Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I’m fine with the backstory if it’s focused on the queue and QSR. I am concerned that if this is the totality of the ride this a bit too “Happy go lucky Food Networky” for a ride that features a large drop.

In food terms this story is half baked. Needs a heaping tablespoon more “Bayou” and a full cup more of “Adventure” to fit the recipe. And let in bake a bit longer, a rest before serving.

Sounds like a departure from the rustic setting that exists today which is a bummer. I wouldn’t say I’m fine with it but I’m hoping the food factory stuff is kept at a minimum and for the queue only.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
I am not sure, I think it's the tone feels off to me. When I think about the film, the world they built, and Tiana's original adventure, it didn't lead me to this direction for her major attraction. I mean, I understand what they are going for...

But someone on Twitter said: "This copy stops just short of providing a bullet-point list of Tiana Foods’s 401k and Annual Leave policies."

and maybe that's where I sit? The copy itself feels very... off to me.

I am still optimistic and a champion for this, as the movie really lends itself to creating a gorgeous attraction, and I agree the factory elements can add some fun kinetics to the attraction.
I understand. The ride will not be based on the movie, though. But, speaking of the movie, Tiana’s main goal, besides turning back into a human, is to own her own business. It’s all she talks about, from beginning to end. This story lines up perfectly with the direction Tiana was heading in, no?

We shall see.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Good point. Too bad they’ll complain the entire time.
We can count on that, definitely. It’s like watching a bunch of kindergartners throw temper tantrums when their mommies give them vegetables instead of dessert. “But I don’t carrots, I WANT CAKE WAAAHHHH!!!” Like… Shut up lol.

I’m happy this project is being led by black Americans who represent the cultural aspect and who’ve done extra homework. I read the description and connected with it. It reminds me of when a black-owned business pops up in the neighborhood and the owners throw an event to get people to come. It also reminded me of my friend, who also happens to be from New Orleans, and the bakery business she opened with her mom.

We’ll see about the next round of announcements.

Disney Analyst

I understand. The ride will not be based on the movie, though. But, speaking of the movie, Tiana’s main goal, besides turning back into a human, is to own her own business. It’s all she talks about, from beginning to end. This story lines up perfectly with the direction Tiana was heading in, no?

We shall see.

Absolutely, but I feel the movie achieves that dream beautifully for her, I want to visit the restaurant she finally opened. But owning a... conglomerate, doesn't feel as... in line with where the film left off.

I definitely do not want a book report ride, I just hope they are focusing on infusing the magic of the film into the world they are building.

I guess originally when I heard of a ride based on PatF, it was more in my head as Tiana exploring the bayou, discovering new magic and friends, and helping someone along the way (like Louis). So the direction it's going is throwing me off a bit.

It very much may include all of that still, as it does seem Tiana is in exploration mode. This very thorough backstory could just be relegated to the queue.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Sounds like a departure from the rustic setting that exists today which is a bummer. I wouldn’t say I’m fine with it but I’m hoping the food factory stuff is kept at a minimum and for the queue only.
I still support the retheme as well to be clear, I think the story makes sense as backstory presumably leading up to the attraction and in the surrounding area.

I do think the challenge will be making sure it fits the bayou/critter theme which will be more fitting with the log flume topography. But ultimately I think they may be keeping some of the actual ride elements close to the vest.

That said: If it is purely a ride based on Tiana’s business ventures without any suspense/adventure I just think that they should have built it around a less dynamic ride system. But joking aside, I think there’s more here than meets the surface.

mickEblu

I’m reminding myself that this is just a backstory. Attractions have all kinds of back stories and they don’t always show up on the actual attraction in any meaningful way. At the end of the day, the imagineers have to deliver an attraction that holds up in real life and create an adventure though a setting that people want to explore. All the concept art shows bayous and rustic theming. It’s called Tiana’s Bayou ADVENTURE. So I’m going to assume that’s what we’re getting for the most part. It’s what exists now, would take the least amount of money/ effort to accomplish and they re trying to have this attraction up by late 2024. If this ride goes down in May that gives them 18 months max.

Consumer

I admire and appreciate the reasonable and mature reactions here in this thread from DL-goers. It’s a stark contrast from the MK threads and Twitter.
It help that Disneyland has the blessing of size. There’s so much to do, the loss of one attraction just isn’t that big of a deal.

Sure, I liked Splash Mountain, but I also like that I can take the hour I would spend waiting in line for Splash and apply it to taking a grand circle tour aboard the Disneyland Railroad, or join the happiest cruise that ever set sail on “it’s a small world.”

Personally, it also helped I had a chance to ride it before it closed knowing it was the last I would get to.

I’ll never be mature about the closure of Tower of Terror, however. Damn Disney for that bastardization of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

celluloid

We shall see.

Luke's main goal of the movie was the star in was to find his mom and dad.

It would be like if Star Wars attractions were based on a main story of guests watching Luke continue to look for his mom.

the basic inciting incident does not always translate to the throughline of a theme park attraction.

Regardless of how one feels about SOTS, it did what other well done theme park rides do with their stories. They take the emotional connections to the audience and make them a part of them, not just what the main character wanted.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I am utterly confused by the backstory they have decided to come up with.... I sincerely hope it's all queue fodder, and the ride itself is the simple, magical bayou adventure we expect from this film and IP.
From your lips to the Mouse's ears. These signs have me very worried, not only from a storyline perspective, but also (and more so) in terms of aesthetic choices.

LittleBuford

I hate that I'm about to write this, because I am not someone who has ever opposed the retheme or dismissed it out of hand (quite the opposite), but the backstory as described in the linked DisneyParks Blog piece reads like something from The Onion. "Complete with a boutique farm and both a working and teaching kitchen, Tiana’s Foods is where Tiana and her colleagues create all sorts of new products that they are bringing to the world, including a line of original hot sauces." Really?! I can't imagine anything that feels less true to the tone of the film than this boiler-plate corporate language (which is a none-too-subtle harbinger of a new line of hot sauces that they're going to start selling in the parks). I'm just baffled.

SuddenStorm

I hate that I'm about to write this, because I am not someone who has ever opposed the retheme or dismissed it out of hand, but the backstory as described in the linked DisneyParks Blog piece reads like something from The Onion. "Complete with a boutique farm and both a working and teaching kitchen, Tiana’s Foods is where Tiana and her colleagues create all sorts of new products that they are bringing to the world, including a line of original hot sauces." Really?! I can't imagine anything that feels less true to the tone of the film than this boiler-plate corporate language (which is a none-too-subtle harbinger of a new line of hot sauces that they're going to start selling in the parks). I'm just baffled.

Well, it's obvious they're gonna be selling those hot sauces at the gift shop- either in Pooh's Corner or the Briar Patch. Even if developing a ride story about an employee owned coop in such a way to profit off of it is inherently ironic.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Luke's main goal of the movie was the star in was to find his mom and dad.

It would be like if Star Wars attractions were based on a main story of guests watching Luke continue to look for his mom.

the basic inciting incident does not always translate to the throughline of a theme park attraction.

Regardless of how one feels about SOTS, it did what other well done theme park rides do with their stories. They take the emotional connections to the audience and make them a part of them, not just what the main character wanted.
Wait and see.

SuddenStorm

I’m reminding myself that this is just a backstory. Attractions have all kinds of back stories and they don’t always show up on the actual attraction in any meaningful way. At the end of the day, the imagineers have to deliver an attraction that holds up in real life and create an adventure though a setting that people want to explore. All the concept art shows bayous and rustic theming. It’s called Tiana’s Bayou ADVENTURE. So I’m going to assume that’s what we’re getting for the most part. It’s what exists now, would take the least amount of money/ effort to accomplish and they re trying to have this attraction up by late 2024. If this ride goes down in May that gives them 18 months max.

This backstory is what you get when the people designing a theme park attraction think their work has meaning beyond entertaining people. When the ride is viewed as a medium to inspire change, give people a sense of meaning, or whatever the heck it is they're trying to accomplish here it distracts and dilutes the primary purpose of a theme park attraction- to entertain.

LittleBuford

Well, it's obvious they're gonna be selling those hot sauces at the gift shop- either in Pooh's Corner or the Briar Patch. Even if developing a ride story about an employee owned coop in such a way to profit off of it is inherently ironic.
Disney hypocrisy I can live with. We all know they're a Big Bad Company yet willingly buy into the fantasy they sell us. I would even happily purchase the hot sauce. What I take issue with is the use of the ride's backstory—something that should get us excited for a magical new attraction—to cynically promote a new product.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom