Time Travel Question: Should Disney have Stuck to CA and FL?

Lilofan

Yes and we should have been smarter about dealing with them as well. If we stand as being a moral upright country and make deals with them we should use our clout to enable changes. But unfortunately we strike deals that only enrich certain groups of individuals and turn our backs on those who need our help. We do have more ability to have affect in the deals we make than what we use. Its all in who gets the money bags.
Saudi Arabia = oil , that's why we are partners with SA and don't stir the pot.

tanc

Tokyo Disney is regarded as the very best of all the parks internationally. People say it is easily the best resort in cleanliness, customer service, and the fact they always picked the superior version of rides. It also is due to it being ran by a different company, and I know Disney has a lot to manage with all the other parks but Tokyo is still fascinating to me.

I think it is good as long as the quality is still superb and rivals Tokyo, which from what I read it seems like no place ever will. It's sad that the standards are different now as I guess Disney back then was basically how it is now in Tokyo.

JIMINYCR

Saudi Arabia = oil , that's why we are partners with SA and don't stir the pot.
Stir the pot ? You brought SA into this. Again the USA could have done more to break ties with SA or at least make it easier for the consumer for relying on their production of oil. WE chose not to, again for the benefit of certain groups of individuals who get more money flowing their way.

Rabflmom

Has Paris Disney started making enough money to keep the park running? I always heard that Disney World was paying the bills to keep it afloat.

Whippet Mom

Before I ask my question, this post is not a critical slam on any country outside of the U.S, but is simply meant as an honest question:

In hindsight, would the Disney corporation have been smarter to stick to Walt Disney World in Florida and Disneyland in California and not venture outside of the United States? This means they never would have built Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, Hong Kong Disneyland, or Shanghai Disney Resort. Everyone knows of the companies troubled past with Disneyland Paris/EuroDisney and now it seems like Disney is facing trouble with its parks in China. I know that without these parks we would not have some of the AMAZING rides and shows that have come into fruition in these parks, and I know money was certainly earned, but how much money was lost in the construction of these parks? Could rides/ideas from these parks made their way to the US if there was nowhere else for them to go? Would the stateside parks be that much more impressive? Or have these parks spurred WDW and DL to greatness and are therefore integral to the company? What are your thoughts?
I think China was a big mistake... & not just for Disney....

tl77

It seems when the overseas parks under preform, WDW gets projects cut and get it's prices raised to make up the monetary shortfall... a 1 day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland is about $50 US dollars today, not sure how they can operate at that price point and WDW "can't"?

NelleBelle

It seems when the overseas parks under preform, WDW gets projects cut and get it's prices raised to make up the monetary shortfall... a 1 day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland is about $50 US dollars today, not sure how they can operate at that price point and WDW "can't"?
Maybe because they're not Disney-owned? And Tokyo isn't quite that inexpensive...unless the Yen-Dollar is fluctuating that wildly--I got $76.50 when I looked it up. Definitely a lot less that what the domestic parks charge by a LOT! But Tokyo's profits don't tend to have any bearing on what happens at WDW/DLR as Disney isn't footing any of their bills.

tanc

Maybe because they're not Disney-owned? And Tokyo isn't quite that inexpensive...unless the Yen-Dollar is fluctuating that wildly--I got $76.50 when I looked it up. Definitely a lot less that what the domestic parks charge by a LOT! But Tokyo's profits don't tend to have any bearing on what happens at WDW/DLR as Disney isn't footing any of their bills.

If you go to Tokyo Disney for like 4 days, the tickets would be like $57 because the 4 day cost is ÂĄ24,800 which is amazing!

NelleBelle

If you go to Tokyo Disney for like 4 days, the tickets would be like $57 because the 4 day cost is ÂĄ24,800 which is amazing!
Wow! I need to use that in my argument to DH for going to Tokyo Disneyland! I wanted to go this year (before the world went to hell in a hand basket) and go to the Olympics and hit Tokyo Disneyland as a gift for our son graduating 8th-grade (who am I kidding, this trip is for me!) :hilarious: But we decided probably better to go when the crowds aren't at their highest. But wow! Under $60/day!!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Stir the pot ? You brought SA into this. Again the USA could have done more to break ties with SA or at least make it easier for the consumer for relying on their production of oil. WE chose not to, again for the benefit of certain groups of individuals who get more money flowing their way.

Like it or not, Saudi Arabia is one of the few stable countries in that region. There are always winners and losers for every decision, so spin it as your narrative dictates.

JIMINYCR

Like it or not, Saudi Arabia is one of the few stable countries in that region. There are always winners and losers for every decision, so spin it as your narrative dictates.
Sure, agreed, there are always winners and losers in deal making. Weve had a somewhat decent relationship with SA, and a while ago we had the opportunity to break free of their stranglehold over us. But still the USA acts only in the best interest of those getting the payouts instead of making a deal that could actually include benefitting people, in our country and theirs. No spin needed here.

Lilofan

Sure, agreed, there are always winners and losers in deal making. Weve had a somewhat decent relationship with SA, and a while ago we had the opportunity to break free of their stranglehold over us. But still the USA acts only in the best interest of those getting the payouts instead of making a deal that could actually include benefitting people, in our country and theirs. No spin needed here.
We need to be friends with the Saudis. We need their oil, we need their land for our military bases as some examples.

rct247

I think outside of the United States, Tokyo was a fantastic choice. I think Europe was a good choice too, but it obviously has had its struggles.

The rest is honestly up for debate. Not terrible ideas, but we could have done without them. Epcot, DHS, DAK, and WDS could have used a lot more love before we built Hong Kong or Shanghai.

India and South America are other markets that I could see being discussed for future expansion, but I'd be worried if they acted on these any time in the next decade. The existing parks need attention.

FutureCEO

Here's the question that should be asked: Should Disney have stuck with the rides and show they should have built with budgets intact.

(I watched youtube yesterday of what World Showcase could have been) So sad.

Miru

This is a real great question! To be honest the only parks worth checking out outside of America IMO is Tokyo. Seeing photos and videos of Tokyo make me so jealous that we don't have it in the US of A. Paris damaged the company more than helped. There really isn't anything there that is a draw for me. Hong Kong was also a disaster and still kinda is. Shanghai though seems awesome but (not to get political) putting it in mainland China was a geopolitical nightmare. However, you stick that park anywhere else in the world and it might be the most impressive park. I plan on visiting all of these parks someday.
DLP used to be pretty solid for a time. I feel Disney fully buying it in 2017 was the final nail in the coffin for the resort, which already suffered from losing most of its best rides and attractions like Cinemagic and OG Space Mountain. The plans for Studios seem more like a bandaid akin to A Bug’s Land than anything else; just copy the other Western parks and voila.

PiratesMansion

DLP used to be pretty solid for a time. I feel Disney fully buying it in 2017 was the final nail in the coffin for the resort, which already suffered from losing most of its best rides and attractions like Cinemagic and OG Space Mountain. The plans for Studios seem more like a bandaid akin to A Bug’s Land than anything else; just copy the other Western parks and voila.
I can't speak for Cinemagique or OG Space Mountain, as both were closed for refurbishment during my one visit. I'm not thrilled that they're gone, but if we're being honest OG Space Mountain left long ago and seemingly no-one liked the Mission 2 version as much. Was the Hyperspace changeover done a la Hong Kong, where it's essentially permanent? Definitely a bummer if so. But the physical ride remains and it sounds like they addressed the headbanging/roughness complaints, so I don't know that it can be called a 100% negative.

But quite honestly that band-aid for the Studios Park is still a lot better than what was there in 2015. Original? No, nor much of a draw to me personally, but unquestionably better than what that park used to be.

And while I haven't been since, it sounds like since Disney bought the place they're actually maintaining it, which I can't possibly see as being a negative. The place was a mess in 2015; even the then-brand new Ratatouille had areas of its queue that were hurting already!

Of course, the prices have gone up and there are now the requisite 50,000 FP options, and the aforementioned questionable Space changeover, so it's not perfect. But it sounds like, for now, most of what they have done has been relatively beneficial, if not particularly original.

FettFan

Should have just stuck with Disneyland and left florida as the gator invested swamp land it was meant to be by God.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tee. Hee.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom