Time-Lapse DL Construction Film

Practical Pig

Original Poster
Maybe this footage is well known to others here, but it's new to me. It's mostly time lapse footage of park construction narrated by Tony Baxter and two others, and is primarily shot from observation towers that Walt had built around the construction zone just to record this footage. If you haven't seen it, there are a lot of fascinating details and trivia to be found in the narration. You really get a sense of how much they were just flying by the seat of their pants to get this thing done, for instance the Jungle Cruise being laid out directly onsite more than in plans.

If new to you, I recommend.

Edit: Fixed typo for clarity.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It’s funny, hearing Tony Baxter’s commentary about Sleeping Beauty Castle sparked some thought. Many times, I’ve heard others use of the example of Walt naming Sleeping Beauty Castle after his movie that wouldnt be out for 4 years as a way to show that Walt loved his movie tie ins and that this is nothing new. But I think that comparison misses the mark. Modern Disney would never have the guts to have a movie tie in BEFORE they see the box office results. This was just a man who believed in his brand and product. I feel like the movie tie in is secondary to this fact.

Practical Pig

Original Poster
It’s funny, hearing Tony Baxter’s commentary about Sleeping Beauty Castle sparked some thought. Many times, I’ve heard others use of the example of Walt naming Sleeping Beauty Castle after his movie that wouldnt be out for 4 years as a way to show that Walt loved his movie tie ins and that this is nothing new. But I think that comparison misses the mark. Modern Disney would never have the guts to have a movie tie in BEFORE they see the box office results. This was just a man who believed in his brand and product. I feel like the movie tie in is secondary to this fact.

That Mom and Pop operation under the leadership of Walt can never be duplicated. The public company that ensued has soared to financial heights unimagined then, but that unique strain and spirit of and trust in creativity is lost to the world.

TROR

One of my favorite things being discussed regarding the castle is the chapel on it. I've always felt that it was one but I never heard any confirmation that it is supposed to be a chapel or just pulling from those designs. It's really a great little detail that I feel gets over looked.

mickEblu

One of my favorite things being discussed regarding the castle is the chapel on it. I've always felt that it was one but I never heard any confirmation that it is supposed to be a chapel or just pulling from those designs. It's really a great little detail that I feel gets over looked.

Agreed. That’s what makes DL the greatest theme park on earth. All the history and little details that even an AP like me can miss after countless visits. Although to be fair, it’s easy to miss a lot of details when your battling the hordes. The park is just so intimate and layered. Then you add all of the beautiful landscaping and old trees and you have something really special. The landscaping/ atmosphere alone is probably 70% of the reason I’m an AP. It’s cetainly not to ride POTC for the 30th time, as amazing an attraction it is. In fact sometimes 6 months can by since I have ridden any particular E ticket.

Practical Pig

Original Poster

Agreed as well. It starts at 17:25, and ends shortly after, but this was a sweet small detail from Tony. Of course he wasn't personally part of the castle design, but I would trust his lore.

EricsBiscuit

Agreed. That’s what makes DL the greatest theme park on earth. All the history and little details that even an AP like me can miss after countless visits. Although to be fair, it’s easy to miss a lot of details when your battling the hordes. The park is just so intimate and layered. Then you add all of the beautiful landscaping and old trees and you have something really special. The landscaping/ atmosphere alone is probably 70% of the reason I’m an AP. It’s cetainly not to ride POTC for the 30th time, as amazing an attraction it is. In fact sometimes 6 months can by since I have ridden any particular E ticket.
TDS > DL.

Anyway it's great footage and I love Tony Baxter's amazing work. His knowledge of the parks is always awesome to listen to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom