TL Wave Pool Malfunctions

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
I was at TL yesterday. I spent a lot of time bodysurfing in the wave pool. Several times throughout the day after a wave would come, some wood would come out as well. The lifeguards would have to go in and pull out the floating timbers. The biggest one I saw was a 2x4 that was about 3 feet long. They actually shut the wave machine off for about a half hour in the early afternoon. I saw some maintenance guys walking around down at the end of the pool. I would assume the wood would have to have been coming from some sort of framing inside the wave tanks, maybe a maintenance platform or something. Im sure no part of the actual mechanism is made from wood because the corrosion issues would be atrocious. Does anyone who works at TL know what exactly is going on with the wave machine.

elabron

Seeing a few stray pieces of wood should not lead to the conclusion that the wave pool is "falling apart".

Require attention, yes, horrible disaster imminent - doubtful.

I would consider a kid getting smacked upside the head with a 2x4 horrible. :lol:
Unless the kid deserved it.

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
Seeing a few stray pieces of wood should not lead to the conclusion that the wave pool is "falling apart".

In what case would you classify something as falling apart then? In my world, falling apart means when something is deteriorating....when something falls off my car, whether its a climate control or my bumper...its falling apart.

As far as the wave pool is concerned, a lot of stuff can happen before wood starts coming out into the pool.

k.hunter30

If the OP is correct in assuming it is coming from the wave pool, parts of it were falling off and into the water...
Um, yeah, I'd say it's safe to say it's falling apart...:shrug:

ToTBellHop

Listen people...This does not mean the place is falling apart. Do you people pay attention at all? Typhoon Lagoon was just hit by a hurricane and you freak out at a little driftwood? They can't even get buildings upright or the ship off Mt. Mayday and you complain about a little driftwood? Show a little compassion toward the locals. Let them rebuild their homes and places of employment before they ensure the dam they built to prevent further flooding doesn't allow a few pieces of wood to come through every now and again.

Next, they'll complain that the Hollywood Tower Hotel could use some cleaning and structural work because it's "falling apart."

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
The problem is the assumption.

No, its not an assumption....there were at least a half dozen occasions throughout the day that wood came out of the wave machine. Its enough occurrences to justify a correlation between the actions of the wave machine and the appearance of the wood. Not to mention that they shut down the machine for a while in the afternoon after a 2x4 was spat out.

GeneralKnowledge

Original Poster
to chime in as per your two past quotes you an idiot
small chunks of wood after a storm are completely normal and if you own a ford so is your climate control

not sure if you're serious or not, but the guy talking about a hurricane at TL was joking about the parks theme. There have been no hurricanes to hit our area for quite some time now...not to mention its not hurricane season.

Thanks for calling me an idiot though...i guess maybe I should quit my engineering career and go back to get an english degree so I can teach you a thing or two.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Typhoon Lagoon HAS been open almost 20 years.

I don't know if any major work has ever been done on the wave machine, but it sounds to me like it's time.

jmvd20

In what case would you classify something as falling apart then? In my world, falling apart means when something is deteriorating....when something falls off my car, whether its a climate control or my bumper...its falling apart.

As far as the wave pool is concerned, a lot of stuff can happen before wood starts coming out into the pool.

You said yourself you have no idea where the wood came from, therefore how do you know anything is falling apart?

How do you know it wasn't pieces of shipping pallet from a new pump being installed? Fact is we dont know what it was from and therefore claiming TL is "falling apart" is a major stretch.

If there was any imminent danger of the pool, or mount Mayday to suddenly collapse they would have cleared the pool.

A screw head popping through the drywall in your bedroom ceiling does not mean you have to bulldoze the home and start all over, at least in my world...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom