Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

CaptinEO

“Tiana’s Bayou SPLASH” would have been a far better name.

Logo sucks too.

At the end of the day, this is a thrill ride. I hate how they’re downplaying it from everything I’ve seen so far. You will see a lot of angry parents when they unknowingly ride it with their small children if they keep this up.
I'm sure they'll be very upset, it's not like you walk around the giant outdoor drop while you wait for the line.

Not every name has to categorize the ride type.

waltography

Aside from the overuse of the word “adventure” does the fact that Adventureland is a couple lands away bother anyone else in a redundant kind of way.
I didn't make the Adventureland connection since we've already got two other rides in Disneyland proper with Adventure in the name: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh ("the Pooh ride") and Indiana Jones Adventure ("Indy").

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the new look for Tiana from the EssenceFest panel this afternoon -

"From researching prevailing trends of the 1920s – the era in which our story takes place – to looking through family archives, the team ensured Tiana’s look was historically accurate and authentic to the character. “Tiana was equally at home in the bayou as she was at a banquet,” Muldrow said. “We wanted her look to reflect that, and be a compliment to the story’s setting.”

Attendees heard about the creative process as well, and the considerations taken in developing a unique hairstyle for Tiana. The team placed emphasis on the versatility of Black women’s hair and its significance to our identity across geographies and generations.

There’s an important story about the Black community that needs to be told, and to be able to do it at ESSENCE Fest is something special. Ida shared in our intention and enthusiasm for revealing this concept at ESSENCE Fest. “Our efforts are a tribute to the beauty and dignity of all the proud Black women who came before us,” Muldrow said. “And to their great-grand daughters joining us on the journey today, we’re celebrating with you.” Our team has spent a great deal of time to ensure our representation of Tiana is authentic, and giving festival goers a first look at that research proves we’re doing something right."

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

"From researching prevailing trends of the 1920s – the era in which our story takes place – to looking through family archives, the team ensured Tiana’s look was historically accurate and authentic to the character. “Tiana was equally at home in the bayou as she was at a banquet,” Muldrow said. “We wanted her look to reflect that, and be a compliment to the story’s setting.”

Attendees heard about the creative process as well, and the considerations taken in developing a unique hairstyle for Tiana. The team placed emphasis on the versatility of Black women’s hair and its significance to our identity across geographies and generations.

There’s an important story about the Black community that needs to be told, and to be able to do it at ESSENCE Fest is something special. Ida shared in our intention and enthusiasm for revealing this concept at ESSENCE Fest. “Our efforts are a tribute to the beauty and dignity of all the proud Black women who came before us,” Muldrow said. “And to their great-grand daughters joining us on the journey today, we’re celebrating with you.” Our team has spent a great deal of time to ensure our representation of Tiana is authentic, and giving festival goers a first look at that research proves we’re doing something right."

Here for this.

Vegas Disney Fan

Is she joining S.E.A.?

She looks like she’d fit right with all the new SEA characters escaping the Rhinos in the jungle cruise.

TP2000

....Are they seriously going to say "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" is going to take place in and or around a salt dome? Are they actually going to keep the caverns/mine? I could be assuming a lot. So, take my observations with a grain of salt. ;)

Oh, dear. That YouTube video with Ms. Charita Carter was a tad messy. 🧐

And just as Joe Rohde did with all his "research trips" for roller coasters, WDI decided to play up New Orleans because it has an operating Ritz-Carlton downtown where they can set up camp on the corporate card. Never underestimate the power of Imagineering execs to spend lavishly on themselves and pretend they have to do endless expense-account "research" for a log ride. :rolleyes:

As for salt domes, sure why not?!? The salt dome theme has endless possibilities for drama and mayhem. But at least in the 1980 Louisiana disaster, all the miners made it out alive. Barely.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure - Presented by Morton Salt

Brer Panther

Meh, if nothing else, "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" is still a far better name than "New Adventures With Princess Tiana".

The amount of hyping up they're doing for The Princess and the Frog still strikes me as really weird and suspicious. For a decade they treated it as a flop and brushed it aside in favor of stuff like Frozen and Tangled. And is anybody really buying this "we want to celebrate black culture" spiel Disney is throwing at us? We all know the real reason why you're doing the retheme. Don't lie to us.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

And is anybody really buying this "we want to celebrate black culture" spiel Disney is throwing at us? We all know the real reason why you're doing the retheme. Don't lie to us.

But here's the thing -- 20 years from now, absolutely no one will remember or care about the context in which Disney (arguably cynically) announced this overlay. If it's a great ride (and again, this is such an easy home run, let's hope it's a great ride), the "real reason" for its existence won't matter.

And also, the folks in the promotional matters do actually seem sincere, and even if let's say Chapek or D'Amaro are indifferent to this sort of thing, I'd be willing to bet there are in fact men and women in Imagineering (and other dept.s) who would like to celebrate black culture in Disney parks. Seems long overdue, to say the least.

I'd actually find it suspicious if they pretended this was all about celebrating PATF, as if it's some masterpiece they'd been dying to get into the parks all along. But Disney is being pretty upfront about using this as an opportunity to bring black art and music into Disneyland, which is hard to criticize.

Tiana's Bayou Adventure is still a terrible, lazy, arrived-at-by-corporate-committee name, though.

Meh, if nothing else, "Tiana's Bayou Adventure" is still a far better name than "New Adventures With Princess Tiana".

Definitely agree with you there.

BasiltheBatLord

The amount of hyping up they're doing for The Princess and the Frog still strikes me as really weird and suspicious. For a decade they treated it as a flop and brushed it aside in favor of stuff like Frozen and Tangled. And is anybody really buying this "we want to celebrate black culture" spiel Disney is throwing at us? We all know the real reason why you're doing the retheme. Don't lie to us.
Agree, unless I really missed something PatF was considered a somewhat forgotten disappointing flop for years, now all of a sudden it’s treated as this classic. I guess cause it fits the narrative of the times.

Vegas Disney Fan

Agree, unless I really missed something PatF was considered a somewhat forgotten disappointing flop for years, now all of a sudden it’s treated as this classic. I guess cause it fits the narrative of the times.
I just see it as hyping the new ride, Tiana‘s been in parades and available for meet and greets for years so it wasn’t like they completely ignored her existence, if Disney announced a Brave ride tomorrow I’d expect the same hype for Merida despite her also being mostly ignored for the last decade beyond parades and meet and greets.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I like the name. Much better than names with subtitles and punctuation marks.
I don't know. I was kind of hoping for "Princess and the Frog: Tiana's Bayou Soirée" with the colon and accent mark as fireflies. Wordy but better than Adventure. Plus I liked that the word origins for "Soirée" are French, ideal for a New Orleans-themed attraction.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom