To the rocket scientists running Walt Disney World...

nor'easter

Original Poster
Guess what? People do not spend big bucks to come to WDW so they can go on scavenger hunts. Princesses are popular with the Honey Boo=Boo crowd, who insist on creepily dressing their little girls like make-believe teenagers, but they're not a good reason for most people to part with their hard-earned vacation dollars. How much $$$ did you shell out to redesign the princess looks? How much goes into 3rd rate entertainment? The gazillion dollar expense for next gen nonsense has a lot of people shaking their heads in puzzlement and despair.

Want to increase attendance? Take a deep breath, earn your executive dollars by being visionary instead of being afraid of analysts, and start spending some real money on a couple of state-of-the-art E tkt attractions. Use the latest technology in attractions instead of in wristbands. You will get a huge publicity buzz. They will become 'must see" attractions for repeat visitors. Big ads for your newest spectacular will appear in travel agent windows. You will get mountains of free publicity. The attractions could become iconic. The bloggers will go into overdrive. You will attract a broad demographic. Yes, it will be expensive, but the returns will be huge. Sacrifice some short-term spending for longer term earnings. It's a proven winner. You did it yourself back in the day, and other parks are doing it now.

Rose&Crowner

Princesses are popular with the Honey Boo=Boo crowd, who insist on creepily dressing their little girls like make-believe teenagers, but they're not a good reason for most people to part with their hard-earned vacation dollars.

You should've used a semicolon between clauses.

Anyhow, princesses are certainly a good reason for many, if not most people, to "part with their hard-earned vacation dollars."

I'm guessing that you've already been to Walt Disney World; however, next time you go check out the park called Magic Kingdom and be sure to look down the street when you first walk in.

Avenger117

I didn't really get the Honey-boo-boo reference, but I have never seen the show. Also how hard are they trying to increase attendance? Last time I was there the parks were in various closing phases.

Also if you don't think the princesses are popular you should step in almost any big box retail store. They sell almost any product imaginable with princess branding. They are extremely popular.

rsoxguy

I wonder, did it take a rocket scientist to help with Mission: Space and Stitch's Great Escape? And what about Mission to Mars way back when? Did Disney hire some type of jet engineer for If You Had Wings? Just random thoughts...

IWant2GoNow

I wonder, did it take a rocket scientist to help with Mission: Space and Stitch's Great Escape? And what about Mission to Mars way back when? Did Disney hire some type of jet engineer for If You Had Wings? Just random thoughts...

I hear the Yeti had the same power as a 747 jet...

spacemt354

Chili's
Guess what? People do not spend big bucks to come to WDW so they can go on scavenger hunts. Princesses are popular with the Honey Boo=Boo crowd, who insist on creepily dressing their little girls like make-believe teenagers, but they're not a good reason for most people to part with their hard-earned vacation dollars. .

Nah. Maybe you think that, but you are mistaken. Look into any Disney store. Princesses sell. When you're in Disney, metting princesses, dining with princesses, riding attractions based on princesses are very much reasons why most people visit. And as someone else suggested, I would take a peek down main street next time you're there, and think about what you and 17 million other people annually are looking at.

How much $$$ did you shell out to redesign the princess looks? How much goes into 3rd rate entertainment? The gazillion dollar expense for next gen nonsense has a lot of people shaking their heads in puzzlement and despair.

Want to increase attendance? Take a deep breath, earn your executive dollars by being visionary instead of being afraid of analysts, and start spending some real money on a couple of state-of-the-art E tkt attractions. Use the latest technology in attractions instead of in wristbands. You will get a huge publicity buzz. They will become 'must see" attractions for repeat visitors. Big ads for your newest spectacular will appear in travel agent windows. You will get mountains of free publicity. The attractions could become iconic. The bloggers will go into overdrive. You will attract a broad demographic. Yes, it will be expensive, but the returns will be huge. Sacrifice some short-term spending for longer term earnings. It's a proven winner. You did it yourself back in the day, and other parks are doing it now.

Not sure what the point of this thread was. These topics have been discussed over and over. Can't help but think you only posted this to get some extra 'likes' because building E tickets is something basically everyone agrees on.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I do agree that some new cutting edge rides are needed in the park, but I don't agree that things like scavenger hunts and meet and greets are a bad thing. A theme park is a place for people to go to relax and enjoy themselves and that doesn't always mean riding rides. There are people who get enjoyment out of seeing shows in the parks, fireworks, parades, shopping, eating, meeting characters, playing games, etc. All of these things are a valid part of the theme park experience. M&G's are a huge part of the Disney experience, especially for kids and some adults to!

IWant2GoNow

You just made the hair on my arms do a little dance. There is rocket science involved after all...
Don't get me wrong though, the people that built the Yeti are not the same people running WDW. :)

PS- As a Red Sox fan what is your take on Francona? He seems to be stirring things up for my Tribe so far. Actually making our owner spend money which is UNHEARD OF for our franchise. I like the changes thus far, just wondered how you felt in short. Not trying to derail.

Disneyhead'71

Nah. Maybe you think that, but you are mistaken. Look into any Disney store. Princesses sell. When you're in Disney, metting princesses, dining with princesses, riding attractions based on princesses are very much reasons why most people visit. And as someone else suggested, I would take a peek down main street next time you're there, and think about what you and 17 million other people annually are looking at.

Not sure what the point of this thread was. These topics have been discussed over and over. Can't help but think you only posted this to get some extra 'likes' because building E tickets is something basically everyone agrees on.

Most people? I thought MOST people visit theme parks for rides, not Meet and Greets. I think catering to the little girl demo may be one of the reasons that people who don't go, don't go.

Disneyhead'71

rant, rant, rant.....NextGen

rant, rant, rant.....wristbands

rant, rant, rant.....TDO

rant, rant, rant..... Princesses

rant, rant, rant.....Build, baby build!

Heard it all before. Do you have anything new to bring to that table?
Nope, I think you covered it except sky rocketing costs. Glad you get it.

rsoxguy

Don't get me wrong though, the people that built the Yeti are not the same people running WDW. :)

PS- As a Red Sox fan what is your take on Francona? He seems to be stirring things up for my Tribe so far. Actually making our owner spend money which is UNHEARD OF for our franchise. I like the changes thus far, just wondered how you felt in short. Not trying to derail.

Not that I want to divert from the awesomeness that is this thread topic, but the Indians are in need of more than Tito. Look at many MLB teams, and you will see former Indians players producing for them. I don't fully understand the ownership's mindset (tax write-off?), but they don't seem to desire a long term or lasting solution to the need for success in Cleavland. As to Francona, I always liked him. He was too easygoing for a team filled with rabble rousing hooligans. I think that the players, along with owners who pandered to them, eventually caused his demise. He's definitely a "baseball guy", and I think that he is a decent manager, if not a tough manager.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Most people? I thought MOST people visit theme parks for rides, not Meet and Greets. I think catering to the little girl demo may be one of the reasons that people who don't go, don't go.
They might not be the reason people go, but they are a huge piece of the puzzle. The meet n greets are mindbogglingly popular among most guests. If TDO could drop them tomorrow they would because they are labor hogs and their guest per hour numbers are simply pitiful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom