Toddlers

Tootsie

Original Poster
We are taking my 16 month old grand daughter, what's everyone's thought's on the backpack harness? We are taking her stroller, but she's very independent and likes to get down, my daughter is having a really hard time with the thought of a "leash".

Weather_Lady

The alternative is a free-range toddler who could easily get lost in the crowd if she darts off. If your little one is prone to wandering/dashing off, I'd absolutely use it, at least when you're passing through high-traffic areas.

Even older little ones can get easily lost in WDW. My 5-year-old nephew wandered away from my sister and BIL when they visited WDW a few weeks ago (my sister was walking ahead with my niece, and my BIL had paused to get something out of a bag -- when he turned around 30 seconds later, my nephew was nowhere to be found. As they later discovered, my nephew had inadvertently started walking next to another man who was dressed similarly to my BIL, thinking it was his Dad, and followed him to the other end of Fantasyland.) Even though my nephew ended up no more than a hundred yards away from his parents, none of them could see him in the crowd, and it took several heart-pounding, panic-stricken minutes of running around screaming his name, and the assistance of several cast members, for them to find him. I know that if my sister and BIL could have gone back and redone that day, a backpack harness or similar device would have been in the plan!

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It would be a good learning opportunity for your 16 month old granddaughter to understand it is not okay to run off by not using one. It is tough though, obviously....

jrogue

I think the child needs to learn on their own not to run away. The first time I was separated from my parents (I ran into another aisle in the store) I got so scared that I never did it again. If your daughter is uncomfortable with the leash, she can try a trick my parents implemented when we went to the parks when I was a kid. They had me push my own stroller, that way I would not only be within sight at all times, but would also exhaust myself from walking. They never needed a leash for me, I was always either pushing the stroller or in the stroller. Same went for my sister a few years later. Our parents also talked to us before hand and stressed the importance of always sticking near them, and we made meet-up spots in case we ever got lost.

There's also good old hand holding that could also work! Accidents happen and sometimes parents get separated from their kids, but I've never heard of any child ever really getting so lost at WDW that they were never re-united with their parents. Like Andrew said, it could be a good learning opportunity for them.

DrummerAlly

A 16 month old isn't going to "learn" anything if they get separated from their family. While I agree that if you have a child adult ratio of at least 1:1, that its probably not necessary, if you think theres a chance the child might slip out of a hand and bolt, then absolutely do it. I'm considering one for my 22 month old when we go but because we will be 3 adults and 2 children I don't think it will be necessary.

jaklgreen

I took my kids when they were 2&3 years old by myself(hubby had to work). I was able to fly down, grab our luggage, get a towncar(no magical express then) and tour the parks for a week with no issues. But I trained my girls to stick by me like glue and if they were not in a stroller(which most of the time they were) then I had a hand on them. If I needed to use my hands to pay at the counter, I would put them both in front of me so I can see and feel them. I also trained them to hold onto my shirt when we were walking, which we used when at the grocery store parking lot when I was pushing a cart, or when we ordered food at WDW and I had to carry a tray. Not saying it was easy but I did what needed to be done to keep control of them. They learn pretty quick what is expected of them. We also took them a year earlier when they would have been 18 & 31 months old and we did not have any issues with them running off. Kids are quick and they are sneaky so you really need to be strict about that kind of stuff, especially running off. Oh and we never used a harness.

Last edited:

buseegal

The alternative is a free-range toddler who could easily get lost in the crowd if she darts off. I'd absolutely use it, particularly when you're passing through high-traffic areas. (It might not be necessary when, for example, you're standing in an indoor queue.)

Even older little ones can get easily lost in WDW. My 5-year-old nephew wandered away from my sister and BIL when they visited WDW a few weeks ago (my sister was walking ahead with my niece, and my BIL had paused to get something out of a bag -- when he turned around 30 seconds later, my nephew was nowhere to be found. As they later discovered, my nephew had inadvertently started walking next to another man who was dressed similarly to my BIL, thinking it was his Dad, and followed him to the other end of Fantasyland.) Even though my nephew ended up no more than a hundred yards away from his parents, none of them could see him in the crowd, and it took several heart-pounding, panic-stricken minutes of running around screaming his name, and the assistance of several cast members, for them to find him. I know that if my sister and BIL could have gone back and redone that day, a backpack harness or similar device would have been in the plan!
we had the same type pf thing happen to us at Hershey Park last year. all of a sudden we had 5 instead of 4 boys. quickly heard other mother calling. returned him and all his mother could say to him was I told you to stay with someone who was wearing my shirt only problem my daughter had same shirt which his mother never noticed

TDGMedley

we were just there is December and a child was lost during a parade took about 30 min for them to find the little boy. My son has one has one and loves it. he can walk and he does feel that he is free to move and go. we are going back in September and im ordering another for my daughter. you will have some people that want to comment and look because of the lease thing but i just say he loves it. Helps me know i'm doing everything i can to watch them.

WDWDreamer4

We didn't use one before on our two older kids (now 6 and 4) but our 22 month old gets into a lot of trouble. She doesn't want to hold hands, doesn't want to be carrier, doesn't want to ride in the stroller all the time. She sees her brother and sister not doing those things so she wants to be that way. However she also will wonder off. So I am considering one for her this year.
My sister did use one with my niece in 2012 when she was just about 2. She was also "miss independent" and it worked great. My niece loved that she had her own "backpack" and the teether could store right in the pouch when not needed. But it gave her the freedom she wanted without being far away from Mom or Dad.
I would do what is comfortable for your family.

Noellikechristmas

A 16 month old isn't going to "learn" anything if they get separated from their family. While I agree that if you have a child adult ratio of at least 1:1, that its probably not necessary, if you think theres a chance the child might slip out of a hand and bolt, then absolutely do it. I'm considering one for my 22 month old when we go but because we will be 3 adults and 2 children I don't think it will be necessary.

I 100% agree. I'm bringing my almost 3 year old and have been thinking of getting a leash, myself. I really hate them and think she'll be ok without it...However, I'm still un-easy about going without one. It's one thing to go to your local market or mall, with a few hundred people. We're talking about a sea of THOUSANDS of people and small children. Not really a lesson I'd like to experiment with.

Tootsie

Original Poster
I think we have decided to have it and not need it, ie if she stays in the stroller, but have it in case she decides not to. I appreciate all the comments and ideas. And I'm very proud of the people (jrouge, AndrewC, CaptainAmerica, jaklgreen) that can "control" a child, you never said how old, but 16 months is a little young to sit them down and make them understand not to leave our side. Or if she wonders away, that she will "understand" how important it is not to wonder.

KikoKea

A leash should be more of a back up and should not replace a watchful eye. If you use a leash, be careful not to let the child walk at the end of the leash's length when in a crowd. People may not see the leash and walk into it, which could trip the person and pull your child to the ground, so if you're in a crowd, hold your child's hand even if he is wearing the leash.

We used a leash for our sons, many moons ago- both are now in their mid to late 20s, intelligent and successful, so were not scarred for life from the experience. :)

John C. Shepherd

I took my then 4 year old to Disney, we didnt have to use a harness. She stayed with us walking or went in the stroller. We were dilligent with watching her but we had 4 adults and 2 older kids watching out for her but never once did we have to chance her down. We talked to her about it and she was good. She is also a vet at going to the beach and walking around knowing if busy stay close to mom and dad.

When we took her sisters when they were 3 and 4 it was in a stroller or holding hands, never had one walk off or nothing. This was at Christmas so the park was packed. I have to say i am blessed with kids that listen and dont run off.

We will be back to the park when my girls are older in 2 to 3 years, then i will be more worried about them talking to teenage boys then anything.

Danny O Boy

The alternative is a free-range toddler who could easily get lost in the crowd if she darts off. I'd absolutely use it, particularly when you're passing through high-traffic areas. (It might not be necessary when, for example, you're standing in an indoor queue.)

Our trip scheduled for September 2017 with a three year old will most certainly include a backpack harness after reading this post. Thank you for sharing!!!

DisneyAubs

I have taken both of my kids at about 20 months. With DD I had the little monkey backpack leash and we did not use it very much. It wasn't comfortable for her to lay back in her stroller with such a big lump of a monkey on her back, and it was too annoying and time consuming to take on and off.

This summer I got the Mommy's Helper (or something like that...I'll have to look) harness and it was FANTASTIC! DS walked around for a large portion of each day and was so happy to not be trapped in a stroller or carried everywhere. He was really good about also holding onto my hand; I treat the leash as more of a backup and work to train my kids to hold someone's hand at all times. Bonus--he napped really well in the stroller because he was exhausted from walking around all morning :)

TDGMedley

The harness we got off amazon was like $11 and its not a backpack. I wanted something easy they could sit in stroller with and not be hot on their back. its called Baby Buddy.

PenguinPrincess

Do what feels best for your family and ignore all the judgy nay-sayers! I totally agree...16 months is that brilliant blend of budding independence and lack of real understanding (I have a very stubborn and independent 23 month old so I feel your pain!). If you think she'll be happier getting to walk and you'll have better peace of mind knowing she's safe, then go for it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom