1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Tip when at WDW with 16 month old

Discussion in 'WDW with Kids' started by mdktf, May 7, 2017.

1. mdktf

mdktf Active Member

Hi,

We are very experienced WDW travellers but this summer will be the first with our 16 month old!

Any handy tips or things we should look out for or do?

Thanks.

2. TDGMedley

TDGMedley Active Member

We took my daughter last at 19 months and she did good. slept in stroller when she was tired and I did baby wear lot. she was heavy but made it easy. Just drop the stroller and got in line. Bring snacks, drinks, and something to do to pass the time. Not sure when your going but a fan on the stroller helps with the heat. Also use the baby care areas in each park they are nice and good place to cool off a little while you re-group.

mdktf likes this.
  3. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Plan on throwing all plans out the window. Figure out food options in advance, nothing's worse than trying to figure out where to get something they will eat when they are already hungry. Be comfortable with the stroller/carrier you will use. Figure out resting areas or plan on going back to nap/play at your hotel.

TDGMedley likes this.
  4. helenabear

helenabear Well-Known Member

No, you do not have to throw all plans out of the window with a toddler. In fact planning sit downs at regular meal times was helpful.

My son was still napping at that age so we repected the nap and brought him back to our villa. Not all children will stroller sleep, especially at the parks. We kept to his normal schedule and had a blast. We did carry snacks and water with us in case he got hungry. Nothing major though, pretzels or goldfish or the like.

At that age my son was too big to carry (on me at least) so he walked or used the stroller. It was a pretty easy age to take him actually. No where near as hard as some were saying it would be. I do think respecting his usual sleep and eating schedule (and type of foods too) kept things quite normal for us.

TDGMedley likes this.
  5. dreamfinder

dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Oh, by all means try to have a normal day. And sticking to something close to a normal routine will help, meals, naps, etc. But accept that you may very well be walking to ride Dumbo, and end up spending 45 mins wandering around staring at the elephant prints and peanuts embedded in the pavement. Or trying to wander around World Showcase and spend 20 mins gibbering at ducks. I've done 4 trips with a few different kids under 2yo, and would be lucky to make it to maybe 50% of booked FP. We have yet to successfully walk past the fountains in Epcot between FW and WS without stopping and playing for 15-20 minutes, and I now purposely detour one of the long ways when we have a timeline to keep. Enjoy the small kids stuff and just have fun.

Weather_Lady and jaklgreen like this.
  6. helenabear

I think every family is different. Not all kids want to do what yours did. Mine would rather see different things and never really was interested in fountains unless at the pools. We have never missed FP when we schedule them and never found scheduling a lunch was all that difficult to keep.

Maybe as a parent I just think that most assume life with a child is oh so different, and sometimes it's not. We aren't commandos in the least either, but I have never found having children makes 'normal life' not happen. Maybe our normal is just enjoying a stroll, but we also are good with "lunch time, gotta go" and my family just says okay and goes on to it. We stop to smell the roses plenty so to speak, but not if I want my lunch. Being a parent is about finding balances of letting your child be free and letting them know that we can come back and do what they want later if something is scheduled. If I have lunch scheduled, I want to keep it. We do so few ADRs as it is and don't go insane with FP+ either that for us the balance is to not schedule too much, and enjoy things, but when something is scheduled be there. It teaches them responsibility too. Vacations for us have never been about 'whatever the kids want' all the time. Sure they get a say but we balance all of our needs.

Last edited: May 9, 2017
    TDGMedley likes this.
  7. jaklgreen

jaklgreen Well-Known Member

We were actually a mix of what dreamfinder and helenabear said. We let the kids sleep in, had a relaxed breakfast then headed to the park. We have plenty of down time (not in line or on a ride) where we had the kids drink and snack and stretch their legs a bit. It is not just about fitting them into your life, it goes both way, you need to fit in your kids life too. And trust me, I am not one of those parents that makes my whole life just about my kids, but there are compromises both ways. Also, kids get visually over stimulated and do not process what they see the same way we do so we would go on a ride and then had some down time. But by all means, make your FPs and enjoy a nice meal but keep it balanced. Especially at that age, they don't understand "we have to do this now". They just want to touch the darn water. There is joy in the little moments too.

8. helenabear

Not sure why you said between me and the other poster as I never said we scheduled like crazy. In fact you just echoed a lot of what I said including the idea of balancing. Just because I won't skip a lunch ADR doesn't mean I don't let magic moments happen. I just don't let it carry on for long if we have somewhere to be, but I noticed at that age you can say "okay time for lunch" and they do understand. After all they are starting to use words to convey things and hunger is something they get ;)

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  9. jaklgreen

jaklgreen Well-Known Member

Don't skip ADRs, but also enjoy the little things, a mix of both.

helenabear likes this.
  10. helenabear

That's exactly what we do - and always have done.

jaklgreen likes this.
  11. Jared Augustine

Jared Augustine New Member

My 1 1/2 year old really enjoyed the Boneyard, the play area b/t BTMRR and Splash, Tom Sawyer Island, Mickey ice cream bar, etc. She really liked places she could be independent and not stuck in a stroller...haha. We found it best to keep our young children on their normal/routine schedule.

12. BigRedDad

BigRedDad Well-Known Member

If you plan to let him/her nap in the stroller, find the places that have AC to make it easier. Mom and/or dad may doze off for a few minutes too.

MK: Waiting area inside near Tony's plays movies and has places to sit. We always relaxed there. I can't remember if they let the stroller in.
    Epcot: End area of Nemo, TT, Soarin, and Mission Space are all good places to relax for nap.
    DHS: Star Wars Launch Bay (not sure if it is there now) use to be a character M&G area back there. It was wide open with seating that you could lounge at
    AK: Best place for rest is back at Rafiki's. The AC building is nice, you can sit and relax, and it is not too crazy.

In the end, if you really want the best bet, head back to the resort and nap there.

13. BrerWayne

BrerWayne Active Member

I took my three year old when he was 17 months. He got an ear infection the day we departed. Luckily my wife is good friends with a Pediatrician who diagnosed him and gave us a script for antibiotics that we picked up on the way to the airport. He did fine on the plane but was miserable much of the trip. My wife spent a lot of time with him in the baby care places that each of the parks have. They were clean and the staff were accommodating. In fact, the first aid staff let my wife nap him in first aid since nothing was going on so I could take my daughter around. They were a good option when he needed a break instead of going all the way back to the resort.

14. md0u80a2

md0u80a2 Member

We did it with two very young ones in ay and then December, but took all three including a 9 month ol last summer.

I must say, the heat was tough for us and them and with our time again, we would replan to include the nap back home - we avoided as we like to be on the go and that worked at other times, but it is so hot, I think you need to plan on it

We brought ice packs, triple wrapped and put under him in the buggy. We also bought a little air fan with water sponge that shot cool air and worked off battery block and ran for hours and really cooled him down in buggy too.

Nice big sports bottles that have a large screwable cap were great as you could fill with ice and then the baby drink from.

Finally, buffet meals are great or cooking at home - that age too young for rubbish they serve on kids menus and a sit down table service is no good either, but buffets really worked and characters were brilliant. After 3 weeks, he stopped eating meals unless Mickey was there!