Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

denyuntilcaught

I will say, I really do like and respect the approach they're taking in developing TBA. Consulting with local professionals, while also a great PR play, hopefully translates to a conscious yet fun approach to the attraction.

mickEblu

The writing may be on the wall. They re so focused on being “authentic” that I fear making a fun and entertaining theme park ride is not being prioritized. Stressing a lot of words like authentic, celebration and new. Granted the flume and ride layout aren’t changing but as a theme park/ Splash Mountain fan as well as a fan of the PatF movie I’m not fond of the buzz words they keep throwing out there. In other words if you re a fan of the first movie, it’s characters and songs, and just a compelling well rounded adventure with some sense of suspense/ danger you should probably be concerned.

Of course the PR pieces are always fluff x 1000 but this feels different and to be honest this Splash conversion to PatF is different than anything we’ve experienced before.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I also think they re trying to avoid being a “book report” ride but they re going about it the wrong way. Trying not be a book report ride doesn’t mean getting rid of the things people love from the movie. You avoid being a book report with great execution by creating a connection and sense of intimacy while at the same time making the rider feel like they re in on the adventure.

Besides I don’t think anyone has a problem with book report rides unless its passive and boring. Think Alice/ Pan vs Mermaid.

Last edited:

Dear Prudence

I also think they re trying to avoid being a “book report” ride but they re going about it the wrong way. Trying not be a book report ride doesn’t mean getting rid of the things people love from the movie. You avoid being a book report with great execution by creating a connection and sense of intimacy while at the same time making the rider feel like they re in on the adventure.

Besides I don’t think anyone has a problem with book report rides unless its passive and boring. Think Alice/ Pan vs Mermaid.
Isn't it supposed to be connected to the TV show which isn't out yet?

CaptinEO

I LOOOVE that they commissioned this actual artist in developing this ride. Her art is full of personality and 100% lends itself to a dark ride treatment. Hopefully they lean into this aesthetic. Most in-house WDI art has been mediocre for over 10 years now.
Please this. More artists not photoshop illustrators. We went from having decades of concept art that are poster worthy to things like the fantasmic 2.0 reveal artwork.

mickEblu

I mean the concept art is cool but I’m more concerned with how the attraction turns out and not some concept art that fades into obscurity. Especially when concept art is rarely accurate in portraying the final product. With that said, I get that the two things are not mutually exclusive. It’s just hard to get excited about concept art when you re sensing a big fumble.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

mickEblu

Upcoming television series​

In December 2020, Disney announced a television spin-off titled Tiana will be released on Disney+ in 2023.[118][119] It will be among the first spin-offs of a Walt Disney Animation Studios film to be produced by the studio itself rather than Disney Television Animation.​

Oh I’m aware of the show. Her question was if the “new” attraction was supposed to tie in to the new show. That to my knowledge has not been mentioned by Disney.

Brer Panther

They re so focused on being “authentic” that I fear making a fun and entertaining theme park ride is not being prioritized. Stressing a lot of words like authentic, celebration and new.
It kind of gives me the mental image of the entire ride just being Louis rambling about New Orleans and its history.

MoonRakerSCM

The writing may be on the wall. They re so focused on being “authentic” that I fear making a fun and entertaining theme park ride is not being prioritized. Stressing a lot of words like authentic, celebration and new. Granted the flume and ride layout aren’t changing but as a theme park/ Splash Mountain fan as well as a fan of the PatF movie I’m not fond of the buzz words they keep throwing out there. In other words if you re a fan of the first movie, it’s characters and songs, and just a compelling well rounded adventure with some sense of suspense/ danger you should probably be concerned.

Of course the PR pieces are always fluff x 1000 but this feels different and to be honest this Splash conversion to PatF is different than anything we’ve experienced before.
It's obvious they're more focused on pandering and showcasing their 'care' for New Orleans culture than making a fun, well thought out, functional, story centric attraction.

This art work, what is it? Is it the influence for the scenes that will be in the beginning of the ride? End? Will the laughing place be changed into a fun musical frog extravaganza freaturing characters like what they showed us? Did the art influence the ride or the ride influence the artwork? They've been showing NOTHING about the ride and instead are using the redo as a chance to score social media points for 'caring' about things.

What this is was a showcase of a piece of art you'll be able to buy from the bank on Mainstreet for the first few months after the ride opens.

Brer Panther

Not knocking the art, but if it's indicating that most of the critters on the attraction will be replaced by frogs... honestly, it just reeks of laziness on Disney's part.

"The title of the movie is The Princess and the Frog, so there must be frogs everywhere!"

I mean, the movie did have other animals besides frogs. Gators, a beaver, a turtle, spoonbills...

Rich T

Also, whatever the final ride story, I want Louis suddenly lunging out of a hiding spot and blasting his trumpet—full volume—at guests to be a recurring jump scare! 😃
(Edit)
And add that to the end of “Snow White’s Crappy Wish,” too!

Dear Prudence

Not knocking the art, but if it's indicating that most of the critters on the attraction will be replaced by frogs... honestly, it just reeks of laziness on Disney's part.

"The title of the movie is The Princess and the Frog, so there must be frogs everywhere!"

I mean, the movie did have other animals besides frogs. Gators, a beaver, a turtle, spoonbills...
It's literally just an artistic suggestion. It's literally just a painting. One painting. We have no idea what the other painting will look like, or if she has any idea what the ride will even be. There were other animals in her other painting.

Like, I adore you, my dude, but stop inventing stuff, please 🙏🏽

Disney Analyst

How is the art indicating that? It’s one depiction of one moment…

Did I miss some declaration in that painting that only frogs will exist on the ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom