• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion Watch

GiveMeTheMusic

Dumbo is definitely better stateside, Tokyo still has the old school version like most of Fantasyland. Haunted Mansion is also a bit poorer basically being the original WDW version without the staircase scene.

World bazaar is also more like a mall than a street unlike its main st counterparts

The raceway and rocket jets were also poorer in Tokyo but now they’ve been replaced and i cant wait to see new fantasyland
I’d take TDL’s Mansion over WDW’s any day. Despite not having the stair scene, it’s so immaculately maintained it’s like riding a whole different attraction.

Animaniac93-98

Advertisement
I’d take TDL’s Mansion over WDW’s any day. Despite not having the stair scene, it’s so immaculately maintained it’s like riding a whole different attraction.
Not having the staircase and Paul Frees are the only things I have against TDL's version. Otherwise, it's probably the best, especially for not having Constance and for having graveyard ghosts who actually move and have visible painted detail.

Of course, this is based on YouTube videos. I'll know for myself in person in about two months or so. :)

Absimilliard

Not having the staircase and Paul Frees are the only things I have against TDL's version. Otherwise, it's probably the best, especially for not having Constance and for having graveyard ghosts who actually move and have visible painted detail.

Of course, this is based on YouTube videos. I'll know for myself in person in about two months or so. :)
The nicest effect for me in the TDL Haunted Mansion is easily missed. Its the walking book in the library and it was never retrofitted to WDW Mansion.

BrianLo

I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything WDW and TDL share where WDW's version is better. Maybe Dumbo?
While not attractions - Merchandise (in terms of North American appeal), coloured slurry. I like Liberty Square as support for Haunted Mansion more (which is more of a lack of something as opposed to being shared) - however the Smallworld pathway pinch in WDW is godawful.

There really isn't a lot though...

Animaniac93-98

Outside que was pretty good too.
There's a small hut you can see people moving inside (Cuz it's an other themed restaurant)
Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall, right?

While not attractions - Merchandise (in terms of North American appeal), coloured slurry. I like Liberty Square as support for Haunted Mansion more (which is more of a lack of something as opposed to being shared) - however the Smallworld pathway pinch in WDW is godawful.

There really isn't a lot though...
I'd say Dumbo is in a better location in TDL and I prefer Small World without the characters. It's my understanding that Tom Sawyer Island and Space Mountain are copied from California, so if that's true I prefer the WDW versions.

The overall look of Main Street vs World Bazaar would be another, but Tokyo still has things like the Magic Shop and Penny Arcade.

Tokyo has the best HM in the world (and honestly I would probably say the best PotC now also)
It gets my vote for best traditional PotC by not having that awful new Auction scene. Paris might have an edge for overall presentation and quality, though.

Robbiem

Land behind of showbase (ex Bus terminal anex) is now cleared completely for redevelopment.
After the forest theater opens in 2020, pretty sure showbase will be closing.
This land is probably planed to be used for Tomorrowland expansion ?!
I thought the same thing about the showbase. I wonder how tomorrowland would expand? Perhaps being near star tours we might get a star wars land it would be interesting to see what WDI could do with this on a Tokyo budget. Alternatively if its a more ‘disney’ expansion (or if disney are keeping star wars for their own asian parks sometime down the line) I wouldn’t be suprized if we had something with wall e.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Original Poster
As much as I’d like to see something original, realistically whatever they build will be based on a movie. And while there is probably room to squeeze the two Galaxy’s Edge E Tickets in there if Star Tours is removed, it wouldn’t include any of the village and it’s unlike OLC to build a lesser version of something stateside.

I don’t know how Marvel works for TDR... is Guardians of the Galaxy fair game?

My bet is an original Wreck it Ralph E Ticket. OLC doesn’t seem very interested in the live action movies. It fits the aesthetics of their Tomorrowland and it would be a response to Super Mario World at USJ.

I don’t know how Marvel works for TDR... is Guardians of the Galaxy fair game?
I think they can use any character not at USJ. So basically, just not Spider-Man (which is the most popular Marvel character in Japan). Marvel is a pretty small/niche brand in Japan (their films outside Spider-Man/Avengers usually bomb), so I don't think we will ever see a Marvel expansion at TDR. I agree that something based on a Star Wars, Pixar, or WDAS IP is far more likely.

BrianLo

Land behind of showbase (ex Bus terminal anex) is now cleared completely for redevelopment.
After the forest theater opens in 2020, pretty sure showbase will be closing.
This land is probably planed to be used for Tomorrowland expansion ?!
While I do think Tokyo will expand that way (and are actively planning on it), I'd be a tad surprised if this was already underway without us having heard.

However it's not a huge amount of space, I always pictured them really going to town with that parking lot... but I don't think OLC is interested in Galaxies Edge.

What is outlined basically provides a nice cutout to tack on an E-ticket without much other fanfare to the land. Tokyo Disney Seas' expansion is so ginormous and all encompassing perhaps they did want to sneak in a 2022 Tokyo Disneyland attraction as counter programming (sort of the Soaring to the the current Beauty and the Beast situation).

But usually OLC is pretty forthcoming and doesn't start something without announcing it.

BrianLo

Speaking of Tomorrowland franchise possibilities... OLC has previously turned down all previous suggestions from WDI (they have been up-sold on Pandora, Carsland and Galaxies Edge over the years). In fact they pretty much are no longer taking anything not designed for them.

It's a bit of a pity Big Hero 6 is being possibly spent on the spinner. That seems like it would be a good fit (it did double the box office of Tangled, which is getting a far more substantial addition). I still have a dream of a Wall E attraction.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise doesn't seem to hold up financially in Japan to justify. Big Hero Six doubled the performance of most other MCU movies on a cursory glance. Star Wars again I don't think they are interested in beyond what they have. Wall E performed well if Tangled is the benchmark. Wreck is Ralph I don't think makes the cut.

Otherwise I don't know what else it would be, I highly doubt OLC would accept a Tron clone.

Animaniac93-98

Speaking of Tomorrowland franchise possibilities... OLC has previously turned down all previous suggestions from WDI (they have been up-sold on Pandora, Carsland and Galaxies Edge over the years). In fact they pretty much are no longer taking anything not designed for them.

It's a bit of a pity Big Hero 6 is being possibly spent on the spinner. That seems like it would be a good fit (it did double the box office of Tangled, which is getting a far more substantial addition). I still have a dream of a Wall E attraction.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe otherwise doesn't seem to hold up financially in Japan to justify. Big Hero Six doubled the performance of most other MCU movies on a cursory glance. Star Wars again I don't think they are interested in beyond what they have. Wall E performed well if Tangled is the benchmark. Wreck is Ralph I don't think makes the cut.

Otherwise I don't know what else it would be, I highly doubt OLC would accept a Tron clone.
An actual ride for Stitch, maybe? After so many years of Live!, Escape and Christmas shows, that would be nice.

I do also wish more were done with BH6. I still want a made-for-theatres sequel.

Top Bottom