres for the entire area, which would be around the same size as Pandora or Cars Land.

P.S. Do you have a size estimate for the expansion pad between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery (the one originally designated for the new port)?
11.6 acres is the entire area being worked on.
Batb, BH6, Minnie M&G, and the parking lot area that was adjusted.

The original Frozen expansion pad is 6 acres.
If they did some minimal rerouting of the monorail it could be 8 acres

ThemeParkTraveller

11.6 acres is the entire area being worked on.
Batb, BH6, Minnie M&G, and the parking lot area that was adjusted.

The original Frozen expansion pad is 6 acres.
If they did some minimal rerouting of the monorail it could be 8 acres

Thanks. Regarding the adjusted parking lot area behind the BatB show building, I read that it is being used to house facilities for the construction crew currently. I wonder if it will become repurposed as a permanent backstage area or as a new berm to replace the one lost during the expansion. I noticed in your outline above you have included it as part of the new TDS expansion area.

Timothy_Q

Thanks. Regarding the adjusted parking lot area behind the BatB show building, I read that it is being used to house facilities for the construction crew currently. I wonder if it will become repurposed as a permanent backstage area or as a new berm to replace the one lost during the expansion. I noticed in your outline above you have included it as part of the new TDS expansion area.
Yeah I'm not sure what will happen with that area either.
It'd make sense to use it for TDS, but we'll see

rabbit111

more info from "Kensetsunews"
https://www.kensetsunews.com/web-kan/213920

Gross floor area
*82,129 sq.ft : Motion-base Ride (2 stories)
**5,812 sq.ft : Trackless Ride

**1,615 sq.ft : Pirates Ship
**1,076 sq.ft : Rockworks Building
*18,837 sq.ft : Restaurant A
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse A (backstage)

*38,965 sq.ft : Boat Ride A (2 stories)
****161 sq.ft : Boat Ride Entry Building
*49,945 sq.ft : Restaurant B & Restaurant C (2 stories)

*95,906 sq.ft : Boat Ride B (2 stories)
**1,076 sq.ft : Shop
**3,014 sq.ft : Area Restroom
****538 sq.ft : Ice & Drink Cart
****215 sq.ft : Popcorn Cart
****215 sq.ft : Merchandise Cart
****323 sq.ft : Vending Machine
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse B (backstage)

771,772 sq.ft : Hotel (9 stories)
****215 sq.ft : Hotel Security Booth
****484 sq.ft : Gazebo

*36,382 sq.ft : CEP Building (backstage)
**2,368 sq.ft : Power Branch(power generation) (backstage)

FYI
81,935 sq.ft : BatB Ride (2 stories)

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

more info from "Kensetsunews"
https://www.kensetsunews.com/web-kan/213920

Gross floor area
*82,129 sq.ft : Motion-base Ride (2 stories)
**5,812 sq.ft : Trackless Ride

**1,615 sq.ft : Pirates Ship
**1,076 sq.ft : Rockworks Building
*18,837 sq.ft : Restaurant A
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse A (backstage)

*38,965 sq.ft : Boat Ride A (2 stories)
****161 sq.ft : Boat Ride Entry Building
*49,945 sq.ft : Restaurant B & Restaurant C (2 stories)

*95,906 sq.ft : Boat Ride B (2 stories)
**1,076 sq.ft : Shop
**3,014 sq.ft : Area Restroom
****538 sq.ft : Ice & Drink Cart
****215 sq.ft : Popcorn Cart
****215 sq.ft : Merchandise Cart
****323 sq.ft : Vending Machine
****108 sq.ft : Stanchion Warehouse B (backstage)

771,772 sq.ft : Hotel (9 stories)
****215 sq.ft : Hotel Security Booth
****484 sq.ft : Gazebo

*36,382 sq.ft : CEP Building (backstage)
**2,368 sq.ft : Power Branch(power generation) (backstage)

FYI
81,935 sq.ft : BatB Ride (2 stories)
Great info!
So I'm guessing:

*82,129 sq.ft : Motion-base Ride (2 stories) - Peter Pan

**5,812 sq.ft : Trackless Ride - Tinkerbell

*38,965 sq.ft : Boat Ride A (2 stories) - Tangled

*95,906 sq.ft : Boat Ride B (2 stories) - Frozen

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom