Tips on bringing DSLR cameras to the Disney Parks

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
In my upcoming trip, I plan on bringing my big and bulky Canon T3i DSLR camera. I'd like to take a lot of nice photos while I am there. I don't want to just have photos of my girlfriend and I standing in front of the castle. I want to use my artistic ability with a camera and take photos of all the different sceneries and landscapes at Disney World.

Do any of you have experience walking through the parks with a DSLR camera? I want to know the best ways about lugging it every day. I figured bringing one lens would do the trick so I wouldn't have to carry so much equipment. I will also bring a small tripod for the fireworks at night. Any tips would be very helpful. Thanks!

bgraham34

You might want to ask in the photography board, but I always bring my camera bag. I am going to get the backpack one soon but have not pulled the button on it.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
You are a brave sole to set up a tripod during the fireworks with all those little kids and people that just plow over each other to get a seat. Good luck.

Haha, I wouldn't be using a huge tripod. It would only be a spyder tripod that its about ten inches tall. I would find a place to rest it on and thats if I decide to even use it.

PolynesianPrincess

I bring a sling backpack that has my extra lens, memory cards, shutter release and filters. It also has room for me to put my camera in it on attractions I know I won't need it on as well as it has a place to put a tripod. It's a compact sized tri-pod and fits perfectly in the compartment. It can be cumbersome but I like taking pictures so it works for me.

PolynesianPrincess

You are a brave sole to set up a tripod during the fireworks with all those little kids and people that just plow over each other to get a seat. Good luck.

When I set up, I try and stand right behind the walkway between Casey's and the ice cream parlor. That way there is no one in front of me to back into it and my mom and sister on either side of me to prevent anyone from hitting it. Nothing has ever happened *knock on wood* Will be trying it again in a few days!

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Maybe I'll bring a sling backpack with me then, it seems like the best bet. I had shoulder surgery in June and I know wouldn't be able to carry a backpack around all day. I was thinking about bring mountain trail pack ( pack) that would possible fit my camera but I decided not to do that.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I've kept the stock 18-55 lens on the t3i whilein the world. It becomes more of a hassle to lug alot of camera equipment around for 10+ hours.

I agree, I will only bring my stock lens with me but the only time I will bring my bigger lens is when I go to Animal Kingdom

rodmansju

i brought my dSLR to WDW for our 2009 and 2011 trips. i left it home this year.

i had a sling bag for it, and i kept the 16-45 on it pretty much exclusively, though for Kiliminjaro i broke out a longer one.

that said, for this trip. we used a sony nex5. small mirrorless, sweet pictures. its so nice not lugging that sling bag around (i already have 4 kids of my own under 7 to deal with, one less bag is nice).

i took a bunch of pictures of the fireworks, from my balcony at BLT and from the bridge between BLC and CR, and handheld they still came out acceptably nice. yes, if i had my primes and a tripod i am sure they'd be razor sharp..but no complaints.

go for as light as you can go....

fractal

i had a sling bag for it, and i kept the 16-45 on it pretty much exclusively, though for Kiliminjaro i broke out a longer one.

that said, for this trip. we used a sony nex5. small mirrorless, sweet pictures. its so nice not lugging that sling bag around (i already have 4 kids of my own under 7 to deal with, one less bag is nice).

i took a bunch of pictures of the fireworks, from my balcony at BLT and from the bridge between BLC and CR, and handheld they still came out acceptably nice. yes, if i had my primes and a tripod i am sure they'd be razor sharp..but no complaints.

I've used an NEX-3 and NEX-7 on my last few trips. Real pleasure to carry around.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes

It is just my girlfriend and I so it will be easy to carry around for the most part. I know if I don't bring it, I will regret it.

rodmansju

It is just my girlfriend and I so it will be easy to carry around for the most part. I know if I don't bring it, I will regret it.

i admit i had that mentality too. but from 2009 to 2011, i left lenses out. and from 2011 to 2013, i left the whole dang kit at home. my 2 cents...if you plan on going on rides too....stick with it as small as you can, because regardless of who you have with you, its just nice to travel light.

for trips in general-not just with the camera gear, ive gotten into a habit of, after the trip, looking over what i really needed or used. some things, like backup cards and batteries, deserve a spot. but if i brought both a fisheye and a wide angle lens and used neither....well...yea. i did that in 2009. brought like, every lens i owned, and the 16-45 barely came off the camera. if i had money, i could have grabbed one of the 18-250 types and never swapped lenses at all.

either way, have fun and be sure to share the pictures...my dslr carrying days may not be over..but they are on a long pause!

rodmansju

I've used an NEX-3 and NEX-7 on my last few trips. Real pleasure to carry around.

in addition to being so compact, they take really amazing pictures. i got that for my wife to sort of semi-retire my dSLR (pentax k-7), because i was tired of the complaints about all the camera stuff i lugged around, or it being too confusing for her to use. her other go-to is a sony waterproof point and shoot, which is a couple years old and destined for upgrade soon.

i did actually buy a 3rd party lens adapter so i could use some of my pentax glass on it, but honestly, since i bought the nex5, i have not yet even opened the adapter. the stock 18-55 lens or whatever came with it has been plenty for what she uses it for.

KeithVH

Get an OpTech compression foam strap if nothing else. Worth every penny.

The comfort of carrying the body and bag will be inversely proportional to the heat and humidity levels. As those go higher, comfort really drops, especially over time. Be very careful of taking the camera out of a room that's been A/C'd overnight into a humid day - you're just begging for condensation on the inside.

Really be honest with yourself, think things through, and take only what you absolutely need.

Take a P&S as backup!!!!!!!!!!!! Take the DLSR in the AM when you're ready and rarin' to go. When you come back to the room in the afternoon and you're beat, drop it off and take the small one instead when you go out again. Depending on how long you're staying, I'll bet by the time you get to the fifth day, you'll be doing nothing but the P&S.

traylorc

To be honest, I'm a pack mule when it comes to hauling my photo equipment around Disney. I generally have two camera bodies and multiple lenses on me the majority of the time...and I don't mind it one bit.

WDW is one of the most photogenic places on the planet, and I want the flexibility to deal with any situation. But I acknowledge that my approach will not work for everyone. At the end of the day, only the pictures matter. :happy:

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
To be honest, I'm a pack mule when it comes to hauling my photo equipment around Disney. I generally have two camera bodies and multiple lenses on me the majority of the time...and I don't mind it one bit.

WDW is one of the most photogenic places on the planet, and I want the flexibility to deal with any situation. But I acknowledge that my approach will not work for everyone. At the end of the day, only the pictures matter. :happy:

Haha I admire you. I think my girlfriend would be ed if I was lugging that all around. Not that I would want too

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom