Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
So why doesn't Disney just come out and admit that's why they're doing the retheme? All of this acting like they suddenly care about The Princess and the Frog is making them look like gigantic hypocrites.
Doesn’t matter at this point because it’s going. Marketability is one of the reasons Splash is going, among others.

You can accept or you don’t have to, but it’s going.

SuddenStorm

"So, what's gonna happen and I can just tell you a little bit... Tiana actually invites us as the guest to go on an adventure with her in the bayou. And the fun thing about it is that we as the guest are active participants in this adventure. She acknowledges us and just being the witty person she is she takes us on this amazing journey where we can discover characters we know and love from the film but also be introduced to new characters. And I know our guests will really embrace them."

We're doomed. This comment basically sums up modern WDI's complete misunderstanding of attraction design. Attractions should never focus on the characters- they're experiential storytelling not linear like a film. And acknowledging riders directly often comes across as tacky and cheap. WELCOME RECRUITS! LETS PARTY ON THE BAYOU!

EPCOTCenterLover

Maybe I've been duped by the recent video (Stella Chase Reese is charming and wise, BTW), but I am more hopeful than ever before that this will be a high quality re-Imagining. On the other hand, Pixar Pier looms...

Brer Panther

I take back what I said about liking the concept art. After seeing it posted a million times on Twitter by Disney bootlickers, any of the charm is gone.
Tiana actually invites us as the guest to go on an adventure with her in the bayou.
I thought the ride was supposed to be about celebrating Mardi Gras. What's she doing in a bayou? And isn't the plot of the ride supposed to be about Louis trying to find his trumpet?
She acknowledges us and just being the witty person she is
Is Tiana really "witty"? I mean, she's certainly smart, but I don't recall her being quick-witted or a wisecracker.
but also be introduced to new characters.
Splash Mountain moves very quickly. We're not really going to be able to get to know these new characters. It's not like they can just have the log stop for a few seconds so Tiana can introduce us to whatever new characters are gonna be included in this ride.

Professortango1

I'd agree with his assessment. Not trying to hate on the film, just stating what I observed as well.
I agree. PatF wasn't a bomb, but it wasn't a success story either. It didn't perform as well as Pocahontas or Hunchback or Mulan, but did better than Treasure Planet and Atlantis and Hercules.

I like the movie, but its not perfect. The villain has a great first act and then they can't find anything for him to do. They even send it random frog hunter villains to add tension since the villain is so removed. I like it for what it wants to be. And the fact is was our last 2-D Disney film. RIP.

Professortango1

Is Tiana really "witty"? I mean, she's certainly smart, but I don't recall her being quick-witted or a wisecracker.

Splash Mountain moves very quickly. We're not really going to be able to get to know these new characters. It's not like they can just have the log stop for a few seconds so Tiana can introduce us to whatever new characters are gonna be included in this ride.

Tiana has personality, which is something we don't really see from Disney heroines until Esmerelda and Meg. I like Belle and Jasmine, but they are bit blank slate-y. They definitely gave Tiana things to do and say without going to sassy route like they did in the 90's.

And Splash Mountain essentially introduces the riders to new characters throughout. Most people don't board with a knowledge of B'rer Rabbit, B'rer Fox, or B'rer Bear. The Gator, Vultures, mothers in the Burrow Lament are fun original characters we get to meet and enjoy.

PostScott

Since the beginning of the announcement, everyone knew that Disney doesn't care about sensitivty.

Something interesting that someone posted on another site in regards to the retheme-

"I think the question really is that if the content has been deemed borderline offensive and necessitates change, why in the world are these rides running right now. This announcement was made last summer when Disneyland was closed and MK's version went through its annual rehab downtime shortly after. However, both attractions are running in their original "offensive" form right now.

While I understand you can't necessarily convert an attraction overnight, if the portrayals and symbolism in Splash Mountain were significant enough to warrant removal and retheming, why are they exposing guests (and young children) to these images right now? If Splash Mountain needs to be changed for ethical and societal reasons as they state, how can they at the same time justify running the attractions for months (nearly a year for MK's version) after admitting they were offensive? Is there some magical date for ethical "compliance" from Disney that they haven't revealed? Is Splash Mountain only really offensive when Imagineers are ready to start the conversion?
Disney wants to have its cake and eat it too, but that just doesn't fly with me. This announcement and PR video just confirms that Disney is as spineless as every other corporation beholden to Wall Street, and will bend to whichever way the wind is blowing so long as it results in black ink on the ledger - Virtue signaling in its purest form."

Tamandua

Since the beginning of the announcement, everyone knew that Disney doesn't care about sensitivty.

Something interesting that someone posted on another site in regards to the retheme-

"I think the question really is that if the content has been deemed borderline offensive and necessitates change, why in the world are these rides running right now. This announcement was made last summer when Disneyland was closed and MK's version went through its annual rehab downtime shortly after. However, both attractions are running in their original "offensive" form right now.

While I understand you can't necessarily convert an attraction overnight, if the portrayals and symbolism in Splash Mountain were significant enough to warrant removal and retheming, why are they exposing guests (and young children) to these images right now? If Splash Mountain needs to be changed for ethical and societal reasons as they state, how can they at the same time justify running the attractions for months (nearly a year for MK's version) after admitting they were offensive? Is there some magical date for ethical "compliance" from Disney that they haven't revealed? Is Splash Mountain only really offensive when Imagineers are ready to start the conversion?
Disney wants to have its cake and eat it too, but that just doesn't fly with me. This announcement and PR video just confirms that Disney is as spineless as every other corporation beholden to Wall Street, and will bend to whichever way the wind is blowing so long as it results in black ink on the ledger - Virtue signaling in its purest form."
I think they stopped selling Splash Mountain merchandise, so it's ok to run the ride but not sell souvineers based on it. More hypocrisy.

Brer Panther

Tiana has personality, which is something we don't really see from Disney heroines until Esmerelda and Meg. I like Belle and Jasmine, but they are bit blank slate-y. They definitely gave Tiana things to do and say without going to sassy route like they did in the 90's.
Tiana does indeed have personality, I'm just not sure if I would describe her as "witty". When I hear "witty", I think "snarky, quick-witted, sassy, wisecracking, etc." and I wouldn't really describe Tiana that way. Does Tiana really crack that many jokes throughout the movie?

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Tiana does indeed have personality, I'm just not sure if I would describe her as "witty". When I hear "witty", I think "snarky, quick-witted, sassy, wisecracking, etc." and I wouldn't really describe Tiana that way. Does Tiana really crack that many jokes throughout the movie?
Having wit can also mean being inventive and being intelligent, which Tiana is. She concocts a bowl of soup with ingredients she finds in the bayou for Naveen when they’re frogs, for example.

Tamandua

I'd say Disney Genie Service is the antithesis of what Walt intended. Creating a caste system of park guests. Still disgusting to me!
Walt is dead, but people remember him with great fondness and admiration. When Iger or Chapek pass on, there will be few tears amongst the masses. I was talking to a guy who was one of the original Dapper Dans at Disneyland, and he told me about the one time he met Walt for a cast member photograph. He only had the most brief interaction with him but cherished the memory. How many tell those kinds of stories about the recent Disney overlords?

Sailor310

People are going back and forth again, was the film a bomb?, etc

Feb 2020 I posted

I found a site with all Disney films box office. TPATF is 101st vs the article above's " all-time favorite animated Disney film"

No big point to make, just that her quote isn't accurate.

FYI: I kept checking the list. Song of the South is 254th of all time Disney movies with $65M box office

el_super

So why doesn't Disney just come out and admit that's why they're doing the retheme? All of this acting like they suddenly care about The Princess and the Frog is making them look like gigantic hypocrites.

LOL what? Alice in Wonderland was a bomb and they built two rides based on that movie in the park.

It's not like they "suddenly" cared about Alice in Wonderland.

We're doomed. This comment basically sums up modern WDI's complete misunderstanding of attraction design. Attractions should never focus on the characters

That betrays what the industry is having to deal with: an audience that is extremely fixated on character interaction above all else. People would rather wait an hour to meet their favorite character and post the pictures on Facebook than bother with a nondescript ride themed to India or whatever. That's just the reality of it now.

Sharon&Susan

People are going back and forth again, was the film a bomb?, etc

Feb 2020 I posted
Not to defend SOTS as being a super popular movie (it's very much the opposite), but a movie made in 1946 just never was going to gross $200 million. Without adjusting for inflation, it's not a great metric for popularity.

Also it's below John Carter.... Though PATF probably had a smaller budget (and smaller expectations to meet) than THAT movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom