Trip Report To Disneyland, with Love: A June 2013 Trip Report

What can I say, Disneyland?! I’m writing you this love letter because you managed to steal a little piece of my heart. The time we spent with you last summer was unbelievably magical for this little family of ours.

Seeing how long it’s been since my last trip report, I may be a new face to some of you! I’m Holly and traveling with me are my dreamer of a husband, Brett, and our little dreamboat, Lucas. More than ever, we’re loving life as a party of three. A little background for those of you who may not be aware… in June Brett completed a five-month professional internship with the Walt Disney Company. Over the course of those five months, Lucas and I were only able to spend a total of seven days with him. To say we missed the man would be the understatement of the century. And I feel certain this is why Disneyland settled so sweetly within my heart, it was the adventure that landed in our laps mere days after his return.

So, how’d this happen? Well, in early June a work-related trip to the west coast came across my desk. Not wanting to miss out on a great opportunity, I floated the idea out to Brett and we decided we must throw caution to the wind, pack up our tiny little human, and hop on a plane bound for Anaheim. There was a new adventure awaiting us on the horizon.

I booked our flights on June 12th and five days later we were en route to LAX. How’s that for last minute?! There was no planning, no spending days pouring over park maps and guidebooks, no stressing out over every last detail of the trip, and no perusing the internet for all the must-dos. There was none of that. What there was though was an excitement for something new, something unknown and magical waiting just for us. Can I let you in on a little secret? These are my FAVORITE kind of trips!

This trip report is for you, Disneyland, your magical highness!

IMG_7399.jpg

MillerPoppins

Holly!!! I honestly could not be happier for you and that little family of yours! Between finally getting to experience Disneyland and of course moving down to FL, my heart is bursting with excitement for you! I still am trying to get around to doing my recent Disneyland trip report, but yours has given me the push! Let me know if you need anything!

Disney_Belle

Wonderful report! I too am planning a trip to Disneyland at the end of April! (After cycling through decisions on doing Disneyland, WDW or DCL - DL won). This trip report has me so excited for it! I haven't been since 2011. I was there for about 2 1/2 days for training with Tammy and another agent so I didn't get much park time. But what I do remember is walking through the gates for the first time. I was so very excited. And wandering without a park map was so awesome. It was all so strangely familiar. DCA was a pretty big mess at that point so I can't wait to go back and see it all done!

You have a beautiful family! I loved all of your pictures. I think they perfectly capture what Disneyland is - charming, enchanting and magical. I completely fell in love it.

Kristia

Awesome trip report Holly!!! I was so happy to hop on the trip report area and see one from you. Congratulations to Brett on his new job with Disney! That is so exciting!

imagination30

holly , awesome trip report ... it helped , me make it to Disney world , for my first wdw marathon weekend , and now I Just finished reading it .. and im dreaming of my next goal Disney land..

PartOfYourWorld

Holly! I was so happy to find this trip report just waiting to be read!

First and foremost the three of you are such a beautiful family :) Love the picture of the three of you in front of the castle.

This trip report has me so excited to go to Disneyland (2015!) Definitely looking forward to seeing what's on the other coast! Just to walk in Walt's footsteps is going to make me go ballistic!

I am so so happy you guys had a great time!

One of my favorite pics that sticks out in my mind is the one with Lucas and Belle, he is looking at her like "lady what the heck are you doing here; get away from me" hahaha I'm sure his mind will change soon enough ;)

Thanks for taking us along and writing this trip report!!!!!

Seeeeee you reeeealllll soon ;)

HollyBelle

Original Poster
That was an absolutely fantastic trip report!

Thanks, @mcstensrud !

Loved your report, Holly!! Excellent photos and Lucas is so cute!

Thanks so much, @disneyfan1995 !

Loved it!

The ROARING and ice cream pictures are great...but I LOL'd at the one of Lucas and Belle. He looks sort of confused/disgusted.

I REALLY want to get to Disneyland someday...girls weekend?! :D

Thanks, Shannon! Those are two of my favorite shots, as well. And yeah, Lucas wasn't quite sure what to think of Belle. And she was gorgeous!

Girls weekend to the west coast?! I'm down! Maybe @Disneyfalcon and @sweetpee_1993 can start planning that one next. :)

Awesome report, Holly! I couldn't possibly be MORE excited for April to get here so I can experience it first hand! If it wasn't for wdwmagic, I don't think I ever would have thought about going there. And now the flights are booked, hotel is booked... It's really happening! Woooooo!!

Lucas is just so adorable! I can't wait to meet him, hopefully someday soon with you going to be living so close to the world and all ;) Perfect opportunity for a meet up!! :)

Thanks, Darolyn! Don't you just love it when a trip comes together. So glad you are going... it won't disappoint! And yes, Lucas has lots of Disney aunts to meet. I wish we were already there so we could meet up when you're down in February, but hopefully by your next trip!

So happy to see a report from you!! What a gorgeous family you have! Seeing Disney with a child is so different and soooo wonderful. We enjoy seeing it with our now almost 7 year old grandson. Best of luck with the move to Florida. What is Brett's job going to be? Hope to someday bump into you in WDW. Have been following your reports since the wedding. It was so beautiful and touching!

Thank you so much, @AJ's B . You're so right about that... experiencing Disney through Lucas' eyes has been so much fun and I only expect it will get even better.

Brett is a pricing analyst for the Theme Parks and Resorts line of business. I'm excited for him because he's not only working for his dream company, but he really loves the type of work, as well.

Very charming report. Thank you for sharing. As the mom of a nearly-2.5-year-old, I know how hard it can be to carve out time for writing. ;)

Thanks, @SarahBella82 ! I've struggled finding time to write, but I enjoy it so much I think it's necessary for my sanity. Haha... I bet 2 1/2 requires even more energy!

Yay! Great TR :)

Thanks, Joanna!

Thank you for writing this TR! We are toying with the idea of going to Disneyland for our next Disney vacation so reading your report has been helpful. I have been once but when I was a tween so I don't remember much. I do remember Toads Wild Ride and how insignificant the castle looked compared to Cindy's castle in Florida.

Definitely go for it, @acrab3t ! I think any Disney fan should visit the other parks if and when it's possible. You're so right about the castle, even though I thought I was prepared for it's small stature, it still surprised me just how quaint it is by comparison to Cinderella's.

I enjoyed reading this, thank you for posting.

Thanks, @raven24 !!

So glad to see another HollyBelle TR! You're such a great writer, and photos are awesome, too.

BTW...Congrats to Brett for living his dream of working for the Mouse. It seems that there's a wonderful adventure on the horizon for the 3 of you.

Thanks so much, @mousefreak ! The horizon is looking quite good right now... I'm incredibly proud of Brett for putting himself out there and going after what he wants professionally!

Caught up! I'm sooooo happy you're trip reporting again!! :)
5 days notice? Good gravy! I'm impressed woman! And I love the spontaneity! I'm so glad you made it to my "home" park. And not surprised at all that you loved it.
Grand Californian is my favorite Disney hotel stateside. It's the best. And I'm not a huge fan of Wilderness Lodge. The Grand Californian is just awesome. The location can not be beat. It can't!
The time change when visiting Disneyland from the East Coast is brutal. Every morning I'm wide awake at 5:30 and ready for bed every night at 8. It's so hard!
The parade view - oh my.
I loved the old entrance to DCA. I really hate that they took away the letters. I've got so many fun pics of my kids in the letters! The new entrance is just not exciting. Love Buena Vista street and Carthay though.
You had so many wonderful pictures. Wonderful moments that you caught! I loved the pics with Chip and dale, and Lucas in the Nemo sub. The excitement he showed with Rex is adorable!
I loved the report, and I'm so happy for you and for your next adventure! Here's hoping the house sells quick! :)

Thanks, Tammy!

The five day notice turned out to be a good thing... less time for stressing over the travel arrangements! For a split second I thought maybe it would be too much of a hassle and wondered if we shouldn't go and then I reminded myself that there's no reason to wait for Lucas to be "older" for us to enjoy adventures. So we packed him up.

I think the time change was our nemesis on this trip. But at that point, I was pretty well adjusted to getting absolutely no sleep.

Grand Californian is on my must-stay list now. That's high praise coming from you, considering the Wilderness Lodge doesn't make the list for you. Although, I bet the room refurbs will make a huge difference at WL. Can't wait to find out if that's true.

I think you nailed it when you said the new entrance just isn't exciting. Very blah! Wish I could've seen those letters. And that picture of Lucas pointing out Chip's nose... I hope he stays that curious about the characters and doesn't go through a phase where he's afraid of them.

Fingers crossed on the house... we've had a good bit of showings lately, so I'm hoping an offer comes in soon!

I just caught up, too. I'm with @derelicte19, I didn't think I could be more excited about going west or on a parks vacation but your report raises the itchy-pants level in a big way.

Oooohh...you know, I've had my heart set on the Disneyland Hotel for so long but your description of the Grand Californian and how it's like staying IN the park has me totally rethinking this! Ugh! I want it ALL!!! LOL!

The pic of Lucas with Belle is great. His expression is such a contrast to Belle's. And I do believe that's the most gorgeous Belle ever. Well, I dunno, she may have a little too good of a tan for the role but her facial beauty is spot-on. No room to debate if it's a dude or not. Not that we've ever had that conversation about a face character.....:angelic:

I have solid memories of Toad. What did Brett think? I know he must have remembered it from WDW, too. Right?

I so want to get Tracey the Rex pillow pet! He loves Rex. Lucas and his roaring is the cutest! You capture these random little moments so well. Do you live with your camera around your neck for this???

I enjoyed your relaxed pace. Definitely seems like you've found your Disney Momma & Disney Daddy legs. I commend your determination to not give up. You're much braver than me to attempt the parks with a baby to begin with. But to have the road bumps and keep truckin' is truly commendable. And now your persistence pays! WooHOOOO!!! Maybe Mickey had a little convo with Lucas on the down-low tellin' him to get ready for your next grand family adventure!

Your jet lagged Lucas pic was a great closer. You have such a brilliance for storytelling and expression. I've said it before and I'll say it again: you're a brilliant, amazing girl with a creative streak that sets you apart. It's truly a gift. I hope someday to see you take that and bring it to the world (the whole world, not just Disney World) like you mentioned when we chatted in Meridian.

Thanks for sharing another installment of Brett's & your happily-ever-after. :inlove::inlove::inlove:

Me thinks you need a split stay, Kelly! A couple nights at the Disneyland Hotel followed by a few nights at the Grand. Good idea, right?! I think so!

Yeah, Belle was absolutely gorgeous. Most gorgeous princess I've seen in a looooooong time. Haha... conversations about the princesses testosterone levels. Funny!

I can't remember Brett's thoughts on Toad all too much, but he did keep saying it was like a nostalgia bomb from his childhood. I think it's one of those things he doesn't miss, but remembers fondly.

I do pretty much live with my camera within arm's reach. And never fear, when the camera isn't nearby my phone always is. :) I managed to only miss a handful of days (10-12) during my 365 project. Pretty proud of that!

I think the relaxed pace fits us and where we are in our life currently. And thank you for all the sweet thoughts and words, I'm really excited to see what happens next. I definitely want to start writing and photographing more that's for sure! And I think the new surroundings will be just the place to do so. :) Loved our little talk in Meridian! You're the best.

Loved your report! Just think, now you will be able to get CM discounts to travel to the parks! So exciting! What kid of job did your husband get with Disney?

Thanks, @stevehousse ! I'm excited about those CM discounts. Already putting one to good use for Princess Weekend in February.

Brett is doing pricing analytics for Theme Parks and Resorts.

Great trip report!! I guess I wont we in DLC in this lifetime it was great to see all the pictures! Loved the evening pictures from the new Cars land!!

Thanks, @FlaggNL . Cars Land is insane at night... the neon is just perfect!

Well, dang. I feel so horribly guilty that you got your trip report done and mine is sadly still not finished lol. I guess I will continue to work on it (if I can remember back to July :()

Your little man is just too cute. We got Luke a Rex plush in his stocking last year (love me some Rex, he is adorable) and he sits on top of his dresser. Every morning when I go in to get him, he points and "rawrs" at him so I have to get him down every single day :). He also rawrs at Brucie, (I guess it's the ferocious looking teeth? ha).

I have been wanting to go to Disneyland so bad. And my hubby says he has no desire to, which is very sad for me. :( But he has agreed to do Disney World again this summer, which he was against before last year, so baby steps I suppose. (He also booked us at the Poly, so I guess I'm coming out on top this year!)

What is it like flying with a little man? Do you book him a seat? Or sit on your lap? Does the pressure bother him? And does he get bored? I'm a little nervous about that part.

Pictures are fantastic as always. The Mickey waffle just about made me drool.

Hi, @meganw1985 !! Haha... my trip report is 6+ months after the fact and there are four unfinished ones in the recesses of my hard drive. Plus a girls' cruise report waiting patiently to be posted, so I'd say you're doing just fine. ;)

Lucas is the same way with a small Woody doll sitting on his dresser. He wakes up every morning and before I go in his room I can hear him on the monitor repeating all the Toy Story characters by name from Woody and Buzz to Potato Head, Slinky, Zurg, Stinky Pete and everyone in between. Seriously! We love all things Toy Story around here.

A trip to the Poly is in your future... you're one lucky woman! As for Disneyland, @Ariel484 had a great idea... girls trip! Let's do it!!

Flying with Lucas has been interesting. The kid has definitely earned his wings... he's been on twelve flights to date! The flights pre first birthday were a little easier than the most recent one, just because I could nurse him and he was smaller and less interested in moving around. This past November we relied pretty heavily on the iPad (thankfully some of the airlines now let you use your mobile devices throughout takeoff and everything). As for the boredom aspect, the iPad helps, we pack a lot of snacks, and I try to book times that match up with his schedule.

They can fly free of charge as a "lap child" up until the age of two so that's what we've done. With two people this isn't bad because he can go back and forth between us. I'll be flying with him again in February and it will be the first time doing it solo (with layovers in ATL both ways YIKES). Properly packing the carry-on is going to be key. And it'll be exhausting that's for sure, but I think like so many other things... it's all about having a positive attitude and seeing it as an adventure. I'll let you know if I'm still singing the same tune when we land in Florida next month!! ;)

What an AWESOME TR!!!
Love your little man ... he is adorable. Love the pics with his daddy & their "drinky drinks" :D
Your family is beautiful ... as are your pictures!!!
Thank you for sharing!
Y'all look so happy ... CHERISH the memories ... :inlove: they grow soooo fast !!!

Thank you so much, @lbrad ! The drinky drink photo is one of my favorites, too. I hear it only keeps speeding up with each passing day, month, and year, so I'm hanging on tight!

Amazing trip report Holly! You are a beautiful family :)

Thank you so much, @djpoore94 . You're too kind!

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Holly!!! I honestly could not be happier for you and that little family of yours! Between finally getting to experience Disneyland and of course moving down to FL, my heart is bursting with excitement for you! I still am trying to get around to doing my recent Disneyland trip report, but yours has given me the push! Let me know if you need anything!

Karen!!! I'm just so sad you're not still there. I remember talking with you on the phone about a year ago and May 2014 seemed incredibly far away... it's just around the corner now. Let me know when you'll be back!

Please tell me that you pushed the button!

You know what, @dragwit ? I don't think I pushed the button... if I did, I can't remember what it does. Guess I'll just have to go back. ;)

Wonderful report! I too am planning a trip to Disneyland at the end of April! (After cycling through decisions on doing Disneyland, WDW or DCL - DL won). This trip report has me so excited for it! I haven't been since 2011. I was there for about 2 1/2 days for training with Tammy and another agent so I didn't get much park time. But what I do remember is walking through the gates for the first time. I was so very excited. And wandering without a park map was so awesome. It was all so strangely familiar. DCA was a pretty big mess at that point so I can't wait to go back and see it all done!

You have a beautiful family! I loved all of your pictures. I think they perfectly capture what Disneyland is - charming, enchanting and magical. I completely fell in love it.

Thanks @Disney_Belle ! You are so right... I think charming and enchanting describe it so well. And that feeling of strange familiarity really is something, isn't it? I loved it! Have fun in April! I'm sure you'll really enjoy California Adventure, as well.

Awesome trip report Holly!!! I was so happy to hop on the trip report area and see one from you. Congratulations to Brett on his new job with Disney! That is so exciting!

Thanks, Kristy! It's been a whirlwind kind of year.

holly , awesome trip report ... it helped , me make it to Disney world , for my first wdw marathon weekend , and now I Just finished reading it .. and im dreaming of my next goal Disney land..

Thanks, @imagination30 . WDW Marathon weekend is awesome... I hope you enjoyed it. Disneyland is just around the corner. ;)

Holly! I was so happy to find this trip report just waiting to be read!

First and foremost the three of you are such a beautiful family :) Love the picture of the three of you in front of the castle.

This trip report has me so excited to go to Disneyland (2015!) Definitely looking forward to seeing what's on the other coast! Just to walk in Walt's footsteps is going to make me go ballistic!

I am so so happy you guys had a great time!

One of my favorite pics that sticks out in my mind is the one with Lucas and Belle, he is looking at her like "lady what the heck are you doing here; get away from me" hahaha I'm sure his mind will change soon enough ;)

Thanks for taking us along and writing this trip report!!!!!

Seeeeee you reeeealllll soon ;)

Jess!! Thanks for reading. That castle picture cracks me up... Lucas is totally over us. I'm glad you've got a trip in the works for 2015... I'm sure it'll be here before you know it.

Did you say you were staying at the Poly in February?! Me thinks there need to be drinks at the Tambu Lounge. @Howe @Ariel484 @plaz10

meeskamickey

As always, great trip report! Glad to hear that you got most of your pictures back. I love taking pictures so losing pics would be my worst nightmare!

Lucas is too cute! I have a little red haired girl and she's gotten compliments on her hair since she was born. My husband and I have brown hair so her hair color was a real surprise!

Congrats on Brett's job! Hope your house sells quickly so you can all be together again!

PartOfYourWorld

Jess!! Thanks for reading. That castle picture cracks me up... Lucas is totally over us. I'm glad you've got a trip in the works for 2015... I'm sure it'll be here before you know it.

Did you say you were staying at the Poly in February?! Me thinks there need to be drinks at the Tambu Lounge. @Howe @Ariel484 @plaz10

Yes I will be staying at the Poly!!! :D Figured with no parks, it's a perfect time to enjoy the resorts besides just some little races I'm doing ;) I 100% agree drinks will be in order there!!!! I can try this famous Island Sunset you guys talk about!!!

PolynesianPrincess

YAY!! Add another WDWMagic girl to the mix!! Between you, me and @sweetpee_1993 hopefully we can convince @Disneyfalcon to come to DL too ;) It'll be a mini WDWMagic Girls Reunion!!

sweetpee_1993

YAY!! Add another WDWMagic girl to the mix!! Between you, me and @sweetpee_1993 hopefully we can convince @Disneyfalcon to come to DL too ;) It'll be a mini WDWMagic Girls Reunion!!
Tammy told me she was gonna try to get out to DL while we're there. Not sure if I've given her dates. I may have. It'd be very cool to have a bit of a meet going on! Looks like enough of us will be there!

Disneyfalcon

LisaBelle

Loved your TR. In fact I liked it so much I went back and read all (I think) of your previous trip reports. Loved them all. Especially your wedding TR. It was fun to follow you and Brett on your journey. As an added plus I could read the entire report without having to wait on the updates. Thanks for sharing all of your trips with us.
Lucas is such a cutie!

pcrum

Great report, as always! And am I reading correctly that you are (or may already have) moved to O-town?? Welcome to the neighborhood!! While my kids are Disney passholders, I don't get to the parks very often. But, it's nice living so close to WDW to enjoy the resort restaurants and Downtown Disney!! I'm sure you are also happy to be so close to the cruise ports!! Your little guy is just adorable and I know you will make many happy memories by taking him to the parks. I really enjoyed going with my twins (who are now 19!) and some of our happiest memories were spent inside of WDW! Congratulations to your husband on his new job and welcome to Orlando (or Kissimmee, Windermere or Celebration, wherever you end up!!)

TakeMeThere81

Hey Holly! I know that this trip happened over a year ago and you wrote it oh...5 months ago? Well I enjoyed it anyway! I, like you, have not been on the boards at all for quite a while. I think a year and a half or something. But here we are, our family transferred to San Diego, CA a year ago now! We haven't visited Disneyland yet, but a trip is in the plans. Living here is super duper crazy expensive. We do a lot of stuff here in the great SD, but so far no major other trips. Ok sorry for rambling.

I am really itching for a trip to DLR so I enjoyed your report! Have you been on other trips since this one?

Here are my notes:

I love the picture of the boys and their drinks (post #7). That is classic!

I agree about Sleeping Beauty Castle...when we first went back to DLR after living on the Gulf Coast and visiting WDW so much that it was kind of underwhelming at first, but I am a west-coast girl born and raised so DLR has always been my place (way before they added the R to DLR). Sleeping Beauty has a charm all her own.

The esplanade is awesome! There is nothing like standing smack dab in the middle of the entire resort and choosing which way to go. It's awesome.

Indiana Jones is the best! I remember way back when I was in middle school and it first opened. The hieroglyphics on the walls are actually coded messages related to the theme. When you would enter the queue they would give you a decoder card. This way while you were waiting for an hour+ you had something to do.

The Grand Californian's proximity and accessability to DCA is awesome! There is nothing like it! Our last trip in the heat of the day we grabbed FPs for Grizzly River Run then just sat in the lobby there with drinks listening to the piano player while the kids watched "old school" 80's Disney cartoons. It was awesome.

That being said for some reason that Condor Flats area gets blazing hot in the afternoon sun. Perhaps it is a coincidence and we happen to walk that way to ride Grizzly River Run or something during those hours but I distinctively remember that area getting really hot any time we have visited.

I agree with Brett, Roger Rabbit is a lame ride. I'm not a fan of the movie either though so I am a bit biased. I also love Mike & Sulley to the Rescue though!

I'm so glad you guys got to experience this park for the first time. Congratulations on all of the things happening in your lives and I hope by now your house sold and you have rejoined your man in FL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom