TIFU by booking Hoop De Doo Musical Revue for my first day

mp2bill

Original Poster
This post is basically just to help out anybody who, like me, hasn’t been to WDW in a while and forgot a lot of the ADR strategies. I’ll preface by saying that I’ve read up a lot on ADRs and even read The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2022.

But one key thing that I failed to put the puzzle pieces together on was the fact that if you’re looking to book a super popular dinner, DON’T DO IT FOR THE FIRST NIGHT (or possibly nights early on in your trip) because there are the other WDW on-site guests who’ve had 60 days+ however long they’re staying for.

So while I jumped on the web to book my ADR right at 6AM Eastern, there were very few slots left, so I got stuck booking a Category 1 spot. I was shooting for that anyway, but I also wanted to be early enough that I was sure to get a good seat.

After realizing what my mistake was (not accounting for all the people who were able to book days ago), I wish I had planned to do HDDMR later in my trip.

Anyway, let my poor planning be a lesson for you and learn from my mistakes.

PS - I’m still happy that I got a spot…I’m just upset that I overlooked a very key part of booking ADRs, especially since I’ve done so much planning.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

You could/ should have looked to see availability for HDDR for a date later in your trip, finding one, cancelled the ADR for the earlier booking and then rebooked for the date you’d prefer. You might have had an easier time finding a table further down your 60+ available period. Many guests do book reservations and reconfigure their plans as they get closer to their trip. Sometimes a spot that was filled does open up.

mp2bill

Original Poster
You could/ should have looked to see availability for HDDR for a date later in your trip, finding one, cancelled the ADR for the earlier booking and then rebooked for the date you’d prefer. You might have had an easier time finding a table further down your 60+ available period. Many guests do book reservations and reconfigure their plans as they get closer to their trip. Sometimes a spot that was filled does open up.
Yeah, I thought about that after booking. But here’s my situation and why that’s tough to do:
  • My parents booked a surprise trip for us through a time share exchange with RCI. They go by the week.
  • We decided we wanted to do a 7-day visit, and with two young(ish) kids, we wanted to do a break somewhere in the middle.
    • So we booked a day at Pop Century, tacked onto the the beginning of our trip so that they would transfer our bags to the DVC resort while we were in our first park.
  • It's also our youngest's birthday at the end of the week, so I booked another day on the end at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savanna view through a DVC rental. This gives us our 7 days in the parks with a day off.
Because of all this, it's a split-stay, thus making our first day effectively a single-day visit. I was thinking I could try again tomorrow for our day off, but we're taking that on the 3rd day of our stay at the DVC property, and since I already have a reservation, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, what I'm hoping for is Story Book Dining at Artist Point on our day off...but I'm a little pessimistic about the prospects of that since I checked for that for our first day once I realized my mistake, and there was nothing available as of 8AM this morning.

Thanks for your input though!

JIMINYCR

Yeah, I thought about that after booking. But here’s my situation and why that’s tough to do:
  • My parents booked a surprise trip for us through a time share exchange with RCI. They go by the week.
  • We decided we wanted to do a 7-day visit, and with two young(ish) kids, we wanted to do a break somewhere in the middle.
    • So we booked a day at Pop Century, tacked onto the the beginning of our trip so that they would transfer our bags to the DVC resort while we were in our first park.
  • It's also our youngest's birthday at the end of the week, so I booked another day on the end at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savanna view through a DVC rental. This gives us our 7 days in the parks with a day off.
Because of all this, it's a split-stay, thus making our first day effectively a single-day visit. I was thinking I could try again tomorrow for our day off, but we're taking that on the 3rd day of our stay at the DVC property, and since I already have a reservation, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, what I'm hoping for is Story Book Dining at Artist Point on our day off...but I'm a little pessimistic about the prospects of that since I checked for that for our first day once I realized my mistake, and there was nothing available as of 8AM this morning.

Thanks for your input though!
Sure. Still I want others who are in the spot you were in to know that just because you book an ADR you do have the option to cancel and rebook a more convenient day or time.
Many guests grab the first spot they find to get something at a restaurant they dearly want, are disappointed with what they got but glad they got in and don’t go back to check for a spot that may open up.
Hope you enjoy your child’s birthday at WDW and a table opens up for you at Artist Point.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly - as an "everyday" guest you do NOT want to go to the reopening night of Hoop Dee Doo. It'll be full of insufferable livestreamers, bloggers, vloggers and lifestylers. It'll be annoying and take away from the show.

joanna71985

Honestly - as an "everyday" guest you do NOT want to go to the reopening night of Hoop Dee Doo. It'll be full of insufferable livestreamers, bloggers, vloggers and lifestylers. It'll be annoying and take away from the show.

I was there last night. It wasn't bad at all

mp2bill

Original Poster
Sure. Still I want others who are in the spot you were in to know that just because you book an ADR you do have the option to cancel and rebook a more convenient day or time.
Many guests grab the first spot they find to get something at a restaurant they dearly want, are disappointed with what they got but glad they got in and don’t go back to check for a spot that may open up.
Hope you enjoy your child’s birthday at WDW and a table opens up for you at Artist Point.
Hello! A little late in my reply here, but I wanted to say thanks! I was able to snag an ADR at Artists Point for an 8:15 slot. I want to say that there were other times available, but I read that the transition from daytime to nighttime was a cool experience (something they do with the lights), so I went with the 8:15. Plus, I really want to head down to the Boulder Ridge Villas and hang out in the lounge (or whatever it's called) after dark as that was my favorite thing to do when we stayed there 15 years ago.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So while I jumped on the web to book my ADR right at 6AM Eastern, there were very few slots left, so I got stuck booking a Category 1 spot. I was shooting for that anyway, but I also wanted to be early enough that I was sure to get a good seat.
Hmm, not sure what your issue is?? You were able to reserve a Category 1 spot that you wanted. You do know that the seats are assigned randomly. It isn't set up that the first person that books gets the front row and all, at least it wasn't in the past when we have gone there.

nickys

Premium Member
Hmm, not sure what your issue is?? You were able to reserve a Category 1 spot that you wanted. You do know that the seats are assigned randomly. It isn't set up that the first person that books gets the front row and all, at least it wasn't in the past when we have gone there.
For Hoop De Doo, the seats are assigned by booking order.

The front row of tables will be those who booked earliest for Category 1. The best tables in Category 2 will be assigned to those who booked earliest in that category.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For Hoop De Doo, the seats are assigned by booking order.

The front row of tables will be those who booked earliest for Category 1. The best tables in Category 2 will be assigned to those who booked earliest in that category.
OK, I always thought it was pretty much random. Every time we have gone, we have been right next to the stage, but I didn't think we were that early for booking those times, but I guess we were.

mp2bill

Original Poster
Oh, I read the exact opposite. I guess I’ll find out in 40ish days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom