Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

el_super

Which is legitimately pitiful if people are seemingly just perfectly content with shoveling out almost 200 bucks a day for attractions where the vast majority of the lights aren't on. People get exactly what they deserve, I guess!

People don't pay $200 just for the attractions.... they are spending that money on a day out with their family. Taking pictures, watching shows, eating snacks and meeting characters. It's a whole package. That's probably why it's easy to accept all these supposedly unacceptable issues.

There's just no excuse.

I guess there is, if people, even the people who keep reporting on these issues, keep going.

Disney Analyst

Imagineers will be working on transforming the classic Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog attraction at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom at Disney World. (Disney hasn’t yet determined an unveiling date, but more details will be shared at ESSENCE Festival in July.) As the first attraction centered around Disney’s first Black princess, Carter is grateful for the honor to be leading its creation.

“When I think about what this project means to my parents, there’s that aspect. And then when I think about the young people, there’s just the full gamut, multi-generational impact. We are taking our responsibility very seriously,” Carter says. “I feel privileged and honored to be in a driving seat where I can help influence the choices that we make because like I said, we have a big responsibility and we plan to deliver.”

Dear Prudence

Imagineers will be working on transforming the classic Splash Mountain into a Princess and the Frog attraction at Disneyland and Magic Kingdom at Disney World. (Disney hasn’t yet determined an unveiling date, but more details will be shared at ESSENCE Festival in July.) As the first attraction centered around Disney’s first Black princess, Carter is grateful for the honor to be leading its creation.

“When I think about what this project means to my parents, there’s that aspect. And then when I think about the young people, there’s just the full gamut, multi-generational impact. We are taking our responsibility very seriously,” Carter says. “I feel privileged and honored to be in a driving seat where I can help influence the choices that we make because like I said, we have a big responsibility and we plan to deliver.”
This is wonderful for her, and her work should absolutely be recognized. She seems like the perfect person for this task. However, they can talk about responsibility, it is not going to fix Disney's broader performance issues. This is one of the things I am worried about--this moment means a lot to a lot of folks, and what is it going to say to them when their special moment is breaking and the screens aren't working and rotting less than a year into it being open? Like this has got to stop. Yes, there IS a responsibility, and this IS important, but nothing about what Disney does is responsible. I hope that Carter receives all of the accolades she deserves, but I also hope that Disney is responsible and respects her work BY KEEPING TIANA MOUNTAIN ACTUALLY RUNNING.

GoneForGood

Posted this in the WDW thread, but sharing here as well:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it a little odd how they barely-- if at all have referred to the overlay as "thrilling".

I mean, I suppose they are marketing the theme of it first rather than the fact that it's a thrilling attraction, in a sense it would sell itself.

With the original Splash they made sure to let us know the ride was thrilling and how important it was to the story. Using phrases like "longest, fastest, wettest log flume!" and constantly referring to the Briar Patch plot point. Perhaps that kind of thing will come after a more in-depth announcement comes out? I would hope so, personally.

Disney Analyst

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I find it a little odd how they barely-- if at all have referred to the overlay as "thrilling".

I mean, I suppose they are marketing the theme of it first rather than the fact that it's a thrilling attraction, in a sense it would sell itself.

With the original Splash they made sure to let us know the ride was thrilling and how important it was to the story. Using phrases like "longest, fastest, wettest log flume!" and constantly referring to the Briar Patch plot point. Perhaps that kind of thing will come after a more in-depth announcement comes out? I would hope so, personally.

It may be deemed unimportant when most of us already know what the ride itself feels like. The important aspect of this is the new theme.

Dear Prudence

It may be deemed unimportant when most of us already know what the ride itself feels like. The important aspect of this is the new theme.
But what about people who have never been the parks? What about kids who were born way after it was made? What about people who are taking their kids to Disneyland for the first time because they want to ride the ride that has the princess that looks like them--finally?? Most of us may already know, but we are not the majority. I feel like that's a pretty important aspect to stress.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
The ride hasn’t even started construction yet. Splash is still open, with no closing date scheduled. In time, they will be sure to let guests know about the ride experience.

Guests will know in 10 years, when the ride is open. No need to know now when it doesn’t exist.

Brer Panther

I find it amusing that the article talks about how the retheme is going to "honor" Tiana and "give the character of Tiana depth and a dimensional space". Isn't Tiana only going to appear in the attraction twice? Maybe if they were talking about "honoring" Louis (and even then, it's not exactly "honoring" him if they're going to portray him as a moron who can't find his trumpet)...

And did they just confirm that the ride's gonna have logs floating through a flooded New Orleans? That's not gonna remind anyone of the hurricanes they've suffered from, is it?

Disney Analyst

But what about people who have never been the parks? What about kids who were born way after it was made? What about people who are taking their kids to Disneyland for the first time because they want to ride the ride that has the princess that looks like them--finally?? Most of us may already know, but we are not the majority. I feel like that's a pretty important aspect to stress.

I mean, you literally walk by the ride, and see a HUGE drop. And then the ride will have warning signs explaining the experience.

I am sure when it comes to ride opening and marketing, it will be mentioned, not really important right now.

Dear Prudence

I mean, you literally walk by the ride, and see a HUGE drop. And then the ride will have warning signs explaining the experience.

I am sure when it comes to ride opening and marketing, it will be mentioned, not really important right now.
I was literally asking about people who had never been to the parks, who knew nothing about it, who would be going for the first time. Disney is niche and I think we are severely under estimating that.

GoneForGood

The ride hasn’t even started construction yet. Splash is still open, with no closing date scheduled. In time, they will be sure to let guests know about the ride experience.

Guests will know in 10 years, when the ride is open. No need to know now when it doesn’t exist.

Fair! I was thinking more on how it ties into the story and plot of the overlay. I was mainly thinking of the way the story and the drops/thrills are blended in Splash. it is a part of what make it so great. What I was thinking and what I typed came out totally different, sorry for any confusion.

Either way, I agree. We'll have to wait for Disney to drop some real plot details. This project has me hooked.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Great observation. As some have pointed out, this may be because "Splash Mountain = amusement park log ride" is already so widely known by the general public.

But I also think it's because of the dissonance between the attraction they've backed themselves into a corner promoting (which is aspirational, and speaks to young girls who dream of being princesses) and the reality of the infrastructure of arguably Disneyland's most thrilling ride.

Tiana is a perfect fit for New Orleans Square and a log flume, but the target audience for a PATF ride with no scary Dr. Facilier elements and instead focused on Louis losing his trumpet and in which Tiana speaks directly to riders (with preschool-teacher-style enunciation, I'm sure) doesn't quite line up with the target audience for a flume with a coaster-drop in the dark.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
People don't pay $200 just for the attractions.... they are spending that money on a day out with their family. Taking pictures, watching shows, eating snacks and meeting characters. It's a whole package. That's probably why it's easy to accept all these supposedly unacceptable issues.

For a family of 4, that $200 a day is actually $800. Plus marked up food & merchandise, closer to $1000 probably. I can think of several other places to take pictures, watch shows, eat snacks, and meet "characters" (maybe not the kid-friendly kinda characters) for much, much less.

One day at Disneyland for my wife and I, is one months worth of a Tesla car payment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom