Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea Questions

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Hello all!

I am a professional Disney World traveler (maybe not professional, but I've been there a ton) and we're planning our first international trip - to Tokyo! My daughter (10) and boyfriend have both been wanting to go to Japan and my only request was that we also visit TDL and TDS while we're there. We're looking at going in 2024 and will be spending 2 weeks in Japan. It will be myself, my boyfriend, and our 2 kids (my daughter will be 12 or 13 and my son will be 7).

How many days do you think would be good to visit both Disneyland and DisneySea? Are there any shows or experiences that might not be worth it to those that speak (probably very) limited Japanese?
(We're working on it, but learning new languages is apparently a struggle for me)

Is there anything else in Tokyo (or other parts of Japan, we're probably going to explore different areas as well) that we should look for or make sure we experience?

I'm just trying to roughly price things out for right now so we can save up.

Thank you!

Robbiem

Tokyo Disney and Japan as a whole is fantastic, it will spoil you for traveling anywhere else!

I’d say the amount if time for Disney depends on what else you want to do in Japan and how big a fan you are, which I guess from your post is quite big.

I’d say you need a day at each park minimum but three or four days would let you see things at a decent pace. Tokyo Disneyland has a lot in common with Magic Kingdom but the upkeep makes it feel different. Disneysea is a one off.

Dont worry about language most attractions and shows are fine and have a lot of english, only a couple like the stitch encounter and turtle talk wouldn’t be too good.

Do make sure you see Japan as well though its a country which really touches your soul. There is so much to do that its hard to be specific without some more ideas about what you like but there is something for everyone. Travel is easy - most trains and signage etc are bilingual so you can see in English. Use www.hyperdia.com to get itineraries for trains. Make sure you go on the Shinkansen (bullet train) at least once

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Tokyo Disney and Japan as a whole is fantastic, it will spoil you for traveling anywhere else!

I’d say the amount if time for Disney depends on what else you want to do in Japan and how big a fan you are, which I guess from your post is quite big.

I’d say you need a day at each park minimum but three or four days would let you see things at a decent pace. Tokyo Disneyland has a lot in common with Magic Kingdom but the upkeep makes it feel different. Disneysea is a one off.

Dont worry about language most attractions and shows are fine and have a lot of english, only a couple like the stitch encounter and turtle talk wouldn’t be too good.

Do make sure you see Japan as well though its a country which really touches your soul. There is so much to do that its hard to be specific without some more ideas about what you like but there is something for everyone. Travel is easy - most trains and signage etc are bilingual so you can see in English. Use www.hyperdia.com to get itineraries for trains. Make sure you go on the Shinkansen (bullet train) at least once
Thank you so much! My boyfriend and daughter are MAJOR anime fans so we're looking at different museums and such to go to surrounding that. We're also planning a trip to Universal there as well for my son. He LOVES Mario.
I was thinking of doing 3 days between Disneyland and DisneySea so your suggestion is pretty much perfect.
We have so much we want to do so I'm hoping 2 weeks will be enough!

BrianLo

3 or 4 days I would personally say is ideal to optimize your time for other wonderful activities in Japan.

Look into the studio ghibli museum.

If you are looking at two weeks, generally an ideal first timer itinerary would include 4-5 days in addition for Tokyo. 3 for Kyoto. You can then tack on some side day trips from either base that appeals to your family. Like a day for universal. If you are doing that park I’d personally go with three for Disney.

Japan Guide (website) is an incredibly helpful resource.

BasiltheBatLord

Pretty good answers in this thread already. 2 days minimum for TDR. TDL is similar to the American castle parks but with some unique stuff. All of the shows are in Japanese but it shouldn't affect your enjoyment much. Stitch Encounter and Turtle Talk are interactive shows in Japanese so be warned your kids won't get picked if you do those. IMO the Beauty and the Beast attraction at TDL is really not that exciting so don't stress over whether you get to do it or not, but your mileage may vary.

The new Fantasy Springs expansion is opening at TDS in 2023, so things will probably be different there by the time you go. Possible you may need an extra day for TDS depending on how much it fills out the park more.

There are of course a ton of local attractions in Tokyo, depends on what exactly you're interested in. For anime stuff, visit Akihabara, Nakano Broadway and consider the Studio Ghibli Museum in Mitaka and Joypolis in Odaiba. One important thing to keep in mind is that TDR is relatively far from central Tokyo. If you're a fan of roller coasters you could also consider taking a day trip to Fuji-Q, which is like the Japanese equivalent of Six Flags right at the foot of Mount Fuji.

If your trip to Japan is once in a lifetime, I would recommend taking the bullet train down to Kansai area to visit USJ in Osaka and maybe Kyoto.

Last edited:

celluloid

This is amazing. Thank you for starting this thread as my family and I are planning our first hopeful trip to Japan for next summer. We are looking for three weeks with a few days at Tokyo Disney, and a day at Universal and maybe exploring Osaka while we are there.

Are kids are quite young so we are going to have to pace ourselves and do the best we can.

I see that Japan is mostly cash exchange culture at anything that is not a major business. Did those who have already visit find this to be true? I see that the terminal ticket machines for many trains and the paid monorail at Tokyo Disney are cash accepting only.

Just to add some questions and conversations:
What was worth it in the memory of those that have visited to have all set up before hand? The lot of little things like this seem to be overlooked in many guides and what sim card like advice would you give?

BasiltheBatLord

I see that Japan is mostly cash exchange culture at anything that is not a major business. Did those who have already visit find this to be true? I see that the terminal ticket machines for many trains and the paid monorail at Tokyo Disney are cash accepting only.
Generally true. You'll need to carry cash with you at all times. As a general rule, the more local/non-chain something is the more likely it's cash only.

Everything inside the parks take card though.

Robbiem

This is amazing. Thank you for starting this thread as my family and I are planning our first hopeful trip to Japan for next summer. We are looking for three weeks with a few days at Tokyo Disney, and a day at Universal and maybe exploring Osaka while we are there.

Are kids are quite young so we are going to have to pace ourselves and do the best we can.

Just to add some questions and conversations:
What was worth it in the memory of those that have visited to have all set up before hand? The lot of little things like this seem to be overlooked in many guides and what sim card like advice would you give?
I found planning out train trips was helpful. If you have the travel times for where you want to go you can book tickets easily.

If you are buying a tourist railcard make sure you get before you go as some have to be bought outside Japan

I don’t know how things work for Disney and universal now but definitely look to see how far in advance you need to book tickets, when I went to Disney you got guaranteed admission if you stayed in a partner hotel, not sure if that applies post covid.

Cards are being taken in a lot of places but cash is still most widely used in Japan, check if your card works at ATMs as not all do in Japan. You can also use travel cards for railways etc in stores as a form of prepay (hangy if you have money left over).

Combini stores like seven eleven, family mart and lawson station often have western friendly ATMs and often have machines to book tickets for Disney etc.

I’m not sure about sim cards as I didn’t use a phone but I know people who have hired pre pay cards and said they worked out well

Do try and take time to see the traditional side of Japan as well as the parks etc. It really is a unique and beautiful country

celluloid

I found planning out train trips was helpful. If you have the travel times for where you want to go you can book tickets easily.

If you are buying a tourist railcard make sure you get before you go as some have to be bought outside Japan

I don’t know how things work for Disney and universal now but definitely look to see how far in advance you need to book tickets, when I went to Disney you got guaranteed admission if you stayed in a partner hotel, not sure if that applies post covid.

Cards are being taken in a lot of places but cash is still most widely used in Japan, check if your card works at ATMs as not all do in Japan. You can also use travel cards for railways etc in stores as a form of prepay (hangy if you have money left over).

Combini stores like seven eleven, family mart and lawson station often have western friendly ATMs and often have machines to book tickets for Disney etc.

I’m not sure about sim cards as I didn’t use a phone but I know people who have hired pre pay cards and said they worked out well

Do try and take time to see the traditional side of Japan as well as the parks etc. It really is a unique and beautiful country

Great tips. Thank you and all for input to help us rookies.
I looked into the JR pass for an online purchase.That seems to include most major railways including the bullet train route from Tokyo to Osaka which would help us spend a couple of our days in Osaka. Phones would not be as big of a concern to use while we are there except we are taking some young ones with us to keep our eyes on so I guess it gives us peace of mind.

I had a Las Vegas trip where signing up for an MGM Rewards Credit Card had free parking perks at their hotels and has no foreign transaction fees. I guess MGM is building a hotel in Osaka as well so maybe that will be another bonus in the future for it.

Robbiem

Great tips. Thank you and all for input to help us rookies.
I looked into the JR pass for an online purchase.That seems to include most major railways including the bullet train route from Tokyo to Osaka which would help us spend a couple of our days in Osaka. Phones would not be as big of a concern to use while we are there except we are taking some young ones with us to keep our eyes on so I guess it gives us peace of mind.

I had a Las Vegas trip where signing up for an MGM Rewards Credit Card had free parking perks at their hotels and has no foreign transaction fees. I guess MGM is building a hotel in Osaka as well so maybe that will be another bonus in the future for it.
No worries

JR pass is great you can make seat reservations with one at any station ticket office (look for the green sign), staff are usually super helpful. It covers most of the shinkansen bullet trains, the airport express and the line which goes to maihama (Tokyo disney station). There are some private lines not covered as well as a few of the very fast shinkansen but you are only saving a few mins on a long journey. You can also use them in some places for tourist routes like old time steam trains

Get an IC card as well. Its basically a smart card you load up at stations and use on subway trains, buses etc. Most cities have their own but they are compatible with each other so you can use them across the country. Any money you dont use you can use to pay in a convenience store (we used ours in the station at Disney before we left)

I’ve not stayed in Osaka but I’ve visited both the city and Universal from Kyoto which is a great city and another good option for the area, as the former capital it has lots of interesting places to see.

I’m hoping to visit Osaka for the next world expo in 2025 so I’ll have to check out the new MGM hotel, thanks for the tip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom