Time to pay the piper.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Well,

My April vacation is fast approaching yay, but now I need to start sending money over to Disney, boo. At this time, it hits home at how expensive Disney vacations can be. I take responsibilty for some of that extravagant price, as a family we decided to stay ay the Poly 3 years ago. With that, I'm still staggering at the spending over 8,000 for a Disney vacation. I've been saving up for the past few years, but one thing is for sure, this will probably be the last time we stay on property. If we do opt for a Disney vacation and stay on property in the future, it will definitely be at a value resort.

Nonetheless the kids, my wife and I are all looking forward to the trip :)

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
I think I'll stick with the moderates and value
I've been saving a long time, but I completely agree. I wished we didn't agree to this. I was hoping to save some money by taking advantage of Disney's promotions, but alas they didn't seem to provide many rooms for their spring promotion program. I've checked nearly daily and there's nothing to be found :(

Upvote 0

Mainahman

Your going to have a blast!!! For that price i could of booked 2 of my current vacations to the world, however super jealous of the Poly!!!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Yes Poly is expensive but its very beautiful and worth the cost. Youre paying for a higher end stay and getting your moneys worth. You did have cheaper options... during your 3 year saving time you could/ should have realized at some point that you were over your head in cost and booked a cheaper package. We always know to the penny what our expenses are and what we can afford.. then book trips and the extras so we dont have regrets or surprises.

Upvote 0

yensid67

How many of your days will be spent IN THE ROOM? I have never stayed on property...if money was no object, I would stay at The Grand Floridian. But to save a few hundred, we stay off site at a decent hotel. This way we can splurge on a few extras that we WANT/MUST do. This next trip will most likely be our last as well because of prices! Soon only the rich will be able to take a Disney Vacation, unless Disney does something to keep the MAJORITY of their guests...the Middle Class and the Poor. Walt wanted Disney to be a place that ALL families could come to. Do you really think those that are in the money really want to take a Disney vacation!? They have more expensive things to do with their money. Disney should do a Disney of Yesterday promotion, where the prices are the prices of opening day! That would be a great way to THANK the guests for making Disney the #1 vacation destination in the world...if it were for the guests they would not be rolling in the money the way they are and buying different brands right and left!

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
How many of your days will be spent IN THE ROOM?
We do spend time at the resort, whether we're talking about enjoying the pool or just downtime. Yes the room is there just for us to sleep, but we do tend to eat at the resort, take time to swim and enjoy the ambience.

I totally get your logic and I myself have used that line of thought as well, but the theming and what we're looking to do this vacation is such that my kids and wife and myself of course are looking forward.

Upvote 0

yensid67

THAT'S GREAT! As long as you can justify staying on property and spending the money, I would to! But being on disability and only receiving what I get, its getting too expensive! I have been saving/planning since 2013 for this next trip in August 2018 or May 2019

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

Soon only the rich will be able to take a Disney Vacation, unless Disney does something to keep the MAJORITY of their guests...the Middle Class and the Poor. Walt wanted Disney to be a place that ALL families could come to. Do you really think those that are in the money really want to take a Disney vacation!?

Oh, puhleez. :rolleyes: What world do you live in where the majority of Disney guests ever included "the Poor"? They were never in the target demographic. And Walt build DL as a family friendly alternative to the somewhat unsavory carnies of that time. To say he built it for ALL families irrespective of their ability to afford the admission is naive.

And yes, many of "those that are in the money" want to take WDW vacations too. Just like your favorite "Middle Class and the Poor", they also have families that enjoy the parks, and can easily afford the deluxe resorts. In between beach time in Bora Bora and ski trips to Gstaad, of course.

Since opening day, a WDW vacation was never a cheap vacation. And given the current rate of resort room occupancy, and crowd levels in the parks, they do not appear even close to pricing themselves out of the market.

Upvote 0

yensid67

OK CALM DOWN MUM...Just saying Disney is getting expensive even for those who can afford it! It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't take offerings away or only take a SHORT TIME for construction, but they seem to drag their feet when it comes to construction...example: Star Wars Land...DL is FAR BEYOND what WDW is! Granted, I think it has to do with DL being in California and having the Disney Company RIGHT THERE! Universal doesn't take as much time to build out a new land, Disney should be able to do it too! If it were in Universal, Star Wars would have already been built or close to opening! I guess what I am saying is that is doesn't justify saving for years for a trip, but anyone, then get to the World and find a lot of what you like to do is closed or being refurb and still charging the same price...DHS should be a lower admission until Star Wars is finished...they will recoup any money lost when it opens!

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

I'm quite calm, thanks. But your statements in your previous post were just patently false. Your current post makes a couple of valid (if totally unrelated) points. However the slow pace of Disney construction has been explained and had informed discussion on several threads on other boards on this forum. If the current state of DHS distresses you, then just wait a year or 2. We were still able to fill a whole day there on our last visit, but this is solely a matter of personal priority. Construction and regular refurbs aren't a closely guarded secret. If they will seriously affect the quality of your visit, then there's no reason to book until they're complete.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Well,

My April vacation is fast approaching yay, but now I need to start sending money over to Disney, boo. At this time, it hits home at how expensive Disney vacations can be. I take responsibilty for some of that extravagant price, as a family we decided to stay ay the Poly 3 years ago. With that, I'm still staggering at the spending over 8,000 for a Disney vacation. I've been saving up for the past few years, but one thing is for sure, this will probably be the last time we stay on property. If we do opt for a Disney vacation and stay on property in the future, it will definitely be at a value resort.

Nonetheless the kids, my wife and I are all looking forward to the trip :)

I always have that "moment of reckoning" too -- every time we plan a Disney trip and add up the total budget. We've learned some tricks to save money over the years (renting DVC points if we want to go deluxe, planning an itinerary that doesn't require parkhoppers, saving rewards points to cover airfare, etc.), but it still adds up so quickly! The cost for hotel, food and tickets can easily hit $800+/day for my family of four (for a 6-8 day stay) -- meaning the cost per day is barely less than a monthly home mortgage payment! Disney is an expensive hobby. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
Is it too late to change it?

If you can switch to a moderate, they can apply all your payments to it, may pay it off, and you can enjoy yourself better knowing you didn’t overspend.
Technically no, its not too late, but realistically it is for a number of reasons.

First availability is pretty constrained at this point. I'm sure I can find a room at the CBR, mostly because of the renovations and no food court.
Secondly, we made a promise to stay at the Poly and since then I've been saving up (read years) for this, so the money is there (more or less), but the price tag is still a rather large pill to swallow. What I didn't factor in, was the lack of promotions. Maybe I was slow out of the gate, maybe disney didn't release many discounted rooms (maybe both), but I was not able to save any money using their spring promotions. I was hoping to carve out at least a 1,000 dollars from the bill but that never materialized.

(renting DVC points if we want to go deluxe, planning an itinerary that doesn't require parkhoppers, saving rewards points to cover airfare, etc.),
The wife and I went back and forth on the idea of renting DVC points, but we this time we opted not too, for the simple reason we changed the date last year from planning on a trip in November to April, as we decided not to pull the kids out of school. We needed some level of flexibility that renting DVC points just wouldn't give us. As for Park Hoppers I agree, I usually bend over backwards to align our itinary in such a way that we can do without park hoppers.

Upvote 0

RookieMouse

If you got spoiled by the Poly, always remember that renting DVC points through a reputable broker like David's is a heckuva lot cheaper than shelling out rack rate for a deluxe.

Upvote 0

drwadadli

We love the Poly and I think that is not a bad price. We spent $6000 when it was just my wife and I for a week at the Poly in 2011 and then $8500 for a week at GF in 2015. I don't look at the cost too much when we go on vacation. It is for fun and a chance to get away so we save appropriately and plan to spoil ourselves.

We also prefer to stay on property either on the monorail loop or at a moderate resort (as you can see based on my signature). We tried to stay at one of the DS Hotel and was greatly disappointment so won't do that again.

GO.....HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

atdimi

Ughh...$4800 for 5 nights and park tickets...only the resort and tickets!!! :eek:BUT, we just booked it a few weeks ago, for trip at the end of March, so everything was limited and super expensive. Also doesn't help to have a very picky husband who only wants to stay at Boardwalk :rolleyes::arghh:

Upvote 0

draybook

Not gonna lie, we've gotten spoiled after renting a vacation home. Can't complain about spending about $85 a night to have a 3/2 pool house to yourselves. Having these two little ones makes it that much nicer having a washer/dryer at our disposal too. If we stay on site it will be for Free Dining and even then we're going to have to weigh our options.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom