Tokyo Disney Resort Massive Expansion

yeti

Original Poster
I just posted this in a spirited thread:

https://kotaku.com/tokyo-disney-planning-new-amusement-park-in-japan-1820832001

It's not exactly top-tier journalism but Kotaku doesn't typically make stuff up.

EDIT: The Japan Times is simply calling it an "expansion"...
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/11/29/business/corporate-business/tokyo-disney-parks-operator-planning-¥300-billion-expansion-aimed-overseas-older-visitors/

EDIT: quoting @GiveMeTheMusic :
There is not going to be a third gate at TDR. They are going to wipe out their parking areas and expand the two existing parks. There's not enough space for a third gate.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

Im still thinking where to put the 3rd resort. maybe around Urayasu or near Tokyo DisneyCelebration hotel.

Maybe the Frozen Area might be in the 3rd park. and the posibilities are endless.

GenerationX

I can't imagine there'd be any room within the resort loop for a 3rd gate. Regardless, if the 3rd gate is anywhere near the quality of the first two, I am all for it.

TROR

A Japan themed theme park in Japan? I'm sure everyone who criticizes DCA for being California themed in California will love this.

If that really is the theme, though, I'm disappointed. Japan, at least in my opinion, isn't that interesting and, unlike California, is pretty one note in its history and culture.

Robbiem

I think this is really great news - any new park is always exciting but if it has the same quality as the other Tokyo parks it will be amazing

I know the articles say it will be Japanese themed but I wonder what this means. Will there be a Japanese themed samurai land in a wider park for example or will there be other Japanese themes - ghibli and anime, manga, samurai, tech and futurism etc. I think the next few years are going to be fun to speculate!!

BrianLo

If that really is the theme, though, I'm disappointed. Japan, at least in my opinion, isn't that interesting and, unlike California, is pretty one note in its history and culture.

This is clearly why they need a Japanese centric park. You can't compare a country with its own native cultural history, similarly varied geography, religion, intact heritage with pockets of extreme modernization unfavourably to a state that was formed more than 1000 years later with a melting pot of primarily European descent. California is certainly an important fixture, but likewise entire industries have arisen out of Japan from media to tech to software.

DisneyFan18

There's a lot of mistranslating going on here.

There is not going to be a third gate at TDR. They are going to wipe out their parking areas and expand the two existing parks. There's not enough space for a third gate.
Is it likely that during the D23 2018 Japan we will be hearing some new details on the expansions? Or is it still blue sky?

@yeti maybe the thread should be renamed to Disneyland Tokyo Resort Massive Expansion or something along the lines?

yeti

Original Poster
There's a lot of mistranslating going on here.

Is it likely that during the D23 2018 Japan we will be hearing some new details on the expansions? Or is it still blue sky?

@yeti maybe the thread should be renamed to Disneyland Tokyo Resort Massive Expansion or something along the lines?
I'd be shocked if they revealed anything given that they're apparently not opening stuff for another decade at least....however I'm wondering if that's part of the mistranslation. @GiveMeTheMusic are they really waiting until 2025 to break ground on this?

wdwfan4ver

This still in the planning stage right now. It sounds like Oriental Land has entered negotiations on the new areas with Walt Disney Company with details being ironed out by May of 2018. I've read that part a couple days ago.

Based on that time frame, I wouldn't expect anything new to be announced at D23 Japan in terms of new lands or attractions.

Robbiem

What's interesting is the press releases state this is part of a drive to target non Japanese tourists to the resort, hense the Japanese theme mentioned. I believe the OLC can't market the resort outside Japan under its contract with Disney so they must be pushing for word of mouth and people seeing advertisements etc when they are in Japan.

I'm intrigued by what the themes will be - I could see an edo era Japan land working well in disneysea or perhaps a futuristic cyberpunk style area to replace the parts of tomorrowland lost to the fantasyland expansion. I wonder if there will be any crossover with an EPCOT attraction? If the rights are available id love to see something ghibli- a ride based on the spirited away bathhouse or totoro would be amazing

Stevie Amsterdam

If the rights are available id love to see something ghibli- a ride based on the spirited away bathhouse or totoro would be amazing
I'm not sure this will ever happen. There is already a Studio Ghibli Museum (which I'm going to visit in March '18 yay!) so wouldn't that be conflicting? I know that a museum and a themepark are two seperate things, but you get what I mean right?

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom