Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

They're literally opening Soarin next year.

Which follows the Tower of Terror model.
Same tech, different story and aesthetic

It'll be set inside Da Vinci's atelier, where we'll be boarding one of his wooden flying machines

You're right. I guess it slipped my mind because I assumed it would just be re-using the same footage as the other Soarin' attractions.

SweetDuffy101

BATB area.

Attachments

• D7ECDB44-F251-4B24-94A8-C78C751D247B.jpeg
    D7ECDB44-F251-4B24-94A8-C78C751D247B.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 293

RandySavage

You're right. I guess it slipped my mind because I assumed it would just be re-using the same footage as the other Soarin' attractions.
It's going to be the same footage as Soarin over the World (with a unique tag at the end). No inside knowledge, but I would be shocked if they shot a new film just for this version.

ThemeParkTraveller

It's going to be the same footage as Soarin over the World (with a unique tag at the end). No inside knowledge, but I would be shocked if they shot a new film just for this version.

It looks like it will be comparable to SDL's then. More elaborately themed queue and a unique preshow but almost identical ride experience in the end. I do think some of the scenes like modern Sydney or Paris could be considered problematic for the setting of the TDS version.

RandySavage

^Hah! Fair enough.

My post's purpose was to reset any possible over-expectations. If anyone is expecting a new film/ride experience uniquely-tailored to the Renaissance Era and a DaVinci storyline - something I'd love to see happen - I think they are going to be disappointed.

From everything I've gathered, the queue and pre-show are themed to a Museum of Flight set in Mediterranean Harbor. DaVinci's machine will likely be represented - along with other key things in the history of aviation, akin to the original Living Seas queue. But I don't believe the aim will be to bring guests back to 1500s time period. I don't even think the ride system will be 'wooden' as in the art: my guess is that was only an artistic flourish. The Museum of Flight concept gives them thematic leeway to reuse the Soarin over the World film.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but that would be a happy surprise.

Last edited:

peep

Do we know yet when Soarin will open next year? Thinking of heading back September-ish and it'd be nice to check it out.

ThemeParkTraveller

Isn’t this prep work for the new parking structure? The TDS expansion plot is located in the distance behind the row of trees.

No, the new parking structure will be near the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and main entrance of Tokyo Disneyland. This is the large parking lot behind Lost River Delta, shown in the red circle below. It's adjacent to the construction for the Beauty and the Beast expansion, which can be seen to the left in the previous image.

tds-expansion.png

Last edited:

Daveeeeed

Tokyo DisneySea’s expansion is going to be so good, but the fact that it does not fit the park makes me wonder why a POTC Port wasn’t made. It’s so popular in Japan. Honestly cloning Shanghai’s Pirates would be so good for the park, and it would fit far and away better than what they are doing. Thankfully at least it seems to be in its own area and exceptionally well done, but that would have been nice.

The park’s attraction line-up is going to be out of this world!

JohnyKaz2078

Tokyo DisneySea’s expansion is going to be so good, but the fact that it does not fit the park makes me wonder why a POTC Port wasn’t made. It’s so popular in Japan. Honestly cloning Shanghai’s Pirates would be so good for the park, and it would fit far and away better than what they are doing. Thankfully at least it seems to be in its own area and exceptionally well done, but that would have been nice.

The park’s attraction line-up is going to be out of this world!

There was a Norway-Arendelle area announced back in 2015 that would occupy the empty space on the left side of the Lost River Delta (which can easily fit another port). I believe that this is the area you're mentioning. The plan was unfortunately scaled back in 2016 and there are currently no plans for the area I believe.

Speaking of the PoTC port, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise isn't as popular in Japan as it's in the US or Europe and the such is the case with the PoTC ride Tokyo Disneyland. The OLC Company though has showed countless times that it can design absolutely amazing lands and rides so they could find a way to pull it off brilliantly.

Daveeeeed

There was a Norway-Arendelle area announced back in 2015 that would occupy the empty space on the left side of the Lost River Delta (which can easily fit another port). I believe that this is the area you're mentioning. The plan was unfortunately scaled back in 2016 and there are currently no plans for the area I believe.

Speaking of the PoTC port, the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise isn't as popular in Japan as it's in the US or Europe and the such is the case with the PoTC ride Tokyo Disneyland. The OLC Company though has showed countless times that it can design absolutely amazing lands and rides so they could find a way to pull it off brilliantly.
Right, that’s the area. The new stuff is to the right of LRD which will be exceptionally well done.
In my opinion, the original rides (like the one at Tokyo) were worsened by adding Jack Sparrow, and the high capacity and lack of fast passes are mainly to blame for the low wait times at TDL. That does not paint an accurate picture of a Pirates ride based on the movies.
The Pirates show at Tokyo DisneySea in Mediterranean Harbour is crazy popular. POTC franchise is actually very successful in Japan. Like the US the franchise has dwindled in popularity due to a decline in quality, but and even with that in mind it’s very popular.
POTC is more popular in Japan than Indy, but that doesn’t stop it from reaching crazy waits! Even if POTC wasn’t popular it’s still all about the ride itself. Shanghai’s Pirates is objectively the best/largest dark ride on Earth. It would be a brilliant addition, but I guess they figure people would prefer 3 new dark rides vs. just one. Maybe someday.

ThemeParkTraveller

Right, that’s the area. The new stuff is to the right of LRD which will be exceptionally well done.
In my opinion, the original rides (like the one at Tokyo) were worsened by adding Jack Sparrow, and the high capacity and lack of fast passes are mainly to blame for the low wait times at TDL. That does not paint an accurate picture of a Pirates ride based on the movies.
The Pirates show at Tokyo DisneySea in Mediterranean Harbour is crazy popular. POTC franchise is actually very successful in Japan. Like the US the franchise has dwindled in popularity due to a decline in quality, but and even with that in mind it’s very popular.
POTC is more popular in Japan than Indy, but that doesn’t stop it from reaching crazy waits! Even if POTC wasn’t popular it’s still all about the ride itself. Shanghai’s Pirates is objectively the best/largest dark ride on Earth. It would be a brilliant addition, but I guess they figure people would prefer 3 new dark rides vs. just one. Maybe someday.

The Pirates franchise was indeed very popular in Japan. Box office wise, it was on par with Jurassic Park or Star Wars at its peak and lagging noticeably behind only the Harry Potter franchise. You make a great point about the Pirates summer show. I've never seen such a huge and energized crowd at one of the seasonal event shows. I think they originally only intended to use the summer event to promote the fifth Pirates film, but its popularity caused it to return this year (and probably many others). No question, it's the most successful summer event they've ever done.

Before the announcement by OLC, a Pirates port was one of my predictions for their next major expansion. It's a logical and seamless fit for TDS, and I would be surprised if something similar to SDL's Treasure Cove wasn't proposed by Disney to OLC in their expansion discussions. I suspect it's still one of the frontrunners for the expansion pad besides Indy just because it's still one of the most popular IPs that can fit into TDS. OLC's recent stance has been to focus on exclusive additions though, so a potential Pirates port would have to be quite different from Shanghai's (similar to how TDS is getting a unique and larger scale Frozen E-ticket).

JohnyKaz2078

The Pirates franchise was indeed very popular in Japan. Box office wise, it was on par with Jurassic Park or Star Wars at its peak and lagging noticeably behind only the Harry Potter franchise. You make a great point about the Pirates summer show. I've never seen such a huge and energized crowd at one of the seasonal event shows. I think they originally only intended to use the summer event to promote the fifth Pirates film, but its popularity caused it to return this year (and probably many others). No question, it's the most successful summer event they've ever done.

Before the announcement by OLC, a Pirates port was one of my predictions for their next major expansion. It's a logical and seamless fit for TDS, and I would be surprised if something similar to SDL's Treasure Cove wasn't proposed by Disney to OLC in their expansion discussions. I suspect it's still one of the frontrunners for the expansion pad besides Indy just because it's still one of the most popular IPs that can fit into TDS. OLC's recent stance has been to focus on exclusive additions though, so a potential Pirates port would have to be quite different from Shanghai's (similar to how TDS is getting a unique and larger scale Frozen E-ticket).

Yep you're both right. After some more search it seems that the PoTC franchise has made quite a substantial amount of money in Japan. I know that many people say it has declined in quality and that the franchise is sinking, but I really enjoyed last year's film and I have re-watched it many times since.

I have never been to TDS but I recently saw the video of the particular show and it seems to draw a big amount of people. In all fairness the show is really good. A pirate-themed land would be a really good fit for TDS. Something in the scale of Treasure Cove would be an epic addition to the park along with the Battle of the Sunken Treasure in Shanghai. That being said, a Norway/Frozen area would be solid too if it was like the Arabian Coast (a distinctive land with some theming derived from IPs). But alas, we're getting a brand new themed port based on 3 very popular animated movies. As it has been said many times in the forum, I think that would be a much better addition to TDL's Fantasyland. On the other hand though, if it weren't to replace any existing rides, Fantasyland would become absolutely massive (due to the BaTB area) which isn't always a good thing. I really hope that the OLC makes the land look like it belongs in DisneySea and doesn't feel like an exclave of Fantasyland.

As we are on the topic I need to address something else too. It's really weird to have an entire mini-land dedicated to Peter Pan but still have Peter Pan's Flight in Disneyland, IMO. I expect the company to address this issue by announcing that something else will replace it. Does anybody have any feedback on this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom