Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mharrington

To me it reads as they're gonna market the drop as less of "Heart stopping, thrilling, adrenaline rush filled plunge that you take to escape from Br'er Fox who's about to skin Br'er Rabbit for dinner", and more of "Oh that silly Mama Odie just sent us on a fun drop into the briar patch swamp" to make it more marketable to children

I'm still hoping against hope that they surprise us by including Dr. Facilier and his so-called "friends on the other side". It would likely be his ghost, and it would take place in his grave (since it takes place after the first movie and all), which would be the replacement for the laughing place scene, possibly trying to keep you trapped out of vengeance. Since the songs are original, I wonder if it's possible if they can do a version of "Friends On the Other Side" with modified lyrics. In any case, as you climb the lift to the big drop, you would hear them ominously chanting "Are you ready?" The little section of Br'er Fox's cave where Br'er Rabbit once stood, all tied up, could be where Mama Odie tries to save you in the nick of time, but overdoes it accidentally and sends you into the swamp below. Hence, the big drop. Seriously, the laughing place and the lead-up to the big drop would be a perfect spot for the Shadow Man.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
I'm still hoping against hope that they surprise us by including Dr. Facilier and his so-called "friends on the other side". It would likely be his ghost, and it would take place in his grave (since it takes place after the first movie and all), which would be the replacement for the laughing place scene, possibly trying to keep you trapped out of vengeance. Since the songs are original, I wonder if it's possible if they can do a version of "Friends On the Other Side" with modified lyrics. In any case, as you climb the lift to the big drop, you would hear them ominously chanting "Are you ready?" The little section of Br'er Fox's cave where Br'er Rabbit once stood, all tied up, could be where Mama Odie tries to save you in the nick of time, but overdoes it accidentally and sends you into the swamp below. Hence, the big drop. Seriously, the laughing place and the lead-up to the big drop would be a perfect spot for the Shadow Man.
As great as that sounds, I really doubt we'll get any Facilier becuase of the fact he hasn't been mentioned once this entire time, and the lack of Keith David being mentioned in the ride credits at D23. Of couse, they could indeed be hiding him to surprise riders, but I wouldn't hold my breath

mharrington

As great as that sounds, I really doubt we'll get any Facilier becuase of the fact he hasn't been mentioned once this entire time, and the lack of Keith David being mentioned in the ride credits at D23. Of couse, they could indeed be hiding him to surprise riders, but I wouldn't hold my breath

Which is why I said they surprise us by doing so. At this moment, we barely know anything about the ride, just a few little odds and ends here and there, so anything is possible.

_caleb

Aren’t there other options besides calling in Keith David? Like audio lifted from the film? Or another actor voicing Facilier? I’ve heard this mentioned several times here as evidence he’s not in the ride, and I’m just trying to understand.

mickEblu

Aren’t there other options besides calling in Keith David? Like audio lifted from the film? Or another actor voicing Facilier? I’ve heard this mentioned several times here as evidence he’s not in the ride, and I’m just trying to understand.

I think they could easily use audio from the film.

Keith David’s name not being mentioned is just one more reason I don’t believe Facilier will be there. If you consider why this retheme is happening, who is leading the project and read the PR stuff they ve been putting out as well as the attraction backstory it’s easy to come to the conclusion.

mharrington

I think they could easily use audio from the film.

Keith David’s name not being mentioned is just one more reason I don’t believe Facilier will be there. If you consider why this retheme is happening, who is leading the project and read the PR stuff they ve been putting out as well as the attraction backstory it’s easy to come to the conclusion.

As I said before, we still don't know what's happening yet. We only have a few little bits and pieces here and there. What's more, Splash Mountain hasn't even shut down yet. While a closing date is set for WDW's version, we still have nothing of the sort for Disneyland's version (although it probably won't be until after the Mickey ride in Toontown opens so as not to lose capacity). Between the limited information we have about the ride, coupled with the fact that the original ride hasn't even closed yet, anything can happen. Like I said, they just might surprise us and include Dr. Facilier after all. Plus, let's not forget that we also have to contend with a five-story waterfall, which was kind of the reason the ride was made in the first place. I would think there should be some kind of a buildup to it, and Dr. Facilier and his "friends on the other side" would be a great way to do it. Once again, we don't know all the details yet, so anything can happen.

Kirby86

If they were going to use one Splash as a trial run to see if it was a good change over it would be Disneylands. Worlds is a little more indepth with their set design. I'm guessing the top brass are pretty bullish on lands overly not takeing as long to convert.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
It is possible someone else comes in to voice Facilier, but how they were pushing the fact the movie's cast was returning at D23, with Anika Rose (Tiana), Bruno Campos (Who I believe is coming out of VA retirement for Naveen), Michael Wooley (Louis) and Jennifer Lewis (Odie), makes it appear he's not going to be included. Of course, I, as well as many of us, would love to be proven wrong when the ride opens and we all find he's there and is menacing the final hill, but what we've been given, it's unlikely.

Last edited:

Kirby86

It is possible someone else comes in to voice Facilier, but how they were pushing the fact the movie's cast was returning at D23, with Anika Rose (Tiana), Bruno Campos (Who I believe is coming out of VA retirement for Naveen), Michael Wooley (Louis) and Jennifer Lewis (Odie), makes it appear he's not being to be included. Of course, I, as well as many of us, would love to be proven wrong when the ride opens and we all find he's there and is menacing the final hill, but what we've been given, it's unlikely.
Honestly I'd be more upset if they recast Facilier then just not having him in the ride at all.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
If they were going to use one Splash as a trial run to see if it was a good change over it would be Disneylands. Worlds is a little more indepth with their set design. I'm guessing the top brass are pretty bullish on lands overly not takeing as long to convert.
This is more a case of "DL can't pull their Splash yet because several E Tickets are going down for refurbs in January and MMRR is opening so they need capacity whereas Florida doesn't and can close theirs for the retheme" So it isn't a "trial run" on either coast.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
As I said before, we still don't know what's happening yet. We only have a few little bits and pieces here and there. What's more, Splash Mountain hasn't even shut down yet. While a closing date is set for WDW's version, we still have nothing of the sort for Disneyland's version (although it probably won't be until after the Mickey ride in Toontown opens so as not to lose capacity). Between the limited information we have about the ride, coupled with the fact that the original ride hasn't even closed yet, anything can happen. Like I said, they just might surprise us and include Dr. Facilier after all. Plus, let's not forget that we also have to contend with a five-story waterfall, which was kind of the reason the ride was made in the first place. I would think there should be some kind of a buildup to it, and Dr. Facilier and his "friends on the other side" would be a great way to do it. Once again, we don't know all the details yet, so anything can happen.
I think its best not to get your hopes up on this one, its not likely that Facilier will be part of the attraction. There are many other ways to present the drop, some of which don't include having to use dread.

Rich T

…There are many other ways to present the drop, some of which don't include having to use dread.
I honestly cannot think of an example where dread is not part of how a ride drop is presented. People adore the dread/drop relationship. Drops are supposed to be intimidating. That’s why they’re there.

We’re all overthinking this. The drop is scary. The new theme is going to appeal to the exact same crowd as the old theme; it will be no more or less family-friendly than before. The lines will be just as long, people who hate drops will still avoid it, and kids too short to ride will still cry until their parents buy them a plushie as compensation.

Maybe Facilier will appear as a tiny cardboard cutout looking angry in the background (the “Ariel Solution”).

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly cannot think of an example where dread is not part of how a ride drop is presented. People adore the dread/drop relationship. Drops are supposed to be intimidating. That’s why they’re there.

We’re all overthinking this. The drop is scary. The new theme is going to appeal to the exact same crowd as the old theme; it will be no more or less family-friendly than before. The lines will be just as long, people who hate drops will still avoid it, and kids too short to ride will still cry until their parents buy them a plushie as compensation.

Maybe Facilier will appear as a tiny cardboard cutout looking angry in the background (the “Ariel Solution”).
I agree, my point was just that they can present the drop in many ways including without dread and without having to use Facilier and the friends from the other side conceit.

Do I believe they'll do it without any sort of dread, no. I'm sure there will be some dread, as it is a huge drop after all.

I do think it would be fun to add some reference to Facilier somewhere as a kind of hidden fan easter egg.

Kirby86

This is more a case of "DL can't pull their Splash yet because several E Tickets are going down for refurbs in January and MMRR is opening so they need capacity whereas Florida doesn't and can close theirs for the retheme" So it isn't a "trial run" on either coast.
I know it isn't a trial run I just saw that some people brought that up. Both coasts are a go for Tiana.

Practical Pig

I agree with most of this, but I'm not sure that the re-theme will appeal to the exact same crowd. Much the same yes, but I think that with Splash becoming a Princess Ride, the appeal will be extended to a new young audience, and there will be more too-short crying children than now, most them young girls, and many of them young African American girls.

It will be a Disney Princess brand ride that won't allow many of the Princess-adoring tots to ride. But yeah, the same Splash riders today will "ride Tiana" tomorrow. No doubt.

Rich T

I agree with most of this, but I'm not sure that the re-theme will appeal to the exact same crowd. Much the same yes, but I think that with Splash becoming a Princess Ride, the appeal will be extended to a new young audience, and there will be more too-short crying children than now, most them young girls, and many of them young African American girls.

It will be a Disney Princess brand ride that won't allow many of the Princess-adoring tots to ride. But yeah, the same Splash riders today will "ride Tiana" tomorrow. No doubt.
For the littlest fans, Disney could replace Pooh’s meet n’ greet with Tiana and Louis. Maybe they’ll convert the Pooh ride into a swamp playground. It would actually be an improvement.😃

Fox&Hound

Sadly, I think Dr. Facilier and his voodoo magic were cut ifrom the ride in an effort to be politically correct. Whether it be that it villanizes voodoo or uplifts it, I am not sure, but I am sure some focus group sat down and decided it should not be included.

mickEblu

Sadly, I think Dr. Facilier and his voodoo magic were cut ifrom the ride in an effort to be politically correct.

Bingo. But you have to wonder why the walk around character is allowed to exist? I guess the walk around character isn’t explicitly engaging in any voodoo. Plus they can retire him anytime they choose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom