Tickets now available for the 'Force Friday Merchandise Event' at Downtown Disney

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Naturally this is aimed at collectors, not the average consumers. Those who collect have a different set of priorities than you might hold., since we're not a homogeneous society just deal with it.

asianway

I agree. But at least the SWW are limited edition items. These are just regular old toys that like others have stated I can get at Toys R Us without having to pay $50. Except for the "free" bag. Which I highly doubt will be worth $50.
Is there a link there I'm missing with the new park specific merch or am I missing it?

Siren

Yep... there were in fact stupid people last year too!
OMG, you are so right. We can also apply this logic to those stupid people who pay to visit fake Disney World when there are real parks and beaches nearby for free! Or, those stupid people who buy computers and pay for internet when the library offers both together for free. And, those other stupid people who buy cars when they can just walk or catch a bus for a fraction of the cost.

We should all boycott the Star Wars movie and recycle instead, so we can become even more smarter than everyone else.

You'd still get crowds
Uh oh, I'll take this as a subtle hint that Disney is going to oversell this like the Halloween Party. Gosh, I hope not. LOL.

Given that the DTD Disney store is a tourist spot of sorts, it may be wise for Disney to impose an entry fee, to keep the store from being overrun with people who have no intention of purchasing anything,. not saying I like it though, just a theory.

wendysue

First Disney wants you to pay for a ticket to buy a ticket for dessert..now they want us to BUY a ticket to BUY cheap plastic stuff from China... If this wasn't so pathetic it would actually be funny :banghead: Wait, it is funny :hilarious: ( I know, I know, I don't have to participate, and I won't) but I'll still laugh anyway.

bgraham34

And this is one of the reasons why i stopped collecting Star Wars toys and the like. It just got to competitive for me. The fun was gone.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
If this sells out or nearly sells out, I am sure that it will get Disney busy trying to get Starts Wars in Disney Hollywood Studies as soon as possible. This is going to be a good test of just how many Star Wars fans will visit Walt Disney World in the years to come.

Brad Bishop

One of the ones I'm not fond about:

I have an Annual Pass.
I can't get into special events and I accept that. It annoys me a bit at how much time special events take up (try seeing the MK at night between October and December and you'll realize that 4 out of 3 nights are MNSSHP or MVMCP). That makes it kind of suck, but, OK, they're neat events.

It also sort of stinks of the special ticketed events that they're kind of selling the park twice in one day. Want to go to the MK?? That's $100. Oh, you want to be there in the evening, too?? That'll be another $70.

In the last year or two they started charging for special events inside the events. It's like a VIP room at some high dollar club but, it's Disney.

It's stuff like this that, while I adhere steadfastly to "charge whatever the market will bear", makes me think, "Guys, this is really over the top."

It wouldn't surprise me if SWW became a special ticketed event and there was absolutely no change in price for the park-hopper option or a lowering of the price on the APs. Basically something like: All parks, except DHS because of SWW and it's a special ticketed event, equals the normal price + the normal park hopper. If you wanted to get into SWW that day, too, then it's another $125 because it's all day... and a special ticketed event.

It's like when you go to the airport and they say, "Hi.. OH! You wanted to take luggage with you on your trip to far away.. Well.. That'll be another $25!.. OH, you wanted to bring your luggage back with you on your return flight.. That'll be another $25!".. With airlines, I can understand charging for extra bags but it seems like the first one ought to just be included with the price, even if the price is a little higher, than playing idiot games.

What Disney does is a bit more egregious than what the airlines do. It's almost like selling you a drink and then up-charging you for the cup. "Oh, you wanted a cup to go with that drink. We didn't expect that. We do offer collector paper cups for an upcharge of $5 for your convenience. We also offer paper towels, $3/ea., as another option."

DABIGCHEEZ

If this sells out or nearly sells out, I am sure that it will get Disney busy trying to get Starts Wars in Disney Hollywood Studies as soon as possible. This is going to be a good test of just how many Star Wars fans will visit Walt Disney World in the years to come.

Um... I am sure they already know the popularity of Star Wars. They have plenty of events over the last decade to judge fan attendance on... if it wasn't abundantly clear already.

Siren

This is from the Disney Parks blog -

Disney Parks – Force Friday Merchandise Event
September 4

Disneyland® Resort and Walt Disney World® Resort

Add to Your Calendar

There’s been an “awakening” in the force, have you felt it?

New Star Wars themed merchandise and more will land in our galaxy at Disneyland® and Walt Disney World® Resorts on September 4, 2015 at 12:01 AM (Midnight). Set your hyperspace coordinates and come to this merchandise ticketed event to gather supplies and other acquisitions in preparation of the highly anticipated film release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in December.

Offerings include:

• The opportunity to be among the first to purchase new Star Wars and Star Wars: The Force Awakens themed merchandise, including Disney Theme Park Merchandise exclusives and licensed products, including apparel, toys, pins, Magic Bands, Vinylmation™ and more. Purchase limits will apply.
  • Amenity gift – Force Friday Logo Messenger Bag
ForceFridayMessengerBag.jpg

Which “side” will you choose? No matter where your alliances fall, here are the details on where the events will take place.

• Disneyland® Resort - World of Disney® Store, Downtown Disney® District
  • Walt Disney World®Resort – Once Upon A Toy, Downtown Disney® Marketplace
Tickets for the Force Friday merchandise event are $50 per person and are limited to availability. No discounts apply on the event ticket. Reservations for the Force Friday merchandise ticketed event will be accepted only via www.DisneyParksMerchandise.com beginning August 26, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.(Pacific) / 2:I00 p.m. (Eastern).

From the comments section:

"Remaining quantities of merchandise will be available the next day. As for exclusives, there will be limited items, there will also be Disney Theme Park exclusive items, so definitely something to consider."

"In regards to the overall event. For $50, you are getting the opportunity to participate in the shopping opportunity. It is a very limited number of Guests on both coasts who will be allowed to enter the locations. It’s truly the opportunity to be the first to view and purchase the new offerings. Certainly Disney Theme Park Merchandise has developed a special line of items that will debut that evening that will not be available at outside retailers. We understand that this is different than other experiences being offered at national retailer stores. The amenity gift has only been developed for the number of attendees. The product that will debut, or the remaining quantities will continue to be offered at locations throughout the Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort, as supplies last."

I really like the messenger bag and there appears to be a lot of interest, too. There are over 60 comments and inquiries into this shopping event and that is rare, lol.

ETA: The event is free for everyone!

Last edited:

LuckyOswald

Disney announced this event is now open to all guests and no longer ticketed.

Wow. Must not have sold like they thought. Makes sense though. The Disney Store retail locations are giving out an exclusive pin to the first 100 purchasers, and that sounds better to me than paying $50 for this haha

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom