Tipping housekeeping with coins

higgipoker

Original Poster
Is there anything wrong with leaving part of the tip in coins? We like to leave a couple of dollars per day for housekeeping and on 2 occasions so far I have left half of it in quarters. Both times I left coins the tip wasn’t taken. What’s up?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Is there anything wrong with leaving part of the tip in coins? We like to leave a couple of dollars per day for housekeeping and on 2 occasions so far I have left half of it in quarters. Both times I left coins the tip wasn’t taken. What’s up?

That's odd--money is money. Can't figure out why the coins were left behind?

Epcotfan21

Maybe they don’t think it’s for them? Have you left a note with the coins specifying the change is for housekeeping?

CalEndley

I don't see anything wrong with coins at all. On a couple of occasions last time we left the tip, in clearly marked envelopes, but they were left behind. We thought this strange but guessed they just simply forgot to pick them up.

KBLovedDisney

Every time we leave tip in the room, I always make sure to put it on top of a note they can see that says something like, "Hey housekeepers! Here you go! Thanks!"

higgipoker

Original Poster
Hmm I guess if it’s different housekeepers each day they may not have known it was a tip. Just a coincidence it was only the days with coins involved!

Will leave a note every day from now and see how that goes. Thanks!

BuddyThomas

I don't think they can or should grab loose coins lying on a desk, because that might not be a tip, and can you just imagine what would happen if they took coins not intended as a tip and someone complained? They could very well lose their job.

As others have said, just stack 'em on top of a note that says "thanks" and they should easily realize it's for them. 😄

JIMINYCR

I always empty my pockets of loose change at the end of the day and leave it on the bureau or night stand as many people do. If its not specifically noted that the change is for their tip they are going to avoid pocketing it. Housekeepers have been accused of taking things before. Who wants to get fired over some change?

higgipoker

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback. FYI they took the coins when left with a thank you note... I ended up with a load of quarters after getting too excited with the change machine at the Frontierland shooting gallery 😂

Was concerned it might be considered rude in the US to leave coins as a tip... yeap, we brits STILL haven't got the hang of your tipping conventions! 😜

BuddyThomas

Thanks for all the feedback. FYI they took the coins when left with a thank you note... I ended up with a load of quarters after getting too excited with the change machine at the Frontierland shooting gallery 😂

Was concerned it might be considered rude in the US to leave coins as a tip... yeap, we brits STILL haven't got the hang of your tipping conventions! 😜
A lot of my fellow Americans have never gotten the hang of "tipping conventions" either. I say this from personal experience as someone who worked in the service industry (waiter, bartender, room steward on a cruise ship) during my 20's and 30's while my useless Bachelors Degree was rotting away in a closet, LOL.

toonaspie

When I was at Universal last year, I ended up with a bunch of leftover quarters from when we had to unexpectedly do laundry mid-trip. We had no small bills as everything during the trip was mainly paid via CC. So the quarters ended up being the sole tip upon checkout, with an apologetic note attached. :p

LauraRose

We done this some days and would always leave notes to say housekeeping but the change would be left. Sometimes we left notes and some change. They would take the note and leave change. Sometimes it was a few dollars worth in coins.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom