Trip Report (Complete) Till the Spire, a Trip Report five years in the making (January 2020)

Bright Suns or (Rising Moons) depending on when you are reading this.

This trip report is unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. As you may realize this is a trip report written for your reading pleasure. This, however, isn't just any trip report due to the detailed nature of this trip (and to be honest the fun of it) I will be formatting this report much like a novel. With chapters and a table of contents...this way we can keep a discussion going in addition to keeping this thread formatted! Just click the link to the chapter you desire to read...the table of contents will be linked at the end of each chapter.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Prologue......Post #1 (you are here)

Chapter 0 The Background......Post #1 (you are here)

Chapter 1 Sleepless in Newark.....Post #7 (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9075345)

Chapter 2 Soarin' Over Batuu......Post #10 (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9075727)

Chapter 3 Light-Speed through the Studios......Post #11 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9077441

Chapter 4 Rising with the Resistance......Post #12 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9082769

Chapter 5 Frantic Fantasy......Post #13 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9085510

Chapter 6 Happily Ever Meet & Greet......Post #14 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9088977

Chapter 7 Adventures thru Cyber-Space......Post #15 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9095323

Chapter 8 JUMBO and Sivako......Post #16 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9134381

Chapter 9 An Artists Life For Me......Post #17 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9165723

Chapter 10 The fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy......Post #18 https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...n-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9389539

Chapter 11 The Studios at Twilight......Post #19

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9399364

Chapter 12 Adventure is Out There......Post #20
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9658196

Chapter 13 Princess Shuffle......Post #21
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9716026

Chapter 14 Nemo’s Last Day......Post #26
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9759483

Chapter 15 Fireworks over the Kingdom……Post #27
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9891103

Chapter 16 A Hollywood Finale……Post #28
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9891611

Chapter 17 Photo Finish……Post #29
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9891668

Epilogue……Post #30
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/till-the-spire-a-trip-report-five-years-in-the-making-january-2020.963504/post-9897120

Prologue:

So this is my first time writing a trip report...and as such I am learning on the fly on how to format these for your reading pleasure. Please excuse the long read (lots of background to cover here).

As this is my first time writing a report, I didn’t really know pre-trip reports were a thing so...I didn’t prepare one but as you will see their is plenty to say regarding how this trip came to be (more on that in the background).

I’ve also been going back and forth in my head if it is even worth it for me to publish a trip report...but I figured why not? I’m interested to see if anyone is interested to even read my trip report. So the response on this will determine if I decide to make any more trip reports.

With that out of the way...let’s get to the background.

Chapter 0 The Background:

WHO: Myself (25 + year Disney traveler) and two college friends who have never been to Disney
WHAT: Friends first trip to Disney World (as well as the Rise trip)
WHEN: January 16-23 2020

The idea for this trip started...a long time ago like 2015. I was watching D23 2015, and as a lifelong Star Wars fan as well as a huge Disney Parks fan...it was incredible to see a fully dedicated Star Wars Land that wasn’t just set on a new planet but was canon to the universe. I knew I had to plan a dedicated trip down once the land was completed and not just any trip I wanted to go BIG. A little background on me I’m Surferboy567 I’ve been going to Disney since I’ve been 6 months old. Ever since I’ve been a lifelong fan of Disney. Easily taking 20+ trips down to Disney from then to now. The thing was, they were always with my family and I’ve never ventured from a family vacation. Then, college came. It was my first semester of college and I was getting acclimated to a new school. Of course, as one tends to do you make new friends, and as a huge fan of Disney my whole life I tend to bring it up in conversation. I befriended two new college friends (who I will call by their Disney character names as they were on the trip) Nemo & Yoda. As we started to get to know each other we basically immediately became instant friends. And then...it happened they told me they had never gone to Disney before. I was shocked, and immediately thinking about the 2015 announcement of Galaxy’s Edge...I knew this was it the opportunity to plan a grand Disney trip for just myself and friends. Since Disney has been such a big part of my life and going as many times as I did I knew it would be fun to take a first-timer and to see how they reacted to everything. I jumped at the occasion and asked my friends if they wanted to go down to Disney, and what started out as a simple idea eventually became one grand Disney trip...which I am here to recap.

Of course, one thing lead to another and years pass, I’m still in college and regularly hang out with Nemo & Yoda. At this point I’ve been saving for this Disney trip...that seems to never get off the ground. During this time I still take many Disney vacations with my family as we normally do it about once a year sometimes more. I’ll use HWS as an example to show the passage of time. First trip, GMR still stands, Second trip TSL is being built, Third trip TSL is completed...one constant thing remains, those black spires in the distance. For years, I was dreaming what Galaxy’s Edge may be like when it finally comes to HWS. Of course, I’m excited for almost every new addition Disney adds but I knew that Galaxy’s Edge would have to be the one to anchor a trip like this. Every-time I see those construction walls down grand avenue and at the time muppets courtyard I think of the supposed Disney trip I’m planning. It became the unofficial symbol of the trip. Then finally in the summer of 2017...things change and get moving.

Sometime in 2017 (I forget when) I remember Disney announced Galaxy’s Edge was slated to open sometime in 2019. I finally had a timeframe to start scouting potential dates. We settled on possibly doing it in August 2019. Then of course, in 2019 Nemo & Yoda graduate college and their schedules become a lot busier making trip planning difficult. Then we FINALLY came to a date that we could all agree on January 16th-23th 2020! This aligned with my desire to want to schedule the trip when the major E-Ticket ride was open (only simply named Battle Escape for the longest time). We even thought that possibly the Runaway Railway would be open for our trip as a bonus we also saw that the festival of arts (a favorite of mine) was also running during our dates. Being the Disney veteran I am, and a bit of an avid planner I started to plan out the trip in Excel. Assembling a budget sheet, park breakdowns by day, Fastpass booking planning, the works. Then 120 days out from the trip...the reservations start to become booked and this trip becomes tangible as I finally have reservations down. I booked a Savi’s, Droid Depot, Oga’s Cantina and a Sci-Fi Dine-In (a family favorite) reservation. We decide for the first time we will purchase memory maker (more on this later) as it’s their first trip and is bound to be a special one. Then 60 days out and Fastpass booking commences and the hotel has been decided on The Swan and Dolphin this hotel is the place I ALWAYS stay at when we go to Disney in our 20+ times so it was a no brainer. With that all sorted out, I get lucky and manage to snag several prime fast passes including the likes of FOP, Slinky, and Seven Dwarfs. Everything is coming together and I’m determined to make this the ultimate Disney vacation for my friends who have never been. Finally, my journey from an idea in 2015 before college to eventual trip right before my LAST semester of college in 2020 is about to transform into the trip I’ve been waiting so long for.

THEN...the night of January 15th begins...

------------------------------------------------------------------Chapter End--------------------------------------------------------------------

TABLE OF CONTENTS (aka Post #1):

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Chapter 13 Princess Shuffle

After arriving from Animal Kingdom, we were getting hungry so we grabbed a bite to eat. I can’t remember where we ate but I have this picture.

466238F4-6305-43E9-984F-34ED1BBE7C3E.jpeg

After this, we went around and did the usual in Magic Kingdom. This was actually Nemo’s last time in Magic Kingdom. As he would be leaving earlier then the rest of the group. We rode Dumbo since they had not, it was my first time in quite a number of years.

8E044EC9-AE39-4836-8A81-D8373012876C.jpeg

We also rode many other attractions, I do not have pictures of them so I don’t remember. I do remember having a typical day at the Magic Kingdom. I don’t even remember the order if we rode Dumbo first or last.

After riding rides, we headed over to Storybook Circus and took a photopass in front of the sign. After this it was starting to get late so we sat in front of the castle to secure our places for Happily Ever After.

3A50519A-40BC-4512-9454-697A4623DB36.jpeg

As I’ve said previously this has definitely become a group’s favorite.

After this, Nemo & Yoda wanted to ride the one ride we hadn’t tackled in Magic Kingdom. Space Mountain, I didn’t ride it since my fear of coasters always get’s the better of me when riding these type of rides. Despite when eventually riding them loving the experience. It is something I am working on though. Anyways, I walked them though the entire queue and I forgot how much I admired the Space Mountain queue. From the music to the atmosphere, I saw them off in their rockets and took the chicken exit to meet them at the unload portion. After this, I can’t remember if we did any further attractions.

The last thing we did do however in the park was re-visit Princess Fairytale Hall. To meet the remaining two Princesses we missed last time. Cinderella and Elena.

8AEDB6CD-38AA-4B9E-8AFE-DA4211F02C12.jpeg

At this point we had more then gotten over the fact that we were pretty much the only grown men doing these Princess meet and greets. Even so, it was a fun time and a free photopass was a free photopass. We are happy we did this because Elena and Cinderella where two great Meet and Greets. They talked to us for a while and it was a nice calm way to close out the night.

E595FA07-3026-40C5-9B6D-EE93B01FF17C.jpeg

I also really liked this book in the Fairytale hall. Maybe a nod to Scary Adventures?

After this, I think Disney After Hours was that night as well. The park was beginning to empty out since this was Nemo’s last time in the Magic Kingdom. We took lots of photopass pictures in front of the castle. Much like Fairytale hall it was a great way to close out the night.

Tommorow, would be Nemo’s last day in the parks. As such we planned on staying close to our resort. That wasn’t going to stop us though from making the most out of the last day with Nemo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------End of Chapter----------------------------------------------------------

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Chapter 14 Nemo’s Last Day

We had finally come to the point where our group was to split up. Nemo had to catch a flight in the evening so we planned to stay close to our resort. We awoke early to try and arrive to Hollywood Studios early attempting to get another boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance.

I don’t think we were successful but I am unsure, don’t have any evidence saying we did the attraction again on this day. Today, was going to be a Photopass kind of day. In a last stitch effort to get as many pictures of the group as possible.

We headed over to Smugglers Run for our first attraction for that day. I even found a really cool hidden Mickey I hadn’t perviously noticed.

7DB06C31-8427-4E65-85BF-D68118709496.jpeg

After Smugglers Run, we took a couple of Photopass pictures in front of the Falcon. We tried the Datapad and tried to read the Aurebesh off some signs in the land.

D9F752A3-302D-43C0-8ABA-CFF6FB0F7497.jpeg

After we headed into Toy Story Land and took a Photopass in front of Buzz. We then rode Slinky Dog Dash, Alien Swiring Saucers, and Toy Story Mania.

After that we proceeded to take lots of Photopass pictures with Mike & Sully (One Man’s Dream) I remember we waited a long time for that Meet and Greet. Then we headed over to Launch Bay and took some Photopass pictures with BB-8. This was also a great Meet and Greet.

After this we headed into the Incredible Celebration area, and waited for Edna. We took a Photopass in front of the Incredible Celebration wall then got in line for Edna. Edna’s set was cool with props of the suit as well as explanations of what she was thinking when designing them.

F7D37521-7DBF-4FB0-BDC8-F2541E9B60D1.jpeg

97F4E1E2-55A2-4824-9051-84D327945416.jpeg

After this Nemo had one final attraction he wanted to ride before we had to head back to the hotel for him to pack. The Tower of Terror, as he wanted Nemo & Yoda rode Tower of Terror and took the Photopass picture on the ride.

We then headed back to the hotel, helped Nemo with his bag and he was headed back home.

That night, we rested and headed to EPCOT. Pretty sure we took it easy and didn’t do much since the only Photopass I had was us on Frozen Ever After.

------------------------------------------------------------------------End of Chapter----------------------------------------------------------

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Chapter 15 Fireworks over the Kingdom

With Nemo gone, myself and Yoda had another two days ahead of us before the trip came to it’s conclusion.

Our second to last day began with us waking up early to board the bus to the Magic Kingdom.

41BE26EA-A5FA-48D0-9F26-B54A9224DA7D.jpeg

(Wasn’t our bus)

Aa we waited Yoda grabbed (Coffee?) at Fuel, a quick service grab and go food location at the Swan & Dolphin. There we found this really cool Mike Wazowski statue.

8EBBDA07-2126-4E77-9823-E9E829FE3750.jpeg

19FB561E-4B4B-4629-B224-4CFE12D6D4A9.jpeg

With Randall at the base.

When we got to the Magic Kingdom, we had a typical day. We started on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, then I think we had a Big Thunder Mountain fastpass. We took a couple of photopass shots at both Big Thunder, and on ride at Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. We then went though Liberty Square and rode the usual rides in that part of the park. I don’t have many photos from this point in the day so I can’t remember exactly what we did. I only remember we definitely did a bunch of attractions. I have photopass shots of us infront of Haunted Mansion. We also met Peter Pan at some point.

This finally takes us to our last night in Magic Kingdom. We started off by riding Buzz Lightyear. Took an on-ride photo on there and then Yoda rode Space Mountain. I stayed behind and waited at the exit. I have a on-ride photopass of Yoda on Space Mountain.

Then, we watched Happily Ever After again, a group’s favorite.

178D3461-ECE9-4BB0-B995-487BBCA0C436.jpeg

After that we rode the Mad Tea Party which was one of the first times I have ever been on that.
To close out our night in the Magic Kingdom. (I think) our last attraction was Peter Pan’s Flight.

36A9A4FF-DE19-40C0-A66F-5981927CA461.jpeg

35A8C060-4AAD-48D6-9D8A-3CB887C35257.jpeg

We then said good-bye to Magic Kingdom for the final time on this trip.

We did however, have one more day left in the trip. Since our flight was later that night, we wanted to stay close to the hotel. So we had plans to finish out our trip in both Hollywood Studios and Epcot. We were going to make the most out of our last day.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Chapter 16 A Hollywood Finale

Finally, we have made it. The last day of our trip was upon us our day started with us getting up super early to get over to the studios to try and secure a Rise of the Resistance boarding group. We were successful in securing a group (more on this later). We then rode (I think) the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy once again with me as the pilot.

64BF5103-AA8D-412F-9A2A-2CCF6028811B.jpeg

After that we spent the bulk of our remaining time in Hollywood Studios in Toy Story Land.

884E22FD-5D83-4B71-AB5E-F3CFC4977842.jpeg

At this point, it had finally start to set in that this was our last day. So I started to take a crazy amount of pictures for the rest of the day. Can’t remember if we rode Slinky but we hopped in line for Toy Story Mania.

FEB324CB-9607-4E24-88F4-97FF725D1F3F.jpeg

48231926-9397-4C62-859B-B0208A1155E8.jpeg

55F0BC7E-830D-4849-8D40-C93A03384713.jpeg

FE16D765-C297-4B9F-B1E6-A67592644832.jpeg

By that time, it was starting to get into the afternoon. Our check-out time was nearing so we used our final moments in Hollywood Studios to take some photos. We waited in a photo pass line for Buzz, Woody & Bo-Peep (two separate lines). We saw a really cool art piece drawn by one of the custodial case members which side note where definitely seen more on this trip more then others.

B616FBA6-1AA1-47F2-9274-39480096CC22.jpeg

After this we took a photopass picture in front of the arch to Animation Courtyard as well as a normal picture in front of the Chinese Theater (this was right before Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway), the theater also had a billboard featuring Mickey, Minnie & Goofy saying “Hollywood Studios or Bust”. Knowing this billboard wouldn’t be there for much longer we took a photo in front of that as well. We then left Hollywood Studios since it was time for us to check-out of our hotel. The plan was if our Rise boarding group was called we would then return to the studios. This was the last time we would be in Hollywood Studios for this trip.

628F1076-AB48-4CF2-BAF9-F1480D29E90F.jpeg

After completing the check-out and saying good-bye to our hotel room.

B8744A63-7677-46FF-B2D3-92F7FC48C929.jpeg

635EF4CF-4164-4EA3-AC19-2BD4B7160629.jpeg

We dropped our bags off at bell services since our flight wasn’t going to be for a few more hours. After that, it was time to explore our last park of the trip. EPCOT is where we started, and it was also where we were going to end our trip.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Chapter 17 Photo Finish

With Hollywood Studios and our hotel checkout complete. It was finally time to visit EPCOT one last time. Our objective was simple enjoy the festival of arts, maybe catch a few rides, and take lots of pictures.

One of the first things we did was wait in line since this happened as we were walking in for Alice. We took a few photos (photo pass?) with her and then headed deeper into EPCOT. Our next spot was Imagination! First, we rode Journey into Imagination with Figment.

Then after I did something I hadn’t done in an extremely long time. We spent some time in Imageworks, as they were hosting character meet and greets and since we wanted as many photos as possible we met every character we could. I don’t remember the order but we met Joy, Wreck-It Ralph, and Vanellope. I remember both meet and greets having cool set ups with Ralph having a very cool set piece of leaving and entering the “internet”.

75C07AE9-5E3D-4860-8421-D2F63852CA13.jpeg

We headed over to the Seas with Nemo & Friends and rode that attraction as well as took some time to admire the aquarium also something I rarely do.

5C9CB0BA-E169-4035-A453-35B064C013E0.jpeg

6EC24029-EC71-42D5-85EB-B73632D436BC.jpeg

F8A78280-4C7A-4ED3-BF1C-4B8267B1ED02.jpeg

Our next stop was Spaceship Earth.

1ED21014-4E6B-47D7-B33E-7349EDA81218.jpeg

58E0FD4C-80B6-4F4F-9DC4-282EC8C89F60.jpeg
After that, I can’t remember if this was our last ride of the trip but then we headed over to Soarin’ which funny enough was our first attraction of the trip. We then took some photopass pictures in front of Spaceship Earth including a magicshot with Figment. It was a cloudy day at the time, and rain wasn’t far behind.

1BE88063-35E6-45BC-B770-3EE2275104FD.jpeg

Being that it was the festival of the arts. I had to stop by the booths in the festival center area and grab an art piece for my brother as I had already grabbed the Darth Vader piece for myself. The line was long. but I ended up staying by the Thomas Kinkade booth. I picked up another Star Wars piece there depicting Luke and Palpatine fighting on the Deathstar. I even got the picture signed by one of the artists there! Which is funny since the year prior we were also at the festival of the arts where I had bought another piece. This time with Mickey & Minnie in a movie theater watching Steamboat Willie. The artist who signed my picture then was the same now, so it was a cool experience. Since the line was long, I talked Yoda into doing the intense version of Mission Space as I was doing all of this. He did it and told me it really wasn’t that bad despite his distain for “centrifuge rides”. We were finally headed out of Future World for the last time (I think) and it was bittersweet. We admired some art pieces particularly this cool Figment wall and headed into the World Showcase.

98D8E327-9789-4EBB-B9F3-13B86D14C964.jpeg

Though out the trip, we had been seeing these really cool popcorn buckets popping all around property. They were Skyliner cabins as popcorn buckets particularly the Mickey, Minnie, and Pluto wrapped ones. Since that was my first trip when the Skyliner was open I know I had to have it. Unable to eat the actual popcorn due to my allergies, I gave Yoda the popcorn and kept the bucket as a really cool souvenir. We then finished at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop (one of my favorite places in EPCOT) and grabbed Fish and Chips one final time.

F5A501AD-BEC8-4B7E-80B7-F96E7F11705E.jpeg

After receiving the popcorn and admiring EPCOT for a while longer, it was finally time to leave the park for the airport. As we were leaving and just crossed by the Paris bridge our Rise of the Resistance from earlier in the day was called which I found funny. We obviously, couldn’t of ridden it since we had a flight to catch but I found it funny. We then finally left EPCOT.

It was now night out, the hotel halls were empty.

B1B49A97-D560-4D32-9D22-895854395916.jpeg

We grabbed our bags from the bag pickup and hopped into a car to take us back to the airport. We had a pretty smooth flight home. Yoda went home, and shortly after I also went home. Thereby ending our Disney trip.

*This isn’t the last chapter of the trip report stay tuned for the Epilogue coming soon!

Surferboy567

Original Poster
Epilogue

Well, 511 days later after I started this trip report this finally marks the end. What a journey it has been. First, let me thank you the readers for making it this far and sticking around as I completed this project. I promised I would eventually finish this report, taking us to this moment.

I enjoyed documenting this trip, it was a lot of work going though all the photos and remembering what happened. I do think the end product ended up being worthy of the hours it took to assemble all the chapters together. The response to this new type of trip report seemed positive. I will keep this in mind moving forward with possible future trip reports. I hope you all enjoyed reading as I did putting it all together.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom