Tips for planning a stay at Dolphin/Swan

Mommychef4

We are looking at staying at the Dolphin in June. So I would be doing dining reservations one day at a time?Correct? As soon as I book my room reservation and get the confirmation should I go ahead and add that reservation into MDE account? Then when I purchase my tickets just link them the same way? Can i purchase tickets via the Disney website? I've done a resort stay at Art of Animation, but never at the Dolphin. Trying to prepare myself as we're a group of 8. :) Also, we have a group of 8. The 2 grandparents want their own separate room, that leaves 2 adults and 4 kids age 13,11,9, and 3, suggestions for which room would best suit us?

Mommychef4

Original Poster
Yes to all questions.

I'm not sure about room type.

Be aware that you don't get the benefit of Magical Express, if that matters to you.

I'm sure we will be driving, as we are just coming from Tennessee. In laws will be flying but will probably just taxi there. I'm nervous booking a not Disney Resort but MIL has marriot/starwood points and perks. Is there a hugely noticeable difference? The other option is to look into DVC rental points. Which do you think is better? Thanks!

Upvote 0

bee

I've stayed at the Dolphin twice and the Swan once, and I have a stay at the Swan coming up. The most noticeable difference from a resort like AoA is the lack of overt Disney theming. You will also likely see some convention attendees. Neither of these bothered us.

I have only stayed with my wife so I can't speak to staying with a larger group. I know suites are available but I'm not sure about the cost and you may be better off just getting three rooms (one for grandparents and dividing up the remaining adults and kids).

With SPG membership you can get 5% off the lowest available rate if you're logged in when booking or call and give your member number. I also recommend booking the lowest rate with cancellation available and periodically checking for new availability because new rooms are often released into the system closer to travel Sqxxx

Be aware that the hotel charges a nightly parking fee per car unlike other Disney resorts. There is also a mandatory nightly resort fee per room. Even with these extra fees the room rate is significantly cheaper than the nearby Disney resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht/Beach Club).

Upvote 0

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
More Swolphin stuff..

So, some background on the Swan and Dolphin: The Swolphin both is and isn't a Disney hotel. Basically, Disney is letting an outside hotel chain run a Disney resort rather than run it themselves. They did this to attract conventioneers who were used to hotel chains and had points with them (originally Westin and Sheraton, both bought out by Starwood, which is now bought out by Marriott).

It is a Disney resort:

* Disney advertises the Swolphin as a Disney resort on their site and it shows up in resort searches.
* Disney has a say in how they operate.
* Disney characters show up for their character meals.
* Disney gets a share of their earnings.
* Disney provides free transportation within 'the bubble' (buses and ferries, but not Magical Express to/from the airport).
* Disney staffs their Disney ticket center.
* If you stay at the Swolphin, parking is free at the parks (but not at the Swolphin itself).
* You get Extended Magic Hours
* You get the 60 day window for FastPasses.
* Park purchases can be sent to the Swolphin for pick-up later.
* You get all the golfing perks of staying at a Disney Resort

It is not fully Disney:

* You can use Starwood/Marriott points there, which you can't at other Disney resorts.
* The accounting system is separate which means you can't charge to room at the parks.
* They don't do MagicBands (no free ones, no MB door unlocking, but, you can buy your own or use old ones from other visits).
* They charge for parking at the Swolphin (other Disney resorts don't charge for parking at the resort).
* They have a mandatory resort fee (unless you bought a package deal, like from CostCo, in which the resort fee is waived or included).
* You don't have Magic Express to/from the airport (but you do have free bus and ferry within the Disney bubble).

As a convention resort, the clientele is more adults and less children. Occasionally, the lobby will be full of conventioneers moving to their next event. And it's cheaper than the other resorts on Crescent Lake (the lake between Epcot and Hollywood Studios). Often $200 a night or more cheaper.

It is very much a Deluxe resort. It has high class restaurants and shops. Excellent pools. A spa. Character dining. A gym. Children's activity center. Full room service. Full business class services. People argue over whether it's appropriately themed enough to be a Deluxe. While you're not going to get a bed shaped like a pirate ship, it's as nice as the Contemporary or Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, or Floridian whose theming is nothing more than fine architecture and art. And the Swolphin has that, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, you can walk to two parks. I love that. And you can walk to any of the fine restaurants/bars of the other resorts on the lake including the BoardWalk.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dolphin over the Swan. Mostly because most of the amenities (completely shared by the two... same owner) are in the Dolphin: gym, laundromat, all-night cafeteria, ice cream shop, grab & go food store (Fuel). The Swan is just slightly more luxe than the Dolphin, but, I'd rather not carry laundry to another building.

Upvote 0

Mommychef4

Original Poster
Thank you all SO much. This is very helpful. I don't know that I love the layout of the suites, but multiple rooms may be another great option!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom