Timing help on Poly stay with Universal after

DRD

It's been a couple of years since our last WDW trip and we're ready to take the plunge again, while adding 2 days at Universal at the end of the trip.

We are booked for 2 nights at the Polynesian the 2nd week of October (Monday/Tuesday nights). We are just wanting to spend time only at MK and will spend 2 days at that park. Ideally, we'd also like to spend at least a half day at the resort just exploring and relaxing. We don't have airfare booked yet (waiting on Southwest's schedule to be released) so that is a big variable in the scheduling.

After MK/Poly, we'll move on to 2 nights and 2 days at Universal.

My question to you experts is this...how would you arrange your schedule knowing the following facts and considering the following variables:

Facts:
- Monday/Tuesday night at Polynesian booked
- 2 days in MK (tickets not purchased yet)
- 2 days at Universal (tickets not purchased yet)
- 2 nights at a Universal resort (not yet booked)
- Prefer at least 1/2 day at Poly as a resort day, possibly a full day if schedule allows
- Not planning on renting a car

Variables:
- Monday flights are likely to arrive at MCO at 9 am and 11 am
- We could arrive Sunday and stay at a Holiday Inn on points at a discount, then taxi/Uber over to Poly to check in.

My initial thought was to take advantage of the Magical Express and arrive Monday morning early, check in to Poly, and spend that day as a resort day. Then Tuesday/Wednesday at MK, checking in to Universal that night, spending Thursday/Friday at Universal. then flying out Friday evening.

As I've thought more about it, however, I wonder if we can't just take part of either/both Monday or Tuesday away from the park to relax by the Poly pool. So start out arriving early Monday, checking in, going to MK Monday/Tuesday. Then leave to check in at Universal and do Universal Wednesday/Thursday. Or arriving the night before and staying at the HI, but starting the morning at Poly check in as soon as possible and getting there for rope drop Monday.

Hopefully you see my issue with logistics and scheduling. Anyone else tackled this or have any suggestions?

Many thanks!!!

DRD

Original Poster
So I didn't get any bites with my first (convoluted and confusing) post in this thread, so I thought I'd try again now that things have cleared up a bit. We are staying at the Poly on a Monday and Tuesday night. We will be staying at a Universal resort Wednesday and Thursday...flying out Friday.

I can choose between 1 of two schedules. Which would you do:

Option 1:

Monday: Polynesian Resort Day (we'll pack swim stuff in a carry on that we won't check in with the rest of the luggage)
Tuesday: MK
Wednesday: MK, check into Universal Resort that evening
Thursday: Universal
Friday: Universal, fly back home

Option 2:
Monday: MK (check into Poly very early in the morning, leaving our bags there, heading to MK at rope drop)
Tuesday: MK
Wednesday: leisure morning at Poly/check into Universal Resort that afternoon
Thursday: Universal

We may opt to add AK on Wednesday after checking out of Poly, and checking into the Universal resort that evening.

Any thoughts on what you would recommend?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
I like plan 1. If you have even one Potter fan in your group get park to park tickets. You may want to check into HHN if you have Halloween lovers in your group who are old enough to enjoy it. Even if not interested in HHN you should know how to plan around it.

Upvote 0

GVentola

Friday is the same in both plans, but that's the bit that has me concerned. Catching flights and making your way through airports is exhausting and stressful as it is without doing a theme park beforehand.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
What time will your flight be?
Will you be renting a car, which will need to be turned in?

I'm super paranoid about my flight days, so I generally don't do much on departure days, plus we tend to leave early in the morning, so we're one of those people you see doing the walk of shame.

Upvote 0

Megbutnotmegan

I would choose option 2 because I’m a big fan of fireworks so I’d want two nights of those in MK. Also I think the transition can be complicated so having that be your rest day makes sense to me. Also I’m a latest flight possible on my last day kind of person so I think the last day at universal seems good if that’s your travel style too.

Upvote 0

DRD

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input!!!

I would pick #2, so you get 2 full days at MK, and have time to leisurely make your way over to UNI. With #1, you have to leave MK early on Wednesday to switch to UNI

After discussing it with my wife (which I probably should have done first before posting and wasting y'all's time) she agreed that having a leisurely day between the 2 parks was preferrable. We definitely decided not to try to cram AK in on Wednesday.

Friday is the same in both plans, but that's the bit that has me concerned. Catching flights and making your way through airports is exhausting and stressful as it is without doing a theme park beforehand.

What time will your flight be?
Will you be renting a car, which will need to be turned in?

I'm super paranoid about my flight days, so I generally don't do much on departure days, plus we tend to leave early in the morning, so we're one of those people you see doing the walk of shame.

We have a 9:30 PM flight back home...which is exhausting but the idea of spending the night in a non resort hotel versus sleeping in our own beds that night is something we talked a lot about and are okay with taking the late flight. It'll give us a mostly full day Friday at Universal...probably leaving the park around 5 PM. And 2 days on the weekend to catch up on rest. Plus, flights leaving Saturday were already about $40-60 more expensive per ticket.

We aren't renting a car or at at least not planning on it...I might run the numbers to see what the cost differential is between renting/parking fees vs. cab/Uber fees will be. But I don't see us renting right now.

I guess the only thing we have to figure out now is how much time Poly will give us to hang around on Wednesday before giving us the boot. I know checkout is 11, but I wasn't sure if they'd let us use the pool after checkout.

Thanks again, everyone. I'll probably have a few more questions as it gets closer, but with this being our second go-round (and a simplified/short stay at that) I feel much better about planning this time than last time.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@DRD you can use the pool (and all amenities) at the Poly until 11:59 pm on your checkout day. There are showers at the Lava pool for your convenience.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom