Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

SweetDuffy101

@SweetDuffy101 Can you clarify what was meant by the quote above, especially the last line about hospitality? I also didn't understand the exact reason why they think large-scale expansion of TDS is difficult? I could only get an abridged answer from Google Translate.

The next plan after the TDS expansion-

They’re saying that its hard to create new facility’s in the park, because when they add new lets say attractions or areas it changes the parks image as a whole and it really takes time to create new experiences that will match the image and story of TokyoDisneySea.

Regarding the software and hardware it states that they need to secure new Cast members as expansion approaches they need to train and create a High quality of Hospitality for guests experience. in that way they can operate smoothly when having new experiences in the parks.

ThemeParkTraveller

The next plan after the TDS expansion-

They’re saying that its hard to create new facility’s in the park, because when they add new lets say attractions or areas it changes the parks image as a whole and it really takes time to create new experiences that will match the image and story of TokyoDisneySea.

Thanks! That makes sense because TDS has a higher standard of theming and storytelling compared to TDL. Although one could argue Fantasy Springs itself is a pretty big departure from the rest of the park.

Otamin

Interesting...

While they’re at it, how about re-imagining the castle so it isn’t a clone of WDWs.
I think it would be nice to see a more unique castle in Tokyo, but that said I do feel it's aesthetically the superior version of the Cinderella Castle and it would be a shame to lose it.

The "ageing" the Tokyo castle got really helps take it to another level in my opinion.

GiveMeTheMusic

Japanese fans are very attached to the castle. I wouldn't ever expect OLC to approve any major changes to it. It's one thing for HKDL, just past its 10th anniversary and with less-than-stellar attendance records, to radically alter their castle. TDL has been open for 35 years and has millions of rabid fans with emotional and now generational attachments. Their Cinderella Castle (which is indeed more beautiful than WDW's) is here to stay.

GiveMeTheMusic

Asia needs one good looking Disneyland castle.

DHfJdU9VYAIGVTp.jpg

cheezbat

I think it would be nice to see a more unique castle in Tokyo, but that said I do feel it's aesthetically the superior version of the Cinderella Castle and it would be a shame to lose it.

The "ageing" the Tokyo castle got really helps take it to another level in my opinion.
Fine.

Then maybe it’s time to do something drastic with Magic Kingdom’s....seeing as how it’s turning 50 and all...

I just hate that we’ll be the only one with a cloned castle, and ours will be the inferior version. Seems to be a running theme with MK....

Otamin

Fine.

Then maybe it’s time to do something drastic with Magic Kingdom’s....seeing as how it’s turning 50 and all...

I just hate that we’ll be the only one with a cloned castle, and ours will be the inferior version. Seems to be a running theme with MK....
Unfortunately, yes.

Hopefully the castle will be spruced up for the 50th.

ThemeParkTraveller

SW Wilson has posted an imaginative new map of what TDS could look like once 'Fantasy Springs' opens.

IdealBuildOut: The New Shape Of TDS

View attachment 306156

I've definitely been curious about how the new port would be arranged with respect to the rest of the park. His layout makes a lot of sense since it orients the hotel with access to the monorail station. Not surprising that Fantasy Springs will greatly change the profile of TDS, as it looks to be taking up 1/4 of the park.

As far as the other additions in his ideal build-out, I would probably do something a bit different. A rapids ride is not the ideal use of the space in my opinion (too big a footprint and not the best ride choice for the market). Because of the limited expansion space in TDR, every bit of available land should be used if possible. I would expand that area beyond the monorail to include the Sheraton parking lot, giving a total expansion pad around 15 acres. This would be more than enough for a full land with at least 3 attractions (with 2 major E-tickets).

I like his idea for the possible CEP expansion pad, but I would be a little more generous with the scale. With clever use of the space, there is room for a sizable E-ticket show building without the need to shift too much of the backstage facilities. And although I argued otherwise before, I think a Mermaid Lagoon E-ticket would be a great choice as well for that space. Not counting the theater show, it's the only port in the park that lacks a headlining attraction.

BrianLo

SW Wilson has posted an imaginative new map of what TDS could look like once 'Fantasy Springs' opens.

View attachment 306156

Excellent job as always @RandySavage. I agree with the orientation of the new area. Although I think Neverland's ride building may wind up a bit larger shrinking the pixie hollow area a tad.

The layout is awkward in some regards, it's such an oddly shaped park now. I was going to suggest it now almost warrants a third transportation option that can take you from one end to the other... but ironically the monorail now technically does that.

BrianLo

Am I daft, how did we completely miss this?

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/news_tdr/20180717_02e/main/0/link/20180717_02e.pdf

Sounds like a Magical Map/Mickey and the Magician/Wondrous Book type show. Fair enough.

But Disney Sea, in a theatre that literally just received a new show? (Essentially Yesterday by the pace WDW replaces shows). Of course it's impressive turnover in OLC style, but the new theatre in the new Fantasyland would have seemed more logical. I wonder if that will host more of a broadway-type musical.

Also I haven't seen Shadowland and now never will... guess I'll break down and Youtube it.

JohnyKaz2078

I've definitely been curious about how the new port would be arranged with respect to the rest of the park. His layout makes a lot of sense since it orients the hotel with access to the monorail station. Not surprising that Fantasy Springs will greatly change the profile of TDS, as it looks to be taking up 1/4 of the park.

As far as the other additions in his ideal build-out, I would probably do something a bit different. A rapids ride is not the ideal use of the space in my opinion (too big a footprint and not the best ride choice for the market). Because of the limited expansion space in TDR, every bit of available land should be used if possible. I would expand that area beyond the monorail to include the Sheraton parking lot, giving a total expansion pad around 15 acres. This would be more than enough for a full land with at least 3 attractions (with 2 major E-tickets).

I like his idea for the possible CEP expansion pad, but I would be a little more generous with the scale. With clever use of the space, there is room for a sizable E-ticket show building without the need to shift too much of the backstage facilities. And although I argued otherwise before, I think a Mermaid Lagoon E-ticket would be a great choice as well for that space. Not counting the theater show, it's the only port in the park that lacks a headlining attraction.

There isn't only the Mermaid Lagoon. Across the river there is the Arabian Coast. Both lands have the same concept. Some carnival rides and a theater. The Mermaid Lagoon has more carnival rides but the Arabian Coast has Sindibad (which by the way nobody considers a headliner). It's like IASW but with 90% shorter wait. I've seen Sindibad above 10 minutes only on extremely busy days. But I'm not opposed to a headliner in ML. It would be a solid addition to the park.

View attachment 306156

Wow. The new port is like 40% the current size of the park. I'm really curious to see how it turns out in the end.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

Excellent job as always @RandySavage. I agree with the orientation of the new area. Although I think Neverland's ride building may wind up a bit larger shrinking the pixie hollow area a tad.

The layout is awkward in some regards, it's such an oddly shaped park now. I was going to suggest it now almost warrants a third transportation option that can take you from one end to the other... but ironically the monorail now technically does that.

Neverland's show building is definitely bigger than that. It is approximately 25% larger than Indy's show building according to the square footage figures posted not long ago. The Pixie Hollow attraction is approximately 10% of the size of Aquatopia (a bit smaller than Luigi's at DCA), so I imagine the corresponding area around it is quite a bit smaller than indicated on his build-out.

It is indeed a very long walk from Fantasy Springs to the front of the park. I didn't even consider it might be faster to exit the park via the new hotel and take the monorail to the main gate. Although with the new hotel opening, I think it makes more sense to reverse the direction of the monorails so that TDL is more accessible (if the hotel will not have a separate entrance to that park as well). Currently, TDL would be 3 stations away from the new hotel, and the TDS station is essentially always a wasted stop.

I can't imagine a scenario where guests of the new hotel would want to enter via the main gate, even for Happy 15. I assume most guests would rather wait the extra 15 minutes and hit the new port before regular guests. The walk from the AquaSphere to the entrance of the new port is also around 15 minutes, so it's definitely possible to get a few rides in before the masses start descending on the area.

ThemeParkTraveller

There isn't only the Mermaid Lagoon. Across the river there is the Arabian Coast. Both lands have the same concept. Some carnival rides and a theater. The Mermaid Lagoon has more carnival rides but the Arabian Coast has Sindibad (which by the way nobody considers a headliner). It's like IASW but with 90% shorter wait. I've seen Sindibad above 10 minutes only on extremely busy days. But I'm not opposed to a headliner in ML. It would be a solid addition to the park.

You are correct that Sindbad is not popular at all (a real shame), but it is still an E-ticket attraction qualitatively at least. Ideally, both ports would get a proper headliner in the future. It looks like with some additional backstage re-arranging, it would be possible to trade Magic Lamp Theater for an additional E-ticket without giving up the CEP expansion pad.

ThemeParkTraveller

Sounds like a Magical Map/Mickey and the Magician/Wondrous Book type show. Fair enough.

But Disney Sea, in a theatre that literally just received a new show? (Essentially Yesterday by the pace WDW replaces shows). Of course it's impressive turnover in OLC style, but the new theatre in the new Fantasyland would have seemed more logical. I wonder if that will host more of a broadway-type musical.

Also I haven't seen Shadowland and now never will... guess I'll break down and Youtube it.

I did some digging just now, and it seems Out of Shadowland had a budget of 3.5 billion yen. That's really pricey for a stage show- more than Fantasmic cost to develop back in 2011 (3 billion yen). That they are retiring it after not even 2 years is very surprising to me. It must have really low guest survey scores. Something that Fantasmic is also rumored to suffer from amidst other problems (it's also very likely to be replaced in the next few years).

Regarding the Fantasyland Theater, I'm guessing it will host yet another character show. This is OLC's description of the facility. "Signature Disney entertainment unique to Tokyo Disneyland and featuring the Disney Friends will be presented in this storybook theater environment".

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

I did some digging just now, and it seems Out of Shadowland had a budget of 3.5 billion yen. That's really pricey for a stage show- more than Fantasmic cost to develop back in 2011 (3 billion yen). That they are retiring it after not even 2 years is very surprising to me. It must have really low guest survey scores. Something that Fantasmic is also rumored to suffer from amidst other problems (it's also very likely to be replaced in the next few years).
Fantasmic’s issue is that they adapted a stage show that because of its nature CAN’T be well adapted into a 360 degree format and because of the change in format, the show is clunky and you don’t get that full epic view you get at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, instead you get a substandard view into Mickey’s dream.

GiveMeTheMusic

It was noticed on Twitter mostly. Not sure if anyone posted about it here. Shadowland has been a big flop with TDR guests, so a replacement starring the fab five became inevitable. Kind of sad. Shadowland isn't good (I wish it was!) but Mystic Rhythms WAS.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom